8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2015 12:24 PM by californian RSS

Comparison of Hilton vs. Marriott Properties

flynhokie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all,

After a recent 4 week stay where most of my coworkers stayed at a Hilton Homewood Suites and I chose to stay at a Marriott Towneplace Suites, I was pretty shocked at the quality of the Homewood vs. Towneplace.  Both hotels were relatively the same age (<5years old).  The Homewoods rooms were far roomier than the comparable ones in Towneplace.  Homewood offered much nicer breakfasts (Eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc vs. cheap sausage patties/eggs, and prepackaged everything else), had very nice 'dinners' M-Th (with beer/wine) vs. a nice meal on Thursday for Towneplace, and seemed to go out of the way to assist their guests.  All for the same price in rooms.

That got me thinking of whether the two hotels were of the same 'caliber' when compared to each other in the two branded chains.  I have searched for a comparison of Hilton vs. Marriot hotels, but was unable to find a decent one.  Does anyone know of one, before I begin to work on building my own comparison table.

I was hoping for a table which compares the two brands hotels by cost / level (i.e. top tier vs. basic, extended stay, vacation, etc.), the # points to redeem one night in each hotel, and the amenities (free wifi, Dinner social (and quality), Breakfast (assuming 3 levels - basic, intermediate, and full blown like an embassy suites), Concierge lounge, and any other amenities).

If you know of a comparison table that lists this and more, please let me know, and save me the work ;-)

Trying to determine if it's worth staying Marriott Platinum, or switching over to Hilton like my coworkers have, due to the apparently nicer amenities at the Hilton hotels.

Thanks,

FlynHokie

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Comparison of Hilton vs. Marriott Properties
    taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I don't have the type of comparison your looking for but I will say, I am not sure the Town Place Suites was the best comparison to the Homewood Suites. I would think the Marriott Residence Inn's are a much better comparison to the Homewood chain of hotels and in my experience, the Residence Inn's win hands down. I agree, the Homewood Suites are very nice and I do occasionally stay there when I can't get the rate I need at a Marriott but I still like Marriott so will stick with them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

Without a doubt, RI is the correct comparison for Homewood Suites. Over all I think you will find them very comparable. You might want to evaluate your place in the organization if they shuttled you off to a Towneplace.

Jsucool76 Gold

Based on just the way the hotels are laid out in each brand, homewood suites would fall into the comparison with TPS, as residence inn is closer (but in my opinion still no match for a good one) embassy suites.

Granted, Embassy Suites doesn't have a real kitchen, as it's not really a long term stay hotel, like a TPS or RI is...but breakfast + evening reception there definitely win. haha.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Points might also matter.  Residence Inn stays do not earn as many points per dollar spent as most Marriotts.  However, I believe Marriott points are more valuable when you use them.  Hilton stays on points are very high.

Of course the dearth of bonus points offerings by Marriott is also a negative impact.

fpmurphy Platinum

RI is probably the correct comparison.   However, the same daily "plastic" breakfast at RI (and FI)  together with the typically poor business facilities, drive me me back to Hilton properties time and time again.  Surely RI and FI properties could vary their breakfasts on a daily basis like Hilton properties do.  Surely RI and Fi properties could dedicate a room for a properly equipped functioning business center.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I agree that RI is a better comparison with Homewood Suites.

My experience with FI and Hampton Inn has usually shown the Marriott property as a better value.  FS Marriotts also seem to usually outshine Hiltons.  The only comparison where I would put Hilton ahead would be my preference foe Hilton Garden Inn over Courtyard.

I also give Marriott the edge on point value.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I was just in Italy and stayed 6 nights in 2 Marriotts and 6 nights in 2 Hiltons.  The Hiltons outshined the Marriotts and I am platinum with Marriott and gold with Hilton but I would have thought it was the reverse.  Both Hiltons had executive lounges that were open over 12 hours a day.  I was able to eat breakfast in the restaurant or lounge.  I was upgraded in both one to a water view.  I stayed in the Hiltons because there were no Marriotts but would stay be choice if I returned.  One of the Marriotts had a lounge but it was closed because it was Friday and the other didn't have a lounge.  The HIltons had better quality breakfasts.  The Hiltons put 2 bottles of water in my room each day and I could get more in EL.  The Marriotts didn't.  I called down to the desk in one and was told that if I wanted water, I would find some in the mini bar for 2,50 euros for a 1/2 liter bottle.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...