39 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2015 2:01 PM by eb5147 RSS

Parking charges at Marriott properties

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that you have to pay to park your car while spending big $$ to stay at a Marriott hotel? I have found it now becoming more common (in California anyway), to charge parking/night and even if you are sharing a room and two folks show up in separate cars, each have to pay for parking. Seems truly like a money grab.

Marriott should at minimum, look at waiving this add-on for it's elite members (similar to wifi). This additional cost adds up considerably to the consumer and the overall cost of the stay. I think it may even deter some folks from staying in the future. I get it goes to the bottom line and is easy money for the hotel and company but this add-on is pretty absurd in my opinion. I actually look at other hotels to avoid paying the parking, if possible and I stay over 100 nights/year which if you add it up, will be several $100s additionally out of my pocket or company's pocket and maybe that is why they prey upon folks as some people will shrug their shoulders as it may not be their money to begin with.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Diego, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle
San Diego, California, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town
San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Aliso Viejo, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Hotel
Laguna Beach, California, USA
LAX
  • Re: Parking charges at Marriott properties
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I agree 100%!  And they should also waive resort fees for elites. By the way, the Atlanta Airport Marriott (not the one connected by the plane train but the one nearby) has waived parking fees for me in the past without my even asking for it.  Believe me I will stay there again if I need an ATL airport hotel!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

Why don't they just waive the room rate for elites? I would really love that.

Seriously, in many cities, space and parking are a HUGE premium. Waiving all parking fees is not financially sound. Some places do waive it for elites--some only for Platinum members--but overall the company as a whole doing that is really unlikely and would create a huge revenue loss.

Also, if you are driving multiple cars, you SHOULD pay for ALL of them! Why would you get free car parking for additional cars if sharing a room?

702rugbyref Platinum

Well, in my case coming from Vegas and meeting someone in San Diego and my roomie is coming from another part, we would show up in two cars. Some cities as mentioned maybe NYC, D.C. ...maybe...but they would need to realize if I have a car, I generally have other choices and even if it is further away, folks will choose to avoid the $15-40 add-on. If you arrive and use their shuttle, not an issue or someone else pays for the parking but for those who pay out of their own pockets, it all adds up.

702rugbyref Platinum

I get them to remove the resort fees as I ask what is the fee for...their usual reply is WIFI to which I respond that I get that for free as an Elite Member.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Thank you!  I'll try that next time.  It just kills me that they claim their $25 resort fee is worth $158 or some equally absurd number!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Yeah, but what got me was that the ATL Airport CY just below that Marriott started charging for parking while the FFI next door to it is free.

Jsucool76 Gold

I understand paying for parking in Metro areas, like new York city,  DC, and stuff like that.

I don't understand paying for parking in like around Disney world. there's plenty of parking there.

702rugbyref Platinum

I get it is a revenue source and a very lucrative one for the hotel and company. $1500-4500 per day is my guess at most hotels based on $$/car and spaces. I am sure some locations exceed $5k revenue easily.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

What irritates me is not knowing (in advance) whether or not a property is going to give you Marriott Rewards points for the parking spend (included on the hotel bill) and which ones do not.  The only way to know before making a reservation is to contact the property being considered.  What a royal pain.  I don't like it.  So much so, that I would select a property that will give me MR points for the parking spend over a property that won't, just out of protest.  And what is equally perplexing is that while at some properties you don't get the rewards points (10 pts/dollar) for parking, you still get the 5 pts/dollar for putting the parking spend (included in the hotel bill) on your Chase Marriott Visa.

All parking charges billed on a F/S Marriott hotel bill should earn MR points.  Especially in this robust economy where Marriott has determined that it can afford to be miserly about doling out bonus reward points.  If it's for parking and is on a F/S Marriott hotel bill, it's a Marriott spend.  Period.

Just FYI, the El Segundo CY offers free parking and complimentary shuttle service to/from LAX.  And they're good about complimentary room upgrades too.  Very helpful front desk staff too.  It does have the new Bistro, but the lobby here has a more adult, more relaxing look and feel than most CY lobbies with the loathsome "Beast"ro concept.  It's my new go to property when doing early morning long hauls out of LAX.  It's also still a Cat. 5.

702rugbyref Platinum

Thanks pluto77. I booked into there back in January 5 rooms for two nights...exactly because of the free shuttle and free parking. They screwed up my reservation and I ended up having to secure my rooms on Century near LAX which not only cost me more per room but also parking.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I stopped driving to San Francisco when a two night parking charge was the same as a one way flight from LAX

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

$24 a day in the jw grand lakes plus $30 a day resort fee  lucky for me I'm platinum and the parking fees are waved but they should not be charging these crazy fees

30marine Gold 1 Reviews

702rugbyref:

Did you know that most of the Valet Parking for Marriott Properties are not Marriott’s they are third party venders. Talking to valet they do not work for Marriott and are paid very little and depend on tips. I do
    not know who get the $30.00 plus per car per day charge.

702rugbyref Platinum

30marine I did not know the valet was third party. In my case however, I self park unless it is 'free' valet such as the J.W. Marriott in Las Vegas.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Thank you, 30Marine. I just saw this thread and you saved me from pointing this out! I recall a similar thread some years ago, and I pointed this fact out then.

702rugbyref Platinum

No charges at a very nice Full Service Marriott at Long Beach, CA Airport!

Platinum 28 Reviews

A rare situation, unfortunately.

(Nice property with a very decent Mexican restaurant)

On the other hand the Renaissance in LB is $24 (and that is one of the cheap charges in SoCal.

superchief1 Platinum

I don't have a a problem paying a competitive fee for parking in urban full service hotels. However, I find it irritating to pay for parking in suburban properties and resorts. There is plenty of available space surrounding most of these hotels, and many only recently began charging extra for parking. Parking should be included in the resort fees and waved/ discounted for elite members.

Most MVC resorts do not charge for parking, with the exception of a few urban locations. I park for free at MVC Royal Palms and Canyon Villas, while those staying at the adjacent World Center and JW hotels pay $25+ per day. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

MVC doesn't charge for parking until they wake up one morning and discover they can get away with it.

I have a week at Waiohai on Kauai - it opened for stays in 2003 and there was no charge for parking the first  8 or 10 years  - no longer the case - simply put who shows up at Poipu beach without a car!!!!!  Guaranteed income for the HOA (at least it goes to the property - I hope.  There is a possibility that they hide giving it to corporate by contracting it out to a "friendly" company)

superchief1 Platinum

I think it will be more difficult to start charging for parking at MVC resorts that has majority ownership of weeks owners. With ownership, we get to vote for the board of directors who make these types of decisions, and most owners will vehemently oppose paying for parking. Some of the newer resorts that are primarily owned by the trust may be more likely to try to implement parking fees, but at least the fees will go to cover resort expenses, rather than pad the pockets of the corporation.

MVC pay a flat 10% management fee to Marriott. This cannot be changed. Owners pay for expenses and capital expenditures, and these are funded by annual Maintenance fees, resort income, and reserves. Therefore, the resorts are protected from corporate 'margin enhancement'.

Platinum 28 Reviews

In theory what you stated makes clear sense.  Unfortunately, whether it's an office building, a hotel or a resort , parking can, and is, a income producing arm that has spread to MVC.  Especially the Hawaiian properties.

We have seen the maintenance on our week on Kauai go from $900 to $1600 in a few short years.  The nature of the parking charges really amounts to a "tax" or "fee" to use the Vacation Club as 99.99% of all guests arrive with a car.

superchief1 Platinum

A few MVC resorts that charge for parking do not charge owners. Hopefully any parking charges will be waived when staying at your home resort. At least they should help fund maintenance and operating costs.

702rugbyref Platinum

No charges here in SHS in San Jose but parking garage is VERY small!

702rugbyref Platinum

Santa Ana CY - $9/car per night

702rugbyref Platinum

CY Midtown Sacramento - $9/car/nt.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

$5 a night here in the Coral Springs Marriott there must be 2000 parking spaces and only 20 cars here at the moment they never used to charge

702rugbyref Platinum

Revenue generating process unfortunately. I actually do look at other places to stay because of this additional 'toll'.

702rugbyref Platinum

Stayed at a CY in San Ana this past weekend near John Wayne AP. Pretty nice CY actually but they do charge $9 to park or $11 to valet. Interestingly however, there is VERY limited parking so curious what would happen if there are no spots.

brooklynlobster Silver

I stayed at the Hollywood area they charge $20 for valet  18 on your own

I  Think it's crazy after spending a week in another hundred dollars for parking is nuts

702rugbyref Platinum

I concur...sad. I think it will 'drive' folks away, especially repeat customers.

702rugbyref Platinum

Outrages parking charges around LAX including $27/day at the LAX Marriott. They should not be charging guests this rate..ridiculous!! If someone wants to park and fly, then butcher those folks and not your loyal members.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

While I get your point; to infer that those that use park and fly are not loyal members is inaccurate.  I have choices of various hotels that I can utilize Park and Fly in Boston and I always choose the Marriott Courtyard.  I know several others in my office that do the same thing and they are Gold or Platinum level.

Now, if we want to talk about the rate that some Marriott's charge for parking, I'm with you all the way!!

That is outrageous.  You can probably catch a bus or cab to the hotel and come out better by leaving your car elsewhere like people do when going to an airport that charges a lot and leaving their cars at a hotel with transportation services.

Does that hotel offer transportation from somewhere else?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Let's consider what parking fees really amount to when compared with a room charge.

A 400 square foot room with a variety of amenities can cost $300 per night while the 30 square foot parking space, consisting a of plain piece of asphalt might add another $30  to the tab.  That's 10% more fore less than 10% additional space that does not include any amenities.

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I just wish we would get points for the parking charge on the hotel bill, for parking that we're captive to if we're staying at the hotel.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Sometime you do, sometimes you don't.

In a few cases, I have gotten points for parking charges (Bristol City Centre, JW Grand Rapids). Others not so much (Marriott Georgetown, Renaissance Grand St. Louis, Renaissance Nashville). I won't say for sure, but it may depend on who owns the parking structure. If it's owned by the hotel, I'm guessing there is a better chance that you'll earn points than if it's owned by a third party. That said, I did earn points in Bristol and that was a garage owned by the neighboring shopping centre, so it's hard to say for sure.

Best to assume you won't get points for parking fees and then be happy on the few times that you do earn points.

When I stay at the Marriott in Columbia, SC; it's usually on a weekend.  The parking garage is owned by the city and doesn't even collect fees from Friday at 5 PM until Monday at 8 AM so I usually am able to get those charges dismissed if I'm going to be staying in those hours.

There is no security camera in the parking garage, though, so I've passed on staying there because I've heard of a lot of break-ins going on in the garage.

Also, one thing that gets me about people parking in garages and such is when they park at a recharging station for electric cars and don't have an electric car battery.  Very narcissistic on their part, IMO.   

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hello Insiders Crew! lindseyh has reached out to our team to help provide some information regarding this. We'll keep you in the loop as to what we find out

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...