4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2015 8:41 AM by boxhead RSS

Still Trying to Decide About our 50th Anniversary

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are trying to come up with a truly memorable trip, including some luxury, for next spring.

We are considering the West Coast (Half Moon Bay and SF) and Europe (perhaps Rome plus another city in Italy)

We enjoy walking around big cities and seeing the sights (though not too many museums).

We especially enjoy fine dining.  Any suggestions for activities in either of our considered destinations.

We are also looking for suggestions for a really nice hotel, preferably with an outstanding CL.

We are also open to other suggestions as to where we might go!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Half Moon Bay, California, USA
Rome, Rome, Italy
San Francisco-Oakland-Richmond/Berkeley, California, USA
  • Re: Still Trying to Decide About our 50th Anniversary
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Happy 50th, phctourist! That is very exciting. A memorable trip is definitely in order!

Both the West Coast and Europe sound like great ideas. San Francisco has a lot of great dining and site seeing, just be ready to be hiking up and down all those hills!

Another great West Coast city that fit your criteria is Portland (of course I'm biased, here). Portland is very biked and walk friendly, has great restaurants, a great waterfront Marriott, and lots of beautiful scenery.

On the flip side, I do like how accessible Europe is, with their high speed train. You could easily do some city-hopping, like Rome to Florence or Venice.

Those are just a few thoughts that I had. I'm interested to hear what others have to say!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

IMG_0413.JPG

Congratulations on your 50th! My wife and I celebrated our 50th a couple of years ago and the most memorable part of our trip, which included brief stay in Venice upon arrival from US there, was weekend at the Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa, in Barga, Italy, about 50 miles south of Florence, and one hour drive north of Lucca. (photo of Ciocco) - Here is property website: http://www.renaissancetuscany.com  (*If you go, please tell general manager, Georges Midleje, I said hello.

My wife and I are planning to return to Ciocco in November this year.

From here you can visit nearby village of Barga (about 15 minute drive), Lucca (home of famous composer, Puccini, and a fabulous walled Tuscan city), and for a day trip to Cinque Terre, and Portifino on the coast of Italy. Also, other nearby villages to visit are San Gimiano, Sienna, Cortona, Montepulchiano, etc.

Depending on your time, you could take train from Florence - or drive - to Rome and spend a couple of days there and fly out back to U.S.

If you need further information, let me know.

Fred

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

Happy 50th anniversary.  Allow me to give my ten cents worth of opinion.  There is not much to see in Half Moon Bay ( my daughter and son in law lived there for 3 years) unless you plan to stay at the Ritz Carlton, then see Carmel and drive thru Big Sur and/or visit Monterey and the aquarium.  In San Francisco you can have your fill of fine dining and walking.  The same goes with Rome.  If you have the time, visit Sicily.

boxhead Platinum

The Ritz in Half Moon Bay is one of our favorite Hotels. I highly recommend it!!!!! Not much to do in town but you wont want to leave the Ritz anyway. San Fran is just 30 minutes to the north & it's one of my favorite cities in the world. Great restaurants, Alcatraz, cable cars, wine country to the north. Very beautiful.

We went to Italy about 8 years ago. It was the best vacation ever. So much History & the food & wine was amazing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...