19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2015 10:31 AM by jt15550 RSS

Platinum  challenge 9 stays

kaptainkurj Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi ,

I recently hit Gold elite via the taste of gold challenge.  I then signed up for the platinum challenge where i was told i need 9 stays to reach platinum.  What defines 9 stays?  is that 9 days at Marriott, or 9 check ins check outs.  Does staying at a separate Marriott consecutive days count as a stay?

thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum  challenge 9 stays
    joshm Member

Hello kaptainkurj, and welcome to the Insiders forum.

You ask an excellent question, and I'm happy to retrieve the details around this challenge and provide them to you! Additionally, this is the perfect place to pose such a question, as the network here is extremely knowledgeable in almost all things Marriott!

The Insiders forum is more than asking and answer questions. From travel tips and recommendations to photography, the sharing of news and industry updates, this place rocks! The community here is helpful, travel savvy, and always willing to provide support to their fellow road warrior.

If you have any questions about the forum, the site, Rewards, or would like support, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), or lindseyh. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we're here to help.

While I seek clarity on your post, I found some threads that may be of some use to you:

Re: Platinum Challenge/Gold Challenge

Re: Platinum Challenge

Re: Platinum Challenge

Again, welcome to the Insiders family, and we look forward to seeing more of you around here!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

A stay is one or more consecutive nights at the same hotel regardless of check-in/check-out activity. A stay can be one night however if you are at the same hotel two nights or more in a row (even if you check out and check back in again) that is only one stay.

You can achieve the 9 stay requirement in a few as nine nights but clearly Marriott hopes some of your stays are for more than one night.

ramoneur Platinum

you need to switch hotels;

if you want to do the quickest route, find two hotels close to where you want to be and switch, every day, from A to B to A to B to etc.

it is lame,

but it works

ramoneur Platinum

by the way: Gold Challenge "forced" me to try other hotels which I would not have tried before;

I now have an impressive "B-list" in Shanghai and ran in to some very nice hotels this way :-)

702rugbyref Platinum

Love Shanghai..any recommendations?

ramoneur Platinum

Courtyard PuXi gives great price/room-ratio, but in the walkable neighborhood of the hotel there is nothing much to do

702rugbyref Platinum

I did the exact same thing as I knew I had several planned stays. I did check in and out of nearby hotels only to get the platinum challenge completed sooner so I could start obtaining more bonus points sooner. I would have easily received platinum anyway but more bonus points sooner is better in my account.

ramoneur Platinum

BTW: did you get the "taste of Gold" this year as well?

I was invited for, and completed the, Challenge for Gold earlier this year.

I am now at 54 nights and have some 30+ nights more planned this year;

so I inquired if I would be allowed to do Platinum Challenge.

Short answer I got was: no.

I guess this is because only one challenge per year is allowed?

Do they then make an exception for 1 "taste" and 1 "challenge"?

This is an example of how loyalty/marketing schemes can have a negative effect on a company. I am very happy to stay at Marriott, but now I feel like I am "missing out" on something

(and I am not even starting about the Marriott credit card tie ins, which are ENTIRELY UNAVAILABLE for European/Dutch travelers :-( I would have been Platinum already if I had the opportunity to apply for such a card).

So I am now planning to stay maximum 20 nights at Marriott this year (so 74 by end of this year, start of next year), so I will have a maximum amount of roll over.

The 10+ nights remaining I will invest in a HHonors fast track offer.

Yes I know... The grass won't be greener over there.

But at least it will broaden my horizon and give me an alternative hotel brand whilst traveling :-)

702rugbyref Platinum

I did get the taste of Gold and achieved that so I was able to attain both higher levels faster than just through stays - helping me get both status and bonus points.

panusr Platinum 1 Reviews

Wow. You are the travel-point earner master. I admit to being somewhat savvy regarding earning points, but I have to say that you have it down.

ramoneur Platinum

thank you for the compliment;
        it helps that my boss gives me a lot of trust and freedom in choosing hotels, as long as I keep it "reasonable" :-)

panusr Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes sir. I work around individuals who work for organizations that make work-related travel reservations for them.They really get screwed. For me, the saving grace for the amount of travel I do for work (250 nights in Marriott hotels last year) are the points.

jt15550 Platinum

Nicely played.  I, too, was under the impression that one could not perform more than one challenge in a calendar year.  Otherwise it would be too 'easy', and you could go from zero status to platinum in less than 30 stays (for example).

ramoneur Platinum

...well;

as I already have 54 nights now, there would be no "loss" for Marriott's reward-scheme if a Platinum challenge was awarded;

as I wrote already, now the effect is exactly reverse.

the argument of becoming a platinum member in 30 stays (challenge gold --> challenge platinum) can be invalidated,

if the other precondition ("only a challenge for one tier higher") is maintained in COMBINATION with a pre-condition that one can only qualify for a(nother) challenge when the minimum nights base level (0 for silver, 50 for gold) has been reached.

jt15550 Platinum

I was about to say that by doing this Marriott would be giving you a ton of extra points for nights 20-50 that you would be earning the gold bonus level over the silver (+15% difference), but I did a quick calc and at $200 a night that's only 9,300 extra points they'd be giving you.  I agree that by holding off on the offer for a platinum challenge until one has legitimately earned gold would be good way to ensure the elite member was directing sufficient $$$ towards Marriott.  Frankly, I'm just glad they offer it at all - I wish Delta or United did, because I'd be a 1K'er without even trying.    I just made platinum less than 10 minutes ago by completing my challenge, btw.  Just in time for my arrival in Sydney.

ramoneur Platinum

Since I will be staying the remaining 10+ nights in Hilton hotels, I am now also rebooking my colleague (who is travelling for some time with me during the planned business trip) to those Hiltons;

As said: this is a good example of loyalty/member-schemes having the exact opposite result;

I love staying at Marriott properties, and I will continue to do so in the future, but the (perceived) unduly denial of a Platinum Challenge will now cost Marriott not only my remaining nights, but those of my colleague as well...

Furthermore, I agree with some of the "veterans" of this forum: there is too less difference between Gold and Platinum status. Why would I "waste" 24 roll-over nights for only a slight gain in points?

Last, but not least, I am starting to really resent the unavailability of a Marriott-related credit card for European/Dutch business travelers. Is there really no European credit card company who can be tied in?

702rugbyref Platinum

Very valid point on the rollover nights. Blast it next year!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

EU Marriott Credit card... Since every EU country has its own banking laws there's no possibility of an EU-wide loyalty credit card. And I'm afraid Holland has too few Marriotts to generate the kind of demand to justify the costs of setting up and running such a card. Added to this is the latest EU directive restricting bank credit card processing charges to merchants that can be as high as 3% down to 0.3% means the number and generosity of affiliate card schemes will be slashed. That means a Dutch card, already a remote possibility due to numbers has just become a vanishingly small chance.

ramoneur Platinum

yip,

as you also already explained in another tread (forgot when/where),

you are absolutely right

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...