6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2015 2:04 PM by plrosati RSS

Resort fees?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Looks like I am not the only one fed up with "resort fees":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/is-the-ftc-doing-enough-to-stop-resort-fees/2015/07/09/df8e8a5a-2401-11e5-b72c-2b7d516e1e0e_story.html

How about waiving resort fees for elites, or maybe for the higher levels such as gold or platinum?  I refuse to stay at any property charging a resort fee.  It's a complete rip off.  Why can't these properties just build that fee into the room rate?  I am at a loss to understand...  I can honestly say that resort fees make me feel rage!  Or maybe offer a room rate without the resort fee and maybe those rooms aren't as desirable or you don't get a beach umbrella or whatever ridiculous perk you supposedly are getting for the resort fee.

Anyone had any luck getting Marriott to waive a resort fee?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Resort fees?
    Jsucool76 Gold

I also despise resort fees. I hate them even more when you're charged both a resort fee, and parking fee. usually can get them to waive one or the other as an elite, but not both.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

I have had luck eliminating resort fees put not parking fees. I usually ask the MR 800 line but I have asked directly at J.W. resort as well.

joshm Member

Thanks for sharing the article, clebert. A good read.

I'm interested to hear others' experiences with resort fees and getting them waived, as it sounds like this request comes in somewhat frequently it seems.

702rugbyref Platinum

I have asked and been pretty successful to have the fees waived when I ask what they are for. If I already get WiFi, why would I pay an additional fee to get the service already for free? I ask sometimes via 1 -800 and/or at check-in.

plrosati Gold 8 Reviews

I have about a 50/50 success rate about getting resort fees waived.  Mostly they waive it when I ask what the resort fee covers, and the list amenities that are automatically included with my status anyway (free wifi, etc.). Totally agree that its nuts when resort AND parking fees are charged - it can add a hefty fee to a week's stay!

plrosati Gold 8 Reviews

I have about a 50 pecentage success rate about getting resort fees waived.  Mostly they waive it when I ask what the resort fee covers, and the list amenities that are automatically included with my status anyway (free wifi, etc.). Totally agree that its nuts when resort AND parking fees are charged - it can add a hefty fee to a week's stay!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...