31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2015 4:35 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

80000 points sign-up

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Chase announced yesterday the 80k bonus sign-up for their credit card. Since I already have the personal MR Visa, I just took the plunge and signed up my business to get the 80k points and additional free night anniversary stay. From what I have been told by Chase that I my MR account is combined rewards and thus the bonus nights will accrue together. Seems like a good deal even though the annual fee is $99, to me it does seem the value remains far higher than the cost....any thoughts? Phil,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Phoenix, Arizona, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Phoenix
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
  • Re: 80000 points sign-up
    sunsoaker Platinum 3 Reviews

Was curious how long you have to remain valid with the card or what the requirements are for the 80K. I would assume you have some sort of qualification.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

Spend $3000 in 3 months.

702rugbyref Platinum

I am sure there are other requirements - same for applying for other CCs but the $3k in 3 months is similar to most other cards. The personal CC annual fee is waived the first year (I think) and the business signature annual fee is not. There was a disclaimer that you could not have applied in the previous 24 months or something like that as well.

Location Brand Hotel
      Las Vegas, Nevada, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
      lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Happy to look into confirmation around this, @sunsoaker!

joshm Member

sunsoaker,

lindseyh checked into this for you and here's what we've found:

The 80,000 point offer is a special solicited only offer, and only those solicited by Chase Bank can apply. In addition, it is a first time enrollment offer, so if a member already has a Chase credit card, he or she will not be eligible for an additional enrollment bonus. Also, while the card does say it's a Marriott Rewards card, all of these requirements and terms and conditions are created by Chase Bank.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail with a member of Chase, we'd be happy to provide that information.

Hope this helps!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

This card is a no brainer for anyone who stays at Marriott's on a regular basis.  The $85 annual fee is offset easily by the annual Category 5 certificate. Each calendar year you get 15 Elite night Credits towards your status and an additional one night credit for each $3,000 spent on the card.  This is the perfect time to sign up with the 80k bonus.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Can you please share the link for the offer with us?  Thanks.

702rugbyref Platinum

Check out the link I just copied below.

Marriott Rewards® Credit Card from Chase

Thanks for the link.  So in comparing all offers, it looks like these are the differences:

Marriott Rewards Premier Card offer 1:

• 50K bonus points after $1,000 spend in the first three months
        • $0 introductory annual fee, then $85 after 1st year on each anniversary, with cat. 1-5 cert.
        • introductory cat. 1-4 cert upon card approval
        • 15 credit towards elite membership level upon account approval and then every year after on account anniversary
        • 1 elite credit for every $3,000 spend

Marriott Rewards Premier Card offer 2:

• 80K bonus points after $3,000 spend in the first three months
        • introductory annual fee (not waived) and no introductory cat. 1-4 cert.  Annual fee of $85 on each anniversary, along with cat. 1-5 cert.
        • 15 credits towards elite membership level upon account approval and then every year after on account anniversary

Marriott Rewards Premier Business Card offer 1:

• 70K bonus points after $2,000 spend in first three months
        • $0 introductory annual fee, then $99 after 1st year on each anniversary, along with cat. 1-5 cert.
        • Introductory cat. 1-4 cert. on card approval
        • 15 credits towards elite membership level upon account approval and then every year after on account anniversary

Marriott Rewards Premier Business Card offer 2:

• 80K bonus points after $3,000 spend in first three months
        • introductory annual fee (not waived) and no introductory cat. 1-4 cert.  Annual fee of $99 after 1st year on each anniversary, along with cat. 1-5 cert.

So as we can see, there are plusses and minuses to the 80K offer.  You get extra bonus points at sign-up, but no initial annual fee waived, and no introductory cat. 1-4 cert.

My only complaint with my Marriott CC is the anniversary date.  Mine is in July.  I would prefer it be earlier in the year.  The only work around for this is to wait until the 1st quarter of next year, sign up for the business card, and then delete the premier card.  I like getting the 15 elite night credits earlier in the year.

Oops, sorry, corrections made.  Message was edited by: pluto77

702rugbyref Platinum

Outstanding analysis. I asked Chase and they said I would get both the 15 elite credit nights for both personal and business cards as I specifically asked about this. Wonder if I am duped?  My personal free night will arrive in early December and my business free night will arrive in July. I think a person needs to use it within 3 months(?) and with a trip planned to the UK in September for the Rugby World Cup, I will surely use the free night there where the pound is worth more than my US$.

Hi 702rugbyref,

I too spoke with Chase to confirm all of this info, and mentioned to them that I already had the Chase Marriott card, but wanted to change my anniversary date, and they confirmed to me that the only way to do it would be to apply for the business card early next year and then cancel the card that I already have.  Now to be clear, they did not confirm or deny that I would or would not get the sign up bonus points, as the focus was on changing the anniversary date, but I would hope that if there was ineligibility to receive the sign up bonus points (due to already having a Chase Marriott card), I would have been informed.

So it sounds to me like what you were told by a Chase rep is in direct conflict with what lindseyh as relayed by joshm was told by a Chase rep.  Additionally, when I read the fine print (on the 80,000K offer), this is what it says about the bonus points:

OFFER DETAILS:

80,000 BONUS POINTS: This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months. To qualify and receive your bonus, you must make Purchases totaling $3,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. ("Purchases" do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your Marriott Rewards account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. If your account is not open for at least 6 months, Marriott and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus points from your Marriott Rewards account.

So according to this, you must have not received a bonus within the last 24 months (interpreting this as saying that if you've had your current card for longer than 24 months, you're golden) and also, you will need to keep your new account open for at least 6 months, or they can take the bonus points back (hmmm, how would that work if you've already spent them or your account held less than 80K points? )

Also, just fyi, your free cat. 1-5 night cert is good for one year.

Please keep us posted as to whether 1) you get the sign-up bonus MR points and 2) if you are able to get 15 nights credit for each card, for a total of 30 nights credit/year.

702rugbyref Platinum

Maybe it is the attorney in me but the wording is 'specific' -

This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.

As I have not had this 'specific offer' or card...ever, it seems that I do have the qualification and I have been approved along with my confirmed conversation with the Chase representative (also recorded). It does not preclude a person from having both a personal and business and not receive the additional bonus...hence my clarification with Chase representative. In fact, they told me my credit limit approval as well after we went through the Patriot Act questions.

702rugbyref Platinum

Also, pluto77 funny you mention what happens if the points are spent and the card is cancelled...that would be INTERESTING for sure!

702rugbyref Platinum

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

Amazing how Chase is looking for business these days.

When I first applied for my Marriott Visa, I got a mere 15k points.

So you know how long we've been with Chase.

We just got blindsided with a lower credit limit by $7500.

Guess loyalty doesn't matter anywhere these days.

702rugbyref Platinum

pointjunkie 

My credit limits were all reduced back in '08 but they are back well above now

Jsucool76 Gold

Sorry to hear about your CLD. I'd call up and see what happened.

Jsucool76 Gold

70k offer is definitely better value than the 80k offer, as it includes a waived AF, and a cat 1-4 cert. Those 10k points probably aren't worth as much as a free night + 85$ seeing as how a cat4 is 20k points itself.

70k offer comes and goes, you can usually find a link with some creative googling.

702rugbyref Platinum

I never even looked at it that way...I should have! Thanks!

702rugbyref Platinum

I should have looked at it the way you described...oh well...off to spend I go! Jsucool76

Jsucool76 Gold

Eh, it happens. Still better than the 50k offer.

702rugbyref Platinum

I was waiting for the better offer to come along for sure...one extra night somewhere!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Wish we had offers in the UK like this the Marriott cc ofifer over here is poor in comparison

702rugbyref Platinum

I saw something on their website for Canada and UK but never checked on it.

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for all your info!

I have the personal premier card and want to get the business one now.  I was told by 2 chase.com reps that I can have both and get both bonuses because the business card is a business card and the personal is personal and never the twain shall meet except for the points meeting up in my one MR account. 

However, I would like the 70,000 bonus point offer with the free cat 1-4 certif upon credit approval and the annual fee waived for the first year.  I can't find a link that goes to chase with that specific offer.  It all becomes the 80,000 offer when I hit the buttons.

Anyone know how to circumvent that?  Even the chase.com reps only find the 80,000 offer.

I want to get it as soon as possible, as I have an extended stay at a  level 3 Marriott coming up and the free certif accompanied by the 70,000 points and the waived annual fee amount to a huge savings.

Thanks for any suggestions.

702rugbyref Platinum

I saw the link right from the Marriott website under credit cards - I think it was yesterday. My points are linked and credited.

What I would really like to know is, can you get 15 annual bonus nights from both cards for a total of 30 annual bonus nights?  I am points rich and nights poor towards lifetime status.  30 annual bonus nights for a couple of years would really help me to catch up my lifetime nights quicker.

702rugbyref Platinum

pluto77I have been told yes. I fellow blogger also stated this yesterday or day before. My additional nights have already been added to my account.See above.

So you have received 30 annual bonus nights from the combination of both credit cards this year?

702rugbyref Platinum

yes ..that is correct.

702rugbyref Platinum

As provided...pluto77

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...