35 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2015 9:55 AM by KatieC RSS

Honeymoon in Hawaii!! Where to stay?!

mulva61 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We plan on visiting the first week in October for our Honeymoon, staying for a week. We were looking at staying at the Wailea Beach Marriott but after reading a good deal of negative reviews I'm rethinking our first choice. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Wailea - Maui, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii!! Where to stay?!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Aloha mulva61!

What is your hotel criteria?  Marriott also has the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua, the Beach Club in Ka'anapali, and the Courtyard in Kahului, though I don't you'll want to stay next to a Costco for your Honeymoon  

If you're willing to look outside of the Marriott family, the Andaz Maui in Wailea is a fantastic property!  The Four Seasons Maui in Wailea is also great.  The Grand Wailea is another excellent option.  For something really secluded, you could also checkout the Travaasa Hana, but as it's name suggests, it's all the way in Hana meaning a 2+ hour drive or a short flight on a tiny airplane.  The Travaasa is winner of Oyster.com's most romantic hotel in the state, but bear in mind that there are no TVs or clocks in the rooms, nor is there a/c. 

My recommendation?  The Andaz Maui in Wailea, the Ritz Carlton Kapalua, the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali, or any Starwood property in Kaanapali. 

Hope this helps!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mulva61 Platinum

Thanks for the suggestions! We are cashing in some points for the honeymoon so we would need to stay within the Marriott family. Things that are important to us are beach access, outdoor activities, and good restaurants. Nothing super busy and over crowded with kids!! Thanks again!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The Ritz is beautiful however; not right on the beach as you'd find in Kaanapali.  But then the Marriott on Kaanapali is right on the beach just difficult to get a room on points.  In fact for this October I just looked at both the Lahaina Resort | Marriott Maui Ocean Club – Lahaina & Napili Towers and Maui Beach Resort | Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club – Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers neither of them have any rooms available for using points.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It's difficult to get rooms period (Lahaina and Napili Towers).  There is no availability on the reservation website for anything past Dec. 16th.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Makes me glad I booked my points stay at the Maui Ocean Club 8 months early.

Though the options may be limited, in my mind, any stay in Hawaii on points is worth it. Getting a nice room is all well and good, but I don't plan to spend a whole lot of time there except to recharge for the next activity. While it would be nice to have a beach view, I plan to spend time on the beach, not looking at it from my room. Between snorkeling, hiking, surfing?, swimming, exploring, I'll probably get back to my room after dinner and be ready to crash.

mulva61, once the dates are set, I'd pick whatever options are available and go with it. My last visit to Hawaii included some truly "bargain basement" hotels and it didn't make the trip one bit less enjoyable. Anything in the Marriott family should be fine.

bejacob what buildings did you book your Maui stay in?  Make sure you get what you booked as that was one of a couple of issues we had at our last attempted stay there.

Lahaina & Napili Towers, Oceanfront Balcony. Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure I get what I booked.

bejacob, my point was that no rooms of any kind can be booked for cash or points at this property beyond 6 months from now, not because the property is booked, but because the available rooms have not opened up yet, 8 months or not.  Had you tried today to book 8 months out at this property, you would be unable. 

Gotcha. I do recall a post sometime back discussing when rooms are opened up to non-VC owners. I may have just hit the sweet spot.

Yes my friend you hit a sweet spot, if you don't pay very very close attention you'll end up with a parking lot view as we did before we told them to pack sand and headed to the Ritz.  It was such a shame as the year previously we'd been in a huge Oceanfront Villa in the Lahaina/Napili Towers which brought us back for a third time.

Ah I see mulva61, had a feeling.  In that case, the Marriott Beach Club in Kaanapali is almost certainly out of the question as IAHFLYR has mentioned.  Even paid rates there are difficult to get and often exceed the cost of staying at the Ritz.  Per shoeman1000's recommendation, I would stick with the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua.  Indeed, there are many great places to eat nearby and the short walk to the beach is a small compromise compared to the poor quality/condition of the Wailea Beach Marriott. 

If you plan on doing activities like sunrise at Outdoors Maui - Haleakala National Park, it is a very far drive.

And just to play Devil's Advocate, Hyatt offers 2 nights free at ANY property worldwide with their card with Chase after $1,000 spend in 3 months.  Likewise, the Citi HHonors Reserve offers 2 free weekend nights at ANY property worldwide too after $2,500 spend in 4 months.  So you could stay at the Andaz, Hyatt Regency or Grand Wailea for free for 2 nights  

kharada46, I appreciate this input, as I have now extensively researched all of the Hawaii Marriott properties (milestone wedding anniversary coming up next Spring) and I have to honestly say (though not wont to say it), very few of them look enticing or interesting to me (according to my personal specs) and all are either very expensive or else overpriced for what they appear to offer (and also taking into account reviews), compared to other ocean front world resort destinations, such as South Pacific, Thailand, Tenerife, Caribbean, Mexico, etc. 

Because of the expense, these properties would otherwise be perfect candidates for using points, however (and again, per my personal requirements) for me it has to be a full ocean front view or bust, so with points being a **** shoot as far as full ocean view upgrades go, I am solidly resistant to using points on ocean view destination properties for that reason.  And so with using cash then, the expectation absolutely must match the expense.  Most of the properties quite honestly, look old and tired.  The one that seems to offer the freshest, nicest, most luxurious rooms and resort spaces, along with a variety of quality recreational offerings is the RC on Maui (phenomenal, in fact, but a phenomenal price to match).  The Ko Olina on Oahu also looks nice (villas with kitchen), although Oahu isn't really my first choice for a milestone anniversary destination (too crowded).  The Mauna Kea looks nice, but pricey for what you get, compared to the RC, Ko Olina or Kaanapali (which looks okay, though situated along a row of resort properties (crowded?), but try to get in there).

I really don't understand the added expense of these places, compared to places like the JW and RC in Cancun (I guess I would have to go there to see for myself).  I know that each Hawaiian island has unique offerings in terms of climate and geography.  I figure that if we do the RC on Maui, we could easily spend 12K in a week, not including ground and air.  Wow!  (I'd especially hope to never get Alzheimer's at those prices for happy memories!) The up side is that (if my math is correct at 20 points/dollar), one would earn enough points on that spend to - do it again!!

pluto77, I'm in total agreement and hadn't realized this until I really took a look at all of Marriott's Hawaii properties.  This, to me, makes the loss of the JW Marriott Ihilani in Ko Olina even more of a tough pill to swallow.  Yes improvements are on the way to the Waikiki Beach Marriott, but it isn't really on the beach and if you're looking for peace & quiet, that isn't the place as you've mentioned.  And it looks like the unfortunate truth is that Marriott will only have new Courtyards opening in Hawaii; no new full service properties (aside from the Ritz-Carlton Residence Waikiki). 

This is actually a trend I've scene globally in places I aspire to travel and was one of the reasons for my recent decision to diversify my loyalty holdings and move my business to Hyatt.  Hyatt will now be my primary with Marriott as the backup.  The elite benefits with Marriott are better in regards to lounge access as a mid-tier Gold, but whereas mid-tier Platinums with Hyatt don't.  But at the same time, it takes 50 nights to get Hyatt's top-tier Diamond, which is what it takes to get Gold with Marriott.  I've also noticed that for equivalent service type properties, it appears that Hyatt is a better value in many destinations like Las Vegas and New York. 

If you're willing to put int some legwork and manufacture some spend, you could have a super luxe anniversary vacation on Maui and/or the Big Island with Hyatt, Hilton and Fairmont.  Both offer 2 free nights at any property after meeting minimum spend requirements on their cards from Chase Fairmont Visa Signature Card | Chase.  If you decide to go Hyatt, the Andaz has decide to play stink and basically never offer their My Hyatt Rate (base rate) rooms for sale making it impossible to book reward rooms.  Hyatt corporate is aware of the situation and is extremely displeased with it, though I hear not all call center reps are willing to try to push your reward through.  Once I get my certificate deposited I will attempt a booking and will let you know how that goes! 

Speaking of airfare, I noticed fares out of LAX are outrageous on all airlines!  Cheaper out of CA on HA would be to fly out of San Jose.  And if you can get a super cheap flight to PDX, HA RT fares can be had for as little as $400/person economy (upgrade to premium econ at $70/segment)

I'll look forward to reading your HI findings with Hyatt, K.  I'll also look into your other brand recommends for Maui and Big Eye, since as I mentioned previously, I am extremely hesitant to use points on an ocean front resort because of the seemingly randomness of ocean front complimentary upgrades.

Speaking of points, in my Maui RC gush, I made a reference to how much a total spend might be, but the total amount that I speculated would include a wad spent on recreational activities, which I may be wrongly assuming that these activities would incur Marriott Rewards points, though perhaps they don't.  Something to make an inquiry with the property about in advance.

Regarding airfares, or on AS out of SJC, with a free companion ticket, complimentary of the AS credit card (and with status, we can get the bulkhead row in economy, which provides the same amount of legroom as first!)

Will do pluto77!  Got my fingers crossed!  If it doesn't work, idk what I'm going to do.  I'd love to try the Park Hyatt New York at One57.  Avg Nightly rate there is $600+, but WOW!  But RT airfare to NYC is about $837 at its cheapest and the Maui trip was planned for Jan/Feb 2016, so the fall back to NYC would need to be around the same time I think... not a fun time of year to go there methinks! 

Ah yes, almost forgot you're an AS girl.  Been thinking about getting that card too... But I have to many cards lol. 

Oh and if you want to pay cash for your stays, the Citi Prestige card would be a great one to get.  $450 annual fee, but comes with $250 annual airline reimb. (including tickets) and 4th night free when you book your hotel through their booking service.  Service includes most name brand hotels.  So it's like getting 25% off, but it comes as a statement credits so you'd still earn 4 EQNs and all the points you should've

pluto77, certs posted to my Gold Passport account!  One phone rep & Twitter team said they're unable to help... let the shenanigans begin!  I wonder if I can get a response from Gold Passport's SVP on Twitter??

pluto77,

The JW Cancun is an awesome resort for sure.  We've been there three times and each time had not one complaint other than having to leave.

Now I just saw that in the fall of 2015 a JW will be opening in Los Cabo!!

Yes, the JW in Cancun looks like a much more attractive offering than its neighbor, the Ritz (the Cancun Ritz looks too stuffy and geezer-ish - at least to me - for a beach resort, unlike the Maui Ritz ).

I saw about the JW going in at Cabo a while back.  No photos yet, but looks like it'll be right on the beach.  Cabo is an easy flight for us (on AS, of course ), and the husband loves it there.  It's one of only 4 places in the world where lay people like us can team up and race America's Cup yachts.  SO fun!

K, 'nuff hijacking.

joshm Member

Our resident Hawaii expert at work here. Good stuff!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

mulva61

with all due respect to prior posters, I would highly recommend the Ritz  Carleton Kapalua, period.   I have been there and experienced one of the top 5 stays anywhere in my life.  The location is killer.  while it is not 5 feet from the beach, it is a very short walk to get there.  My guess is perhaps 3-4 minutes.  The group of restaurants in the Kapalua resort area are all fantastic, both romantic and varied in food -type.  The pool area is killer as well.  The Marriott in either location on Maui will be crowded and commecial.  Please, please, please pick the Ritz and post the wonderful time you will be sure to have had.

shoeman

mulva61 Platinum

We would have loved to stay at the Ritz but unfortunately there is zero avalibility for our dates!!

That's a bummer mulva61.  How set are you on Maui?  The Mauna Kea Beach Resort on the Big Island is a fantastic property as well!  The Big Island, while not as developed as Maui, has a ton of stuff to do if you're into outdoor activities like hiking, ziplines and even dolphin encounters.  I love Maui, but I love the Big Island equally for different reasons. 

Oh my, just noticed that Mauna Kea hosts an annual jazz and blues festival each summer.  How much fun would that be!

Wherever you stay mulva61, I really hope you get a nice ocean view upgrade.  Make sure you drop a hint to the property in advance that it is your honeymoon.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Let me know if you have any questions around specific properties, mulva61! I haven't visited many of these, but I can always have our team look into details for you. However, we do have kharada46, who is our Hawaii expert! Thanks for all you helpful responses!

This property really does look quite amazing, just what an ocean resort should be and looks to justify the expense.  We're not golfers, however the ocean activities (snorkeling, scuba, boating and the Cousteau ambassadors for the environment program) as well as the multiple dining options (ambience) look outstanding.

Don't get me wrong shoeman1000 we loved the Ritz and the area.  It didn't matter that we had a short hike down to the beach at all, in fact it helped us explore deep into the residence community and found a few great dining spots.  I was simply attempting to alert them to the fact of not being right on the beach.  You are spot on for sure, Ritz is the spot.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i have stayed there many times and will again next t may. Like the walled beach across the street and closeness to everything

mulva61 Platinum

Thanks everyone for the awesome input, it's been very helpful! Definitely have some more research to do, the Mauna Kea does look like a beautiful property. I'll be sure to update with our final decision!!!

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

We loved the Wailea Marriott resort on Maui.  I used points for a week and was upgraded to an ocean front room without having to use extra points.  It was so close to the ocean, we could hear the waves and the sunsets from our balcony were amazing.The adults only infinity pool was heaven.  NO screaming kids and they did enforce it not like other resorts I have stayed at.  The beach wasn't right in front of the resort but it wasn't far.  Also, the luau at this  resort was fabulous.

We loved the Wailea Marriott resort on Maui.  I used points for a week and was upgraded to an ocean front room without having to use extra points.  It was so close to the ocean, we could hear the waves and the sunsets from our balcony were amazing.The adults only infinity pool was heaven.  NO screaming kids and they did enforce it not like other resorts I have stayed at.  The beach wasn't right in front of the resort but it wasn't far.  Also, the luau at this  resort was fabulous.

We stayed at the Wailea Marriott resort using points and had a wonderful time.  They did upgrade us to an oceanfront room and it was so close to the ocean, we could hear the waves at night.  Any time I can stay in Maui for 7 days for free,  is a good time for me.  The adults only infinity pool was heaven because no screaming kids.  We loved our whole experience there, except the beach was not right out front of the property but it wasn't very far.  We loved the location because some of the other areas on the island were really crowded and the traffic was bad.  Also, the cruise ships stopped there and brought a lot of people into the town. 

We stayed at the Wailea Marriott resort using points and had a wonderful time.  They did upgrade us to an oceanfront room and it was so close to the ocean, we could hear the waves at night.  Any time I can stay in Maui for 7 days for free,  is a good time for me.  The adults only infinity pool was heaven because no screaming kids.  We loved our whole experience there, except the beach was not right out front of the property but it wasn't very far.  We loved the location because some of the other areas on the island were really crowded and the traffic was bad.  Also, the cruise ships stopped there and brought a lot of people into the town. 

KatieC Member

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials, mulva61! Can't wait to hear which hotel you choose and more about your honeymoon plans!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...