9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2015 12:22 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Hotel Overbooking Practices - Interesting Analysis

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

From today's Wall Street Journal, interesting reading: The Mystery of Vanishing Hotel Reservations - WSJ   Among other things, the article explains:

When overbooked, hotels make the decision on which customers get “walked,” the industry term for moving clients to other hotels. Industry experts say guests get selected for bumping based on how long they plan to stay, which rate they pay, whether they are important clients or part of a group, and what time they arrive to check in.

In a lifetime of traveling, I've only been "walked" twice - both times well after midnight - and both led to satisfactory (or better than satisfactory) results:

• I once arrived in Phoenix at a Residence Inn only to find they were overbooked, and that they had already booked me (for the same price!) at the exquisite and sublime JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa - woooo-hoooo - died and gone to heaven!;
  • I once arrived at the Detroit Airport Marriott, was told that my room was gone, but they'd booked me in the (brand new, sufficiently comfortable, and equally convenient) Spring Hill Suites, and they comped my room for the night; for a six-hour airport stay, "free" was a happy ending...

Has anyone ever had a less-than-satisfactory experience being "walked" at a Marriott property?  (If so, what was your rewards status?  Platinum, Gold, Silver, none)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Pheonix, Arizona, USA
  • Re: Hotel Overbooking Practices - Interesting Analysis
    702rugbyref Platinum

Has not happened to me to this point. If after midnite, I would be a little upset as I would be ready to go sleepy by...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Happened with another hotel chain years ago, but not yet with Marriott.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

An interesting read. Thanks for sharing, ssindc. This sounds very frustrating, especially if it's happening so late at night! After a long day of travel, all you want to do is go to sleep!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You sure were a winner with getting moved to Camelback!!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Just once......Right outside of BWI airport. Platinum, checked in at the Residence Inn around 8PM, walked to the newish TownePlace Suites. Room was comped.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hasn't happened to me yet...

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Those are two great experiences. I'll tell you right now, you didn't miss anything with the Detroit Airport Marriott. I stayed there last year and it was acceptable but certainly nothing to write home about. A free SHS night beats it every time!

Jsucool76 Gold

I dream of getting walked and put into a nicer hotel. XD plus that compensation.