24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2016 4:10 PM by monisame RSS

Best Hotel In New York

nsrash Member
Currently Being Moderated

When staying in New York where is the best place to stay to avoid any kind of bugs?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Marriott Lexington NYC, Autograph Collection
Renaissance New York Midtown, Hotel
  • Re: Best Hotel In New York
    ndn Platinum

I assume that you mean bed bugs. I don't think there is any best place. I stayed at the Marriott Marquis and inspected myself and found no bugs in my room prior to settling into it. I would say that your best bet is to research all hotels and their responses to Trip Advisor postings. Responses may indicate the hotel's involvement with customers in a public setting. You can read reports of bed bugs as well and how they were handled, but these are not verified reports.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Hello nsrash and welcome to Insiders!

The post you've taken the time to share is what this place is all about. The seeking of insights from a community or travelers who know their stuff regarding all things Marriott and Rewards. From recommendations to photography, and programmatic inquiries, This place is a great resource for folks to gain clarity around a number of topics and share experiences with one another.

As you explore the page, don;t hesitate to check out our Getting Started Guide. It contains lots of tips and insights as to optimizing your experience within the forum. Additionally, lindseyh and I (joshm) are here to help answer any questions you've got. Shoot em' our way and we're happy to help! We are part of the moderation team for the site.

Concerning your post, like ndn has done, other members of the community are sure to see this and chime in with their perspectives.

Again, welcome to the forum, and we look forward to seeing more of you around here!

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm a huge fan of the Essex House. A wee bit pricey, but nice.

roadwarrior060 Gold

I've stayed in several Marriott properties in NYC over the past year and have never had a problem.  This includes Courtyard Times Square, Courtyard Chelsea and Fairfield Inn Chelsea. 

pilam76 Platinum

What can you tell me about the Marriotts in NYC?   I am going there later this year and would like some more information.

cyrill Platinum

Stayed at Marquis, Lexington and Essex House. Never had an issue. Marquis was worst in terms of customer attention and service.

pilam76 Platinum

cyrill at the marquis, was the customer attention and service bad because of the size? Did you feel "processed" like a number and not a guest?

cyrill Platinum

That's exactly the reason. I will try Edition this weekend and will report:-)

Platinum

Had good luck with Carlton, New York Marriott Eastside, and New York Marriott Downtown. Based on quite a few negative reviews, I'd be cautious about any of the Times Square locations.

pilam76 Platinum

can you tell me more about the Carlton dansplan?

dp86 Platinum

It is gotta be Marriott Edition!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The East Side is in a great location near Grand Central Station with a number of excellent places to eat within a few blocks and has some of the larger rooms you'll find in the city.  If you want to venture into the Times Square area it is about a 15 minute walk.  Rockefeller Center and Madison Avenue are close as well with Central Park about a 10 minute walk. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

This question is simply too broad (no "Broadway" pun intended(.

You have within the city limits of New York City this island - on this island are zillions of people and zillions of neighborhoods.

To answer this inquiry "what is the best...."  I would need to know:

1. Why are you visiting NYC

2. What do you plan to do when there (if on business where are your meeting, if pleasure what activities and sites are you hoping to visit.)

3. What is your budget for hotels

4. Are you more comfortable in a busy touristy area or would you prefer to stay in an area where merchants and restaurants are serving locals rather than tourists.

To facilitate advising someone which hotel to stay at one would need  answers to some or all of the above points.

pilam76 Platinum

I go to NYC 2x a year for a week at a time to see the mets play. Past 3 years I have stayed at Marriott East Side so I dont wanna stay anywhere near there again. Looking for a marriott near or in times square. Preferably wanna stay between 35th & 50th street near times square, bryant park or central park. I am very comfortable with high traffic/touristy areas. One thing I dislike about east side/lexington ave is at night it dies out. Love how Times Sq is buzzing at 1am. I am using points so money isnt an issue. These are strictly pleasure trips. Mainly, I am looking for a different area to stay in.

I have it narrowed down to: Marriott Marquis, Renaissance Times Sq, Residence Inn Times Sq, Courtyard Manhattan or Courtyard Herald Sq.

THANKS!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

pilam76

Your choice of hotels is easy - ESSEX HOUSE

Combines the "action" of mid-town and a wee bit less crowded than TSq - not to mention being on Central Park

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

pilam76...I actually prefer the East Side/Lexington area and stay at the Courtyard Marriott on 53rd Street all the time as it is one block from my NYC office and I always seem to get upgraded to a high floor corner executive room every other stay.  The FS Marriott on Lexington is also nice but I really prefer the Courtyard.  The views of the city are wonderful from those rooms and there are a ton of great restaurants and bars close to the hotel that are busy all all night long.  Times Square is a short 15 minute stroll to get to or take the 6 train from 51st and Lex downtown to Grand Central and then the shuttle to Times Square.  I always find it quicker to walk and explore the area getting there.

travelmd Gold

I did a mattress run in Manhattan a couple years back. Like the Carlton (best device), Algonquin (best history) and Carlton (nice rooms) best. But I agree for what you are looking for Times Sq or Essex House may be best.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Reading through these replies makes me laugh, but not for the reasons you may think.

Having grown up in New York City in the 70's, my mother told me to stay clear away from the places that are mentioned in these responses. Bryant Park? That was known as "needle park" when I was growing up. Chelsea? My Lord, anyone hear of "Hell's Kitchen"? Harlem? Stay clear away from that place.I won't even mention Times Square!

I'm glad these neighborhoods turned around and are now hip. To think otherwise is a scary proposition.

j&c Platinum

Love the Lexington! Great staff, wonderful tourist lobby-buzz, nice bar, Starbucks and (new) breakfast, quick walk to subway(s) and Times Sq., small but luxurious rooms, clean/well maintained. Can't imagine staying any place else. C

Location Brand Hotel
    Marriott Lexington NYC, Autograph Collection
      pilam76 Platinum

Odd not that I believe anything everyone says and it is a small sample size but a lot of people seem to pan the Lexington customer service and their ability to credit points to your account after your stay.

monisame Platinum

MY votes goes to the Algonquin and Carlton.If you want more space try Residence in Central Park. Pretty new with outstanding views and services.

monisame Platinum

Anyone at the new Renaissance Midtown. I have a reservation there!!!. I have read some comments and  it seems that the rooms are not so comfortable.

Location Brand Hotel
    Renaissance New York Midtown, Hotel
      Jsucool76 Gold

I have it booked for march october but I might end up staying in the essex house again.

From what I read on FT the brekkie in the lounge is meh, plus it's got those cool glass bathroom walls.

monisame Platinum

Thanks I love Essex House, but I got a good price 200 per night. !!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...