9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2016 4:46 PM by AndrewT RSS

Delta Privilege to Marriott Rewards - Lifetime Status

dhrfan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello.  I posted on another forum and was told to come here as this is likely the best place to get answers.  While I've had Marriott Rewards membership for approximately 9 years, Marriott hotels have never been my primary choice for hotel stays; the chain I've stayed with most frequently has been Delta Hotels and Resorts, which has been acquired by Marriott.  As a result of the incorporation of the Delta Privilege program into Marriott rewards (where I had "Platinum Plus" status), I now hold Platinum status with Marriott through February 2017.

The FAQ on the Marriott page for Delta Hotels states that "Delta Privilege qualifying nights will be converted into Marriott Rewards Elite night credits for stays at Delta Hotels and Resorts from January 1 until June 17, 2015."  I'm curious about my stays with Delta Hotels prior to 2015, and whether those will be counted towards Marriott lifetime status (similar to how Continental Airlines lifetime miles counted towards United Airlines lifetime status and similar airline mergers/acquisitions).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get lifetime stays with Delta Hotels prior to 2015 added to my Marriott Rewards lifetime status, or if Marriott plans on allowing this?  Someone on the other forum indicated that I should mention joshm.  I'm trying to figure out whether I should make Marriott my primary hotel brand going forward; more information about that is provided below.

Between January 1 and June 17, 2015 I spent 42 nights at Delta Hotel properties; I know these nights will be converted to 2015 elite nights.  If my previous stays (prior to 2015) at Delta will count towards my lifetime status, I'll likely be close (if not over) the amount of nights needed for lifetime silver status. My primary hotel programs over the past few years have been Delta and SPG. If my stays at Delta hotels prior to 2015 will count towards lifetime status I'm likely to give Marriott most of my hotel stays as I'll likely achieve lifetime gold within a few years (I'd get the credit card, choose Marriott locations for meetings, etc.). If I essentially have to start from scratch I'll likely make SPG my primary hotel choice.

Between work/vacation I'm likely going to have 60+ hotel nights over the next 3 months, many of which I can choose Marriott (or other) properties. The question about counting past Delta Privilege nights towards Marriott lifetime status will likely guide my decision as to which chain I stick with going forward.

Thanks!

EDIT:  One thing I forgot to mention earlier.  My question is specific to Elite Night credits only.  I have no interest/expectation of getting Marriot Rewards points for my Delta stays prior to 2015.  My understanding is that Delta Privilege does/did have all of the previous stay history for each member account, so the data regarding lifetime Delta nights should be available.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Delta Privilege to Marriott Rewards - Lifetime Status
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi dhrfan! I'd be happy to look into your questions for you! The team and I will do some digging around this, and I'll follow up with you once I learn more.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dhrfan Platinum

Thanks for looking into this lindseyh.  Since you're doing some investigating I figured I'd make a few more comments in the hopes of persuading someone with authority to make a decision that awarding lifetime elite night credits (but not points) for Delta stays prior to 2015 is a good idea for Marriott to adopt.  I assume that since there is no FAQ question that addresses the subject of previous Delta stays, that it wasn't a topic that was previously considered.

I know several people who had status with Delta Hotels, and they're all uncertain about whether to stick with Delta Hotels/Marriott Rewards, or to frequent other establishments.  I believe that counting previous Delta Hotel nights would greatly incentivize people in my situation to start staying with Marriott more frequently.  What's more, there should be very little cost for Marriott to do this other than the initial cost to calculate and credit elite night credits (which is probably a relatively easy task for some computer programmers).

In my own situation I estimate that I'd have approximately 200 nights spent with Delta and would be close to lifetime silver status.  With the carrot of lifetime status, I'm likely to get the Marriott credit card, stay enough nights to earn gold status on an ongoing basis, and even choose Marriott locations for some meetings I organize.  I'm very likely to strive for lifetime gold status, which would require me to earn another 300 elite night credits, and possibly even lifetime platinum beyond that, however this assumes I don't have to start from scratch.  I've been a very loyal Delta Privilege member over the past years and can easily be a very loyal Marriott Rewards member, assuming my past Delta loyalty is honoured (beyond current year transition to Platinum status).  Marriott has the potential to get lots of my business going forward, for very little cost to Marriott.  I'm only 1 member, but I'm sure there are plenty of other Delta Privilege members who would continue to give Marriott their business with the closer prospect of lifetime Marriott Rewards status.

Thanks again.

joshm Member

Hello dhrfan,

My wonderful colleague, lindseyh, checked into this for you, and it seems that, currently, there hasn't been an update or plan to count Delta nights prior to January 1, 2015 toward Marriott Lifetime status.

Having said that, we've requested an update as soon as more detailed information is released. As soon as it is, we will certainly inform you and the rest of the Insiders community. Thanks for reaching out, and for the level of detail in your posts. Great stuff.

dhrfan Platinum

joshm and lindseyh

Thank you both so much for checking into this and getting an answer.  I appreciate your efforts.  Unfortunately this means that although I've been given Platinum status with Marriott, I'm essentially starting over as a new member.  Starting next week I'll be on an assignment where I'll be crediting 60+ hotel nights over the next 3 months.  I'm about to decide whether to book primarily Marriott brand hotels, or those of another chain.  Where both options exist, I have comparable corporate rates so the choice will be based purely based on preference.  At least now I can make an informed decision.

While I'm leaning towards giving another chain most of my business going forward, I will likely stay with Marriott from time to time.  Should Marriott ever decide to provide elite night credits for past Delta Hotel stays I can always reconsider and make Marriott my preferred choice.

Thanks again.

joshm Member

You're very welcome, dhrfan.

We've also shared your perspective with the greater team, as you are probably not the only one in this situation! If we hear anything more on this subject, we will keep you informed.

mansur Platinum

Hello,

New to the community and I was inquiring about this exact situation as it relates directly to myself...I have reservations made at a Delta Property in Montreal and I am looking into changing that to Marriot or starting over at another brand..please keep us updated

jimincanada Member

I suspect there are many of us in this boat....I too have many Delta points and do not know how to merge them (if not too late)....Marriott hotel staff keep telling me to "go online" and the answer will be there....This is the best I can find.

JC

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, Delta Privilege points didn’t transfer to Marriott Rewards accounts. Those credits had to be used at Delta hotels by February 28, 2016. Any points not used by that time have been forfeited.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

You're going to want the points to count also.....Lifetime status with Marriott, as it stands today, is a combination of two targets. One is nights earned, the other is points earned. To achieve the Lifetime Elite Status, these targets are below:

Lifetime Silver.. 250 nights and 1,200,000 points

Lifetime Gold..  500 nights and 1,600,000 points

Lifetime Platinum.. 750 nights and 2,000,000 points

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...