17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2015 3:39 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Brand explorer badges

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It's been almost a years since the Marriott brand badges first showed up and through my regular travels, I've collected quite a few.

badges3.png

At the end of June, I stayed at a FFI, a JW, and an Autograph property which according to my records are the 7th, 8th, and 9th brands I've visited since the badges were implemented in August 2014. Imagine my surprise when I logged into my account to find I had been awarded the 10-brand badge along with its corresponding 75 points. (The points alone made me jump for joy. Not! ).

painedplatinum and I were debating whether Marriott Conference Centers count as a separate brand since a stay there does not count towards earning the Marriott brand badge (see Re: Marriott now lists 18 Brands. How many have you visited? response 79). Perhaps it does count as a separate brand, at least as far as the 10-brand badge goes.

Since the badges started, my stays have included these brands (in order of first brand stay): Renaissance, CY, TPS, SHS, Marriott, Marriott Conference Center, RI, FFI, JW, and Autograph. The only way to reach 10 brands based on my stays since August 2014 is to count the Marriott Conference Center as a separate brand.

I expected to reach the 10th brand with my stay at the Gaylord Texan in mid-October (my last Gaylord stay was long before Marriott acquired the chain). Even so, when the brand badges began, I didn't imagine I'd reach 10 brands within a year.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else picked the 10-brand badge yet?

I imagine a number of people have gotten the 5-brand badge.

The big question remaining is how many brands will it take to get the last brand explorer badge? If I ever get there, I'll let you know.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Brand explorer badges
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Nice job bejacob !  If the Conf. Centers counts, then I'm at 9 brands. I did stay at an AC in Spain, but that was on points, so it won't count as my 10th.  Badges awarded for 2 stays are JW, Marriott, Courtyard, SHS, FFI, Res Inn, TPS. I'll grab the 8th Brand badge, Renaissance, later this month in Norfolk.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

IF only paid stayes count for badges then I'm only on 4, Marriott, JW, Autograph and Renaissance. Reading bejacob post I thought I might get my CY and 5th brand badge on my roadtrip-honeymoon, but as my last CY stay was on points and my one-night CY during this roadtrip (Albany CY) will also be on points, it'll be a no badges trip.

Difficult to get too upset at the loss

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OOops, I've just checked my badges, found by clicking on account activity and then the badges button. Since it only counts from the point of registration for the badges my stays at Autographs over the last 2 years haven't counted, so I don't actually have the badge, same with JW. I'm assuming it also means my many years-past (and only) CY stay (which was a redemption anyway) won't be getting me anywhere either.

So my count is 2 brand badges, Marriott and Renaissance! That's it, and it's unlikely to change this year!

I'll get the FI brand badge later this year. I have one stay at each JW and Autograph, with a Gaylord also on the calendar, so I'll be halfway to those brand badges. Tentatively looking at a VC stay as well. As for the rest, it is dependent on where I go, what's available, and what kind of deals I can find.

It's not worth going out of my way to collect these badges. When my travels allow, I pick up what comes my way.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

Hey good guy, love your work, but where do you even see these badges?  I can't find them!

Hey jerrycoin,

This graphic should help

activity.PNG

Log into your MR account and select activity, then choose badges (represented by the red arrows I added to this screen capture). Remember that badges only show up based on activity from the time you opt in. Terms and conditions are listed near the bottom of this page (not shown in my screenshot).

bejacob,

Thank-you!  Did not even know this existed.  Have just one!

bejacob,

Thank-you!  Did not even know this existed.  Have just one!

Don't go chasing badges, jerrycoin. The payoff is not worth it. Travel as you always do and if that yields a badge or two along the way, your extra 25 of 50 rewards points are well earned.

bejacob,

Yes, you are so right!

Happy travels.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Don't go chasing badges.  Please stick to the Marriott properties you're used to.  I know that you're gonna have it your way or nothin' at all, but I think you're moving too fast....

Sorry, I am a child of the '90s I guess

gopadres Platinum

This is probably the best post I've seen in a while. 

ndn Platinum

Ritz Carlton Rewards members (such as me) don't have any such badge buttons.

I have RC, JW, R, M, FI and VC along with the Platinum badge and the 5-brand explorer.  Spouse has started demanding that we only stay at full-service properties, so the SHS, FI and CY are only options if nothing else is available or I'm traveling solo.  My work travels usually take me to full-service properties, so not looking too good for SHS, T, RI, and CY. 

joshm Member

Good stuff right here, bejacob,

And lots of great responses too!

702rugbyref Platinum

I currently have 8. Staying at AC in Spain in October and RC as well.