75 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2016 8:40 AM by clebert RSS

Mayflower Hotel Washington DC

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just received an e-mail indicating that the Mayflower Hotel (Autograph Collection) will also have rooms available to Marriott Vacation Club members starting 8/1/15. I have been thinking about a trip to DC and the Mayflower looks like it is in a great location. It looks like I will need to be thinking about a trip to DC in 2017. It will be interesting to see if they have modified some of the rooms to be suites with kitchens, as is typical for Vacation Club sites.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, DC, Virginia, USA
  • Re: Mayflower Hotel Washington DC
    tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

I will be curious to see that, too.  At the moment, based on the link I have seen, there is no indication that they plan to do so.  They look like basic hotel rooms.  Marriott Vacation Club® at The Mayflower|Washington, D.C.Resort Overview | Marriott Vacation Club

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

Unfortunately, it looks like you are correct. Oh well, at least it gives me another method of paying for the room.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

The Renaissance Mayflower in DC is a wonderful, wonderful property.  It is indeed in a great location.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

It's one of my all-time favorites, so I am excited to be able to use MVC points there, kitchen or no kitchen!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

The Mayflower is now Autograph Collection and is no longer a Renaissance.  It is still a spectacular hotel.

superchief1 Platinum

There will be one total floor dedicated to Marriott Vacation Club. Keep in mind that you will not receive the MR Platinum benefits (CL/breakfast) when staying at the MVC. It appears at this time there will not be any kitchen facilities, unlike almost all other MVC properties.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

That's what I understand as well....no kitchen.  It will be hotel rooms--some with living rooms/some without depending on how many Destination Points you spend.  the Custom House in Boston are all 1 bedroom/1 living room/1 bath w/limited cooking facilities--small fridge, toaster, microwave, coffee maker & dishes (no dishwasher--hand wash in small sink).  But it doesn't appear that the Mayflower will have this. 

I was just there in May in a regular hotel room not using MR or MVC points, and there was a mini-fridge in the room.  I'm pretty sure there was a coffeemaker as well, but I can't recall for sure.  I could have sworn this place was a Renaissance, but now it says it's an Autograph Collection.  So maybe they changed the branding when they did the recent remodel.  At any rate, it's a true gem, one of the grand historic hotels in DC, and one of my all-time favorites!  The location is also excellent with easy access to lots of great shopping and dining and tourist sites, plus a couple of Metro stops are very, very close.

When I was there in Feb, there was no coffee maker in my newly renovated room (which was fabulous, btw, although very different from the old, classic styling).  There was a mini fridge.  It was on the 8th floor, I believe.  When I inquired about the lack of coffee maker, I was given vouchers for free coffees in the Edgar Bar, which was curious and sort of defeats the purpose of having that first cup of morning joe in your room in your jammies... The CL would be a closer walk... Anyway, I asked if they were going to put coffee makers back in the new rooms, and was told they weren't sure, but didn't think so.  Really wierd, no in room coffee.  Has anyone else stayed in one of the new rooms there with an in room coffee maker?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hey there, pluto77,  I stayed at the Mayflower over Memorial Day weekend and Rudy in the CL lounge told me the property was owned by some New York consortium and that it would be changing to an Autograph Collection on July 1, which it did.  He didn't say why the change and I've never stayed at an AC property so I'm not sure how they are different other than what I've seen on posts here (mini kitchens, etc.).

When I stayed there in February of this year they had just completed some of the remodeling of the rooms and the wallpaper was all autographs of famous people who had stayed there (I guess I should've seen the "writing on the wall" for a change to the Autograph Collection.........okay that was lame.)  The first time I stayed there was last fall (I missed the MRI get together at the Mayflower later in the year) and the room I had then had mirrors all over the place.  I kind of liked that decor better.  I too miss having the little coffee makers in the rooms.  Call me crazy but I do drink the in-room coffee and sometimes I like a cup of tea in the afternoon so the coffee maker was nice just for hot water.  Yes they have coffee in the lobby and I did get some vouchers for coffee in the restaurant but the CL has breakfast everyday and it is one of the best so I go there for coffee.  Still it is nice to have the little coffee makers in room if too early for CL.

And yes the Mayflower is in a great location, easy Metro access and not too bad of a walk to many of the monuments and museums.  And I love the CL at the Mayflower.

Now that I've been reading your comments, I do remember getting vouchers for coffee at Edgar.  I had forgotten that.  So, no coffeemaker in rooms after all.  I stay at so many hotels every year, sometimes the details blend together.  I also now remember that the bartended at Edgar seemed a bit put out for having to get me coffee, and there wasn't any decaf so I got hot water instead and made a cup of herbal tea.  Having said that, I am still a big Mayflower fan and have gotten great service there except for that bartender!  Also, as I mentioned in one of the NYC threads, I pack a tiny one-cup coffeemaker in my bag when space permits and when I know  I'm going to a city where the hotels don't usually have in room coffeemakers (like NYC) - it's a little cheapie I got at Target for $15.  It's not that I'm so cheap I can't buy a coffee somewhere or trek to the CL.  I just like to have the option not to leave the room, plus I bring tea bags and use the coffeemaker for hot water so I can have a cup of herbal tea in the evening.  When I was at the Mayflower the CL was just wonderful with excellent service.  It hadn't yet been remodeled to the new purple/gray color scheme, so I suspect it will be closed for a remodel soon if not currently, or maybe they will set up a temporary CL or move it due to the MVC changes?  I was at the Mayflower with my sister, and we went to the CL for dessert.  They had mini cupcakes and assorted other desserts.  When we went up to the dessert table, the attendant noticed that there were two of us and 1 cupcake left (although there were other desserts), so he ran to the back and brought out a little tray with a couple more cupcakes just for us.  So thoughtful!

I didn't get the feeling that the bar tender was enthusiastic about giving me a cup of coffee either.

I too have a mini coffee maker with metal carafe that I have previously taken overseas with me (when we had low status and no lounge/breakfast privileges and who wants to pay 4,50 euro for a cup of "Cafe Americaine"?), but have since ditched that practice and have just made the adjustment of heading to the lounge/restaurant.  The three European properties that I stayed at earlier this year had instant coffee in the rooms and unlimited coffee in the restaurant and lounge, so not a problem.  (Instant?  Meh, better than nothing.)

But no in room coffee at the Mayflower?  Disappointing.  And please, please powers that be at Mayflower, Don't.  Mess.  With.  The.  Lounge!  It's perfect the way it is!

No in room coffee, especially at the Mayflower, indeed anywhere at a U.S. f/s Marriott is just so bizarre.  What are they thinking?  (And I loved your pun. )

ndn Platinum

The Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, also has no in-room coffee.

I reached out to the Adagio property.  The provide in room Keurig's on request.

superchief1 Platinum

It was a Renaissance previously until the recent change. I like having an opportunity to use MVC points there, and hope the rooms will at least have a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker since I won't have platinum breakfast if I stay in MVC section.

MVC or no, it just would seem weird to me that they wouldn't give a platinum a comp breakfast in the CL, which is of a pretty good size.

superchief1 Platinum

It would be great if the platinum benefits are provided for a MVC stay but I am skeptical that they will be. I used to get some platinum benefits at the JW Desert Ridge when I stayed in Canyon Villas, but that stopped after the MVC spinoff.

If any Platinum member stays at the Mayflower using MVC, please post your experience regarding receiving CL access or breakfast. If not, I will likely stay in a Residence Inn, especially on a weekend when MVC point costs are highest.

I wonder why the switch from Ren to Autograph?

ndn Platinum

Being a Renaissance hotel means complying with the standards of the brand. The sheets, curtains, maintenance plans, etc., are relatively standardized. This can be good for customers, but sometimes it means spending more money or having less freedom to show some local culture for the hotel owner/manager. Renaissance-branded hotels actually do tend to have more freedom than other full-service Marriott brands though, I think, since the Renaissance brand is about some local flare. However, Autograph Collection hotels can really do things however they want. They can decorate as they want and offer different sets of services. I suspect that is a large reason why the Mayflower switched. I have stayed so far in two Autograph Collection hotels: The Siena Hotel in Chapel Hill and Hotel Adagio in San Francisco. Both offered very great service and a lot of local character. Neither had very much Marriott standards. For example, they had their individual choice of amenities, green operations, bed sheets, color schemes, etc., and there was very little that said "Marriott" around. However, both were still great hotels!

ndn Platinum

Apparently, the switch was because younger customers are being targeted, and studies show younger customers have less brand loyalty and more loyalty to the hotel itself. Thus, the Ren brand was useless.

You might be onto something with the Autograph Collection analysis.  The only one I've ever stayed at (except the newly rebranded Mayflower) is the Hotel Minneapolis which is a fun, eclectic, funky place with a lot of character and very different than any other hotel I've ever visited.  That's why I like it.  It's very refreshing.  I find the Marriott flagship properties to be really boring and tired.  I wish they'd update the décor to make it a bit more sophisticated at the Marriott flagship brand.  If you compare the décor/vibe at the Marriott flagships to Westin or Hyatt, Marriott really looks frumpy.  It's not that the Marriott flagships are bad.  It's just that they really need some modernization of the décor/vibe.  The Renaissance are really hit-and-miss, depending on how recently they've been renovated.  For example, I just stayed at the Renaissance Denver (not downtown, but the one near the old airport) and that place was desperately in need of an update.  Renaissance Savery in Des Moines is a grand old hotel and a real gem, but those rooms need updates, too.  However, Renaissance LAX was fun and modern with a very energetic feel.  And the Minneapolis Renaissance at the Depot is very historic and Victorian in style and is also an interesting hotel with character.  So I'm not sure what the Renaissance brand is, exactly, other than an attempt to provide some sort of local flavor to the traveler's experience.  Having said that, I prefer Renaissance to the Marriott flagship brand as it seems much more interesting.  And the bath and body products are better at Renaissance than Marriott.  I sure hate the THANN products that Marriott has now.  They are so strong that the overpowering heavy scent gives me a headache.

ndn Platinum

I agree about the THANN scent being too strong. I do like to stay at Marriott full-service properties though because I can pretty much guarantee consistency. As you said, Renaissance can be hit or miss. With Marriott, I always know exactly what I will get. Tired and boring is better than surprise dump. I have seen more run-down Renaissance properties than I would like. I can't afford to feel icky on a business trip or have my wife unhappy on a persona one. If a city has several property types, I stay at the Marriott full service first and then visit the others to see how they are before booking them.

The 1 yr old Marriott Marquis in DC is anything but tired.  the décor is awesome!

ndn Platinum

It's also a Marquis, which tend to be huge...    

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I stayed at the DC Marquis last summer but never again.  The staff members were great, the decor was indeed awesome, the rooms very nice but I think huge is an understatement.  Too big for me, and the CL had wonderful food, staff members who tried very hard to keep up with replenishing food but overrun with many, many adults and screaming kids.  I prefer a little smaller, more intimate hotel like the Mayflower.

ndn Platinum

This is exactly why I don't like the Marquis brand in general. My stay at the Marquis in SF gave me an INTERNAL window--overlooking the lobby. I don't want that in a hotel EVER! There were too many people walking around. It just wasn't my style. It was like a casino and highly impersonal. My stay at the NYC Marquis was a bit better, but still I would prefer to stay at a regular Marriott.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Uh oh.....Marriott is messing with our "go to" DC hotel.....well, I hope it retains the charm.

Okay, just booked the Fri and Sat after Thanksgiving. A $119 prepay rate or $129 regular was available. Let's keep our fingers crossed here!.

Mrs' Pained has never seen the White House done up for the holidays, so this works out well.

Please let us know if they've done anything to the - Oh ya, I'll be in DC in early Nov.  I'll let you know then, if they've messed with the CL!

I'm really interested to see the whole hotel. We've been there twice in the last three years and both times were upgraded to the GIANT SIZED two room suite. I'll bet if they are looking to get the Marriott Vacation Clubbers into the mix, these GIANT SIZED suites could be revamped to include a kitchenette, Residence Inn style.

I think you are right.  I've stayed in those suites thanks to an upgrade, and they could be made into MVC villas for sure.  I hope they do that!

For those MVCI folks, I just ran across this:

https://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

It doesn't look like there will be any kitchens.  Looks the same rooms as non-MVCI rooms.

robito64 Gold

I stayed there a few months ago (February I think), and they were still under renovation.  They were small rooms, and still not fully furnished.  I had to ask for a room that actually had a desk so that I could do some work.  The location is great, and I always enjoy a trip to DC. 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

The Points Guy stayed here recently and posted this write up today:

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/07/mayflower-hotel-washington/

vaboywnder, thanks for the link.  So glad to see a favorable review.  The Mayflower is one of my all-time favorite hotels of any chain anywhere

I'm glad that on account of ThePointsGuy's "Gold" status, he was upgraded to a suite "big enough to hold a campaign meeting".  Last February (cold weather and off season), my "Platinum" status didn't get me as much, although my room was a corner room, and very large, with a furnished foyer.  I have no complaints.

I will say that though I appreciate ThePointsGuy as much as anyone else, I was disappointed with his review.  He didn't address the lack of in-room coffee service, nor did he mention anything about the CL.  Breakfast served in the lobby bar?  What is this?  My last stay a few months ago, the weekend breakfast buffet was served in the CL.  So what's going on?  Inquiring minds want to know.

IMG_1370.JPG

IMAG4894.jpg

IMAG4893.jpg

IMAG4895.jpg

IMG_1369.JPG

IMAG4897.jpg

pluto77,

Nice room pictures!  I left a comment for Brian aka "The Points Guy" to see if he was able to give us more details about the CL and breakfast and whether or not his breakfast was still free since he is a gold member. 

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hey there pluto77 I too was a bit disappointed in The Points Guy review.  In the second paragraph he said:

"After being a Renaissance Hotel for more than 70 years, the Mayflower joined Marriott’s Autograph Collection on July 1."

Gosh I don't think so, in fact I know so.  In the little book I bought about the hotel when I stayed there last November it says "By 1981 the Mayflower was a Stouffer Hotel........"  And at the end of the book it says "The Mayflower, now a Renaissance Hotel, operated by Marriott........."  The book's copyright date is 2007 so that is far short of 70 years.

Also I just went on Marriott's website to look at pictures of the Mayflower (I didn't take any when I was there over Memorial Day) and here is a shot of the autograph wallpaper; this room is very similar to the one I had.  But what really makes me nervous is that of the 34 pictures there was NOT ONE of the CL and I'm positive there was at least one before the switch to the Autograph Collection.  Boo hoo!!  I sure hope it is still there.

insidenji,

Your right about the statement of the Mayflower being a Renaissance property for over 70 years as being false.  I'm not sure how that misinformation came about in his review.  I did however find this from wikpedia:

"Nestlé sold its Stouffer Hotels brand to New World Development Company of Hong Kong in April 1993. The hotel now was formally known as the Stouffer Renaissance Mayflower Hotel.  Marriott International bought the Renaissance Hotels subsidiary from New World Development in February 1997, a which time the hotel adopted the name Renaissance Mayflower Hotel."

Apparently the first time it had the Renaissance name was 1993.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Thanks vaboywnder for the additional info.  I love Wikipedia and I think that is where I found the actual room number at the Mayflower where Eliot Spizter's demise began.

I sure hope they don't take away the CL, it is one of the best and Rudy, who is there in the evening is great fun to chat with.

PS - The website still lets you book a club level room at the Mayflower so the CL must still be there, right?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Good point, clebert.  I sure hope it is still there.

Also I noticed your comment about the AC hotel in Minneapolis; I'm planning to go to Twins vs Pirates game next week and was thinking about staying at that hotel; I may have to check it out.  Thanks.

insidenji, if you are sticking with a Marriott property in downtown Minneapolis, you can't do any better than the Hotel Minneapolis.  The only drawbacks are valet parking only if you have a car (don't rent one - take the light rail in from MSP), and the rooms are a bit small, but they are very nicely appointed.  CL is great as is the Max Restaurant on site.  The Minneapolis City Center is closer to Target Field, but it's loud and chaotic, and the rooms are typical Marriott flagship styling - ok but nothing special, although it has a very good CL.  But it attracts a kind of rowdy crowd that isn't the best behaved.  I can never get any sleep there, so it's not my favorite, although the location is great.  There is also a TownePlace Suites near Target Field, but I haven't stayed there.  Residence Inn by Macy's is ok but nothing special.  Courtyard near University of Minnesota is too far away for a Twins game.  There are 2 Marriotts at the Depot - another Residence Inn and a Renaissance.  The Renaissance at the Depot is my second favorite Marriott property in downtown Minneapolis.  It has a very nice CL.  Last time I was upgraded to the LaSalle Suite which was heavenly!  The Renaissance has a Victorian, historical décor and is kind of unique in a good way. Other options:  Marquette (a Hilton property) is nice.  Hyatt Regency is good.  Millennium is ok but a bit of a walk.  Westin is newer and very nice and also very close to Target Field.  Loews is close to Target Field, but I haven't stayed so can't comment on it.  Grand Hotel is nice but pricey - it has a wonderful pool and fitness center.  Avoid the Holiday Inn Express downtown unless you are on a tight budget.  I lived in Minneapolis awhile back and now work for a Minneapolis based company, so I am overnight there a lot.  Have fun!

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Wow thanks for all the info clebert.  I grew up in Minnesota, moved away in 1989 and back in 2012.  I went to Twins St. Louis game last month, day game (Twins won in bottom of ninth), I parked at Humphrey Terminal and took light rail downtown then back after game to stay at the Marriott near MSP and Mall of America.  I do think I'll try the Hotel Minneapolis next week.

Have fun, and let us know what you think of the hotel!

I liked the old classic styling in the rooms with the wall to wall marble counter top in the spacious bathroom and all of the mirrored walls (and the nightlight that shone from under the cabinets that could be turned on - very cool).  But I will say, if we have to move on (be dragged into the 21st century), the new decor is okay as far as that goes, I suppose.  It's not bad. 

I LOVE the CL.  Spacious and elegant.  I've never experienced overcrowding in it.  And I love the coffee table books.  Yes, I sure hope they don't change anything with that, or God forbid, eliminate it.  If they do, I'll likely not stay there again.  To wit, I was downstairs and needed something printed, and when I went to the business center on the mezzanine, they wanted ridiculous prices just to get on the computer and print something.  When I asked the front desk about it (in reference to my elite status), I was told that there is no elite benefit with the business center on the mezzanine level, and that I would have to use the business center (complimentary) in the CL on the 8th floor (not 24/7).

IMAG4418.jpg

IMAG4419.jpg

Love the lobby.

IMAG4416.jpg

Room foyer.

IMAG4415.jpg

Classic styling.

IMAG4417.jpg

Gotta love the "old fashioned" phone in the bathroom.

Wish I would've taken some snaps of the wonderful CL.

CL was up and running when I stayed there in May, but of course that was before it switched to an Autograph Collection.  The only other Autograph Collection I've stayed at is the Hotel Minneapolis (a lovely hotel and highly recommended), and the CL is alive and well at that property.  Having said that, the CL at the Mayflower was not redecorated in the purple/gray scheme back in May, so hopefully it will get a nice remodel and stay in place.

I decided to get some answers directly from the Mayflower Hotel regarding the Club Lounge.  I spoke with a representative this morning and she told me that nothing has changed with their Club Lounge since switching to an Autograph property. It is still open to all Gold & Platinum members 7 days a week.  On Friday & Saturday's its open for breakfast only.

I wonder if Plat/Gold members can use the CL if they are there using Destination Points (timeshare) vs booking a hotel room???

Interesting question.  My hunch is that the answer is yes.  Theoretically the answer should be no.  If I am staying at MVCI Canyon Villas in AZ, and I wander across the road to the JW Marriott hotel and ask to have breakfast in the Concierge Lounge, I assume I will be turned down.  Not the same property (even though I think I am allowed to use the pool) and since I am not staying there, no dice.

But here the complicating factor is that it is in the very same physical building.  I think it would just rub the very best Marriott customers (people who are both MVCI owners and Gold or Platinum MR) the wrong way, so I think they would be smart enough to allow access. 

curiousone Platinum

Specific to the JW Desert Ridge, they do not have a CL, they have the Griffin Club which is an uberCL, but you pay $95/day/person (the last time I checked). I did the Griffin Club once when my wife knew that we would not be leaving the property and could have breakfast, lunch, dinner, deserts and drinks over a 24 hour period.

curiousone, Did you feel that it was a good value then?

curiousone - sorry, I did not know that, and as a result, my example is not a good one.  But I would make the same point for any MVCI property that sits next to a full service Marriott.  I doubt that the MVCI guest would be allowed to have breakfast in the Concierge Lounge next door.  If that is correct, then the question is whether the Mayflower presents a special enough situation that might give a different result?

superchief1 Platinum

I actually think this will be a first for MVC to actually be part of a property with a CL. All of the others are on properties with resort that don't have a CL. The JW Desert Ridge previously provided other platinum benefits to those staying in Canyon Villas (including spa access), but this was eliminated a few years ago. If the Mayflower gives us CL access, I will definitely stay there.

I wonder if Plat/Gold members can use the CL if using Destination Points (timeshare) vs booking a hotel room???

Thanks, vaboywnder for checking into this.  It really is a nice lounge.

IMAG4522.jpg

IMAG4523.jpg

These are a couple of the interesting coffee table books that they keep there.  (Why did I take a photo of these books and not the lounge itself? )

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

It's a fine hotel and it's about a five minute walk to the White House.  It's about fifteen minutes from the Mall and most of the museums.  It's practically upstairs from the Metro!

Practically upstairs from the red line, but a couple of blocks from the blue/orange/silver line.  Did you stay recently since the switch?  And did you check out the CL?  If so, any changes?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Update on the CL at the Mayflower.  I stayed there last week, August 13 - 16 and the lounge was open Thursday evening for snacks (great food as usual) then Friday morning for breakfast and that was great as well.  Then it closed for remodeling, breakfast was down in the Edgar Saturday and Sunday and they had a buffet available or one could order from the menu.  The buffet was very good; omelets made to order, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, a potato dish with peppers and onions, oatmeal, cold cereals, pastries, muffins, bagels, toast, lots of fresh fruit, sliced meat, cheese cubes, and smoked salmon with chopped hard boiled eggs, red onions, capers, etc.

While the lounge on the 8th floor is being remodeled the new temporary location, starting last Monday August 17 is on the main floor in the Cabinet Room which is located at the opposite end of the Connecticut Ave entrance.  The remodeling is expected to take "about a month" and then it will be back on the 8th floor, so I would guess it will be mid to late September when it reopens  It will be interesting to see if they stick with the same design as the rooms with the autograph wall paper and the newer style furniture.  I hope they don't change the food choices too much; I think it is one of the best lounges as far as food goes.

Thanks for the update, insidenji.  I'm glad the CL will remain, though I will miss the classic styling.  I hope the fireplace stays.   Glad to read that you're still getting your DC fixes.  I'll be back in Nov. for a short trip, but not at the Mayflower this time.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hey there pluto77 you’re welcome.  Oh gosh yes the fireplace has to stay in the lounge and I too miss the old style of the rooms.  I did fill out a comment card, complimented the lounge and lounge staff and also said I didn’t like the fact the little in-room coffee makers were gone; I doubt if it will make a difference but you never know.

Yes I’m truly addicted to DC; I’ve made it there at least once a month so far this year.  Last week went to the Newseum, one of my favorites; they had a cool new exhibit about the Nationals since this is their 10 year anniversary being back in DC, also some other old photos and such about baseball in DC. A very interesting exhibit about the Press (TV, newsprint, etc.) in Vietnam and how a lot of people blamed the Press for losing the war in Vietnam.  That was the first war where we saw so much on TV and a lot of it didn’t exactly agree with what the President and military personnel in Vietnam were telling us. A photo exhibit on Presidential pets was very cute.  An exhibit about Lincoln's assassination since this year was the 150th anniversary.  I think I’ve been there 5 or 6 times since it opened and always something new to see in addition to the permanent exhibits.  Also made it out to the Basilica on this trip; it was absolutely beautiful.  My last trip to DC in July I went to the Masonic Temple near Old Town and it was so stinking hot that day I truly thought I was going to pass out walking up there.  The temple was very interesting.  Last week ate at Teddy and the Bully Bar very near the Mayflower.  It has a Teddy Roosevelt theme and a menu with lots of small plates; a friend of mine and I sampled the cornbread, crispy brussels sprouts, the lobster croquettes, the mac and cheese (YUM), and the chicken and biscuit………..OINK.  Oh and I also dropped a bit of cash at The Tiny Jewel Box another dangerously close favorite; only steps away from Mayflower.

I just booked another trip September 5 – 8 but staying at Gateway in Crystal City; I couldn’t pass up the rate.

Wow, the new Newseum exhibits sound great.  I think we'll have to check them out.  Your food descriptions sound yummy.  Have you tried dinner at Boss Shepherds?  I've dined there and enjoyed it.  Was wondering what others think of it.  I know what you mean about rates.  They are sky high the weekend I will be there for some reason, so we'll be staying out a little farther a field.  I like the Crystal City Marriotts just fine.

momkee Platinum

You will like the gateway.  Great staff and wonderful hotel

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thank you for taking the time to update the community on the status of this hotel insidenji!! I'm sure it is greatly appreciated by those that were in the thread originally and for those looking to possibly stay here in the near future. Any breakfast buffet with omelettes made to order is right up my alley!

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

You're welcome deannad.  I think it is helpful for us to share all the information about a property we can, especially the offerings in the lounges.

chocoli30 Gold 6 Reviews

We stayed at Mayflower Renaissance Washington DC for 1 night free on my Marriott points. We stayed in the 1 bedroom king congressional suite room 473.

We tried to check in early around 1 pm but the hotel was filled to capacity. The cherry blossoms events was going on this weekend so a lot of hotels were booked. They took my telephone number and called us when the room was ready around 2:30. We left our bags at the front and walked around. The hotel is in walking distance to so many restaurants. Check in was a breeze. I was greeted with a friendly smile and thanked for being a gold elite member which was very nice. It is a beautiful hotel with gorgeous chandeliers and decor in the lobby and very lively. A few weddings and events were going on. We valet parked our car for 47.50.

The room was top notch with living room area, wet bar, refrigerator built in the cabinet. separate bedroom with large bathroom. Two tvs sitting area and It was beautifully decorated. It was very quiet and realxing i didnt har any noice inthe bedroom area. The wifi was free and worked everywhere in the hotel. We had tickets for a comedy club DC Improv which is directly across the street from the hotel. Since we are gold elite members we got to use the concierge lounge which is on the 8th floor. On sat it closed at 4pm so we were unable to use it but on Sunday it was open all day until 10 pm. My husband ordered room service burger fries soup and desert. He said everything was delicious. Room service did not take long and his food came up piping hot which he really appreciated. You can order room service until 1am. I will definitely stay here again and again when Im in the DC area.

Message was edited by: Chocoli30