6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2015 5:37 AM by kharada46 RSS

Waikiki Courtyard

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Going solo to Honolulu for a conference which will be at Sheraton Waikiki, plus have a few business meetings in downtown Honolulu.  Being a Marriott loyalist, I prefer a Marriott property.  Waikiki Courtyard is only $159/night which seems very reasonable for Honolulu.  I dislike CY as a brand and have heard bad things about both this hotel and the Marriott flagship hotel at Waikiki.  The Marriott is $80 per night more expensive, but I am willing to pay more if it is better.  Any suggestions on whether to suck it up and stay at the CY, or whether the Marriott Waikiki is better, or whether to ditch Marriott and just stay at the Sheraton?  Can I walk there from CY?  Is it best to taxi to hotel than to mess around with a car in downtown Honolulu?  I have not had good car rental experiences at HNL, nor do I enjoy driving on Oahu.  I'm not leaving downtown during this trip - not planning on any touristy stuff outside of downtown.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Waikiki Beach
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Waikiki Courtyard
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Check out kharada46's blog entry (Marriott Waikiki v.s. Courtyard Waikiki). Lots of great info.

I'm sure he'll provide better answers to your specific questions than any of the rest of us could.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes will be looking forward to some answers. i am staying at full marroitt at both ends of a cruise in May so if CV is close tho stuff and worth it I may switch

30marine Gold 1 Reviews

clebert:

The Courtyard in Waikiki is dated and small rooms. It is clean and the staff is friendly.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hey clebert!

Weren't we just talking about your flights to HNL??

The link to my post that bejacob provided should give you a better idea as to what expect from both properties.  It is important to note, however, that the Waikiki Beach Marriott is currently undergoing renovations.  Work will be limited to public areas, so expect the same rooms:  The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa is currently undergoing an $18-million enhancement project that includes the porte cochere, hotel lobby, guest registration desk area, meeting spaces, and Kuhio Beach Grill Restaurant. The renovation project is scheduled for completion in the fall.  Oh and this property is split into two different towers, the Kealohilani Tower and the Paoakalani Tower.  The K tower is the renovated tower with updated, but still dated decor and front's Kalakaua Ave.  The P tower, while having the same amenities as the K tower, has a more dated decor and is located at the back of the property, but can still boast some great views. 

414464_4610844150692_963154148_o.jpg

Bear in mind that the Waikiki Beach Marriott charges a $30/night resort fee.  The fee includes a free cup of coffee everyday from Seattle's Best, a mac nut amenity at check-in and 2 free mai tai punches, but that hardly seems worth it.  Last time I stayed, I did receive breakfast vouchers too, but only for 1 night and I'm not sure if they still offer this to Platinums and Golds.  They won't waive the fee for Plats & Golds either.  Walking from here to the Sheraton should take about 15 minutes; the Marriott is on the far east end of Kalakaua Ave, while the Sheraton is on the west end. 

As previously mentioned, the CY is a dated property (formerly the Wyland boutique hotel).  It's located on Kuhio Ave directly up the street from the Sheraton, but expect to walk at least 10 minutes to get there still.  It's not a beach location at all and is located next to the DFS T Galleria.  The area is noisier but is centralized.  It looks like the property has made some updates recently too, installing split-a/c systems in some if not all rooms rather than the incredibly noisy window mount units they previously used.  This property is also split into 2 towers, one with the lobby, and one across the parking lot.  You'll want to stay in the lobby tower for better convenience.  And not sure if this matters at all, but there's no such thing as a room with a view at the CY. 

The Sheraton is a much nicer property than any of the Marriott properties to be sure, and it's a beach from location in the middle of all the shopping and dining.  But the price is also higher and you wouldn't get any elite benefits/earn points.  Near the Waikiki Marriott is the Hyatt Place Waikiki (think CY), which is a brand new hotel and even offers complimentary breakfast.  But again, it's going to be at least a 15 minute walk down Kalakaua Ave to get to the Sheraton.  Closer by , the Waikiki Parc may be a viable option too.  And while the rooms are stylish, the corridors haven't seen a renovation since the 1970's from the looks of them and the rooms are tiny.

11165070_10206459320183365_3935631608369480289_o.jpg

As for downtown, parking can be difficult to find and can be EXPENSIVE.  If you park in a municipal lot, you can do 2 hours for $3, but it goes up to $1.50/30 minutes after that.  Many lots charge double that.  Driving in town isn't so fun too.  I'd just cab/UBER/Lyft it if I were you. 

Ultimately your decision will be based entirely on a variety of preferences and opportunity costs.  Hope this helps!

Location Brand Hotel
    Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Waikiki Beach
    Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
      clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Thank you!  Very helpful.  Guess I will stick with CY!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Glad I could help clebert!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...