Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2009 5:16 PM by nuhusker RSS

Insiders...you have inspired me

pltnmprincess Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Dear Fellow Insiders,

I wanted to thank you for your comments on my post regarding the Hilton bonus plan as compared to Megabonus.  Your thoughtful comments have inspired me to take a closer look at both programs to determine which one has the advantage, and to write an article about my findings.  I am not sure if it's appropriate to post it here so I am including the link:

www.travelprincessdiaries.com

Basically I compared the 2 programs in 6 categories:

-  nights vs. stays

-  time-to-earn

-  cost per point

-  points redemption

-  number of tiers

-  terms and conditions

I tried to take all your comments into account and I thank you for giving me these different perspectives.  I would appreciate if you take a look and share your feedback with me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Insiders...you have inspired me
    tjcnewyork Platinum

I really liked the comparative review and thought a) it was objective b) adds value  and c) easy read.  Thanks for posting!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Enjoyed the article.  As for number of tiers for the current Marriott promo, I recall that MR members had an option upon initial registration to sign up for 2,500 pts per night up to a maximum of 25,000 pts.  I didn't go that way because I'll easily stay the required nights for 50k pts, but there was a choice for those who stay less, and many MR members took that option.  Overall, a good analysis, but I'll stick with Marriott based upon my own intangible...quality of stay at Marriott v. Hilton, which for me carries a whole lot more weight than points.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for the analysis.

Objectively, as far as the numbers go, your mathematic conclusions make sense.  My travel pattern benefits from MR Megabonus more than HH.

Subjectively, however, there are other criteria that - for me - go into the mix.

Number one for me is my alergy to anything that smacks of nicotine or nicotine odors.  I still find spotty smoking policies at many Hilton brands, whereas Marriott's domestic no smoking policy makes being on the road livable and far more enjoyable than pre-2007. 

And, in my experience, Marriott GMs have generally been very good at enforcing the rule.

Of course, that's another subject for another thread.

pltnmprincess Platinum

Thanks everyone for the feedback. A comment came in on the website about the terms and conditions for the Megabonus.  I called MR and found out that stays booked through a 3rd party do not count toward the bonus.  In this respect it is the same as Hilton, but since Marriott also has the visa restriction, I now have to give the advantage to Hilton in this category.

tjcnewyork Platinum

COUNTRYJIM

Comparing Marriott and Hilton vs any other brand regards smoke free policy is an excellent topic.  As you suggest, do start another thread.  I look forward to the discussion.  Perhaps Pltnmprincess might be inspired on this topic as well.  Cheers to all.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Regarding nights booked thru a third party, to my knowledge Marriott doesn't award any kind of credit, i.e., pts, nights, bonuses, etc, and never have.  Still hard to imagine that as long as this as been the case, some are still surprised by it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...