7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2015 3:02 PM by bpelican RSS

What Has Happened to Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes?

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am a Chairman's Club Member of the Marriott Vacation Club, supposedly the highest level of MVC membership, with 13,500 points/year and $7K in yearly Maintenance Fees.  I come with my extended family to Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes several times a year including my current stay during Fourth of July week.  We've spent many happy occasions at this Vacation Club Resort.  However, during this stay, something has gone sideways at this Property.

Problem #1, upon check-in my entire family, Grandkids included, were bombarded with Sales types trying to get us to go to a sales presentation.  Prior to arrival, we told MVC salespeople who had called us that we were not interested in anymore sales presentations since from the time we bought into the Chairman's Club our benefits have gone down.  Specifically, when we now try to book our Fourth of July week 13 months in advance there is no availability at this property or at any of the Hilton Head properties.  Prior to our latest purchase we had absolutely no problem booking this week!  These folks were so over the top that the Grandkids and me will go nowhere near the lobby anymore.

Problem #2, we arrived around 2:30 PM and our Villa was not ready.  Not a big issue normally.  But we did not get into our Villa until after 5:00 PM.  First time that had occurred here.  I guess once Sales found out I refused to attend another bogus sales presentation they put us on the bottom of the list.

Problem #3, the water in every hot-tub on site was not hot and no Associate here could or would tell us what was wrong.  We checked in on Sunday and the problem has lasted through Monday at least.

Problem #4, which may explain the hot-tub problem.  We got a note under our Villa Door sometime in the evening that our water will be out from 8:30AM to 10:30AM because of some kind of emergency.  Are you kidding me?  Why aren't you working on it now?  When we called the Front Desk, they said didn't know anything about it and if it would be shut off again.

At that point, I should have packed my bags and left.  But obviously I didn't and don't intend to disappoint especially the Grandkids.  But what has happened to our beautiful Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
  • Re: What Has Happened to Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes?
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

How unfortunate that you and your family had to put up with this nonsense.  I can't believe that this resort doesn't keep files/computer notes about current owners/repeat customers and their requests.  Someone there is not doing their job.  I hope the trip takes a serious up-turn and that you all can sit back and enjoy the beautiful environment that you have paid for!  Hopefully the weather will be nice...  -Sledchick

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

bpelican,

Sorry to hear about your issues.  It's especially disappointing when one of your favorite properties let you down. MVC sales has gotten out of control.  I avoid them at all costs.

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

They always pushed hard once they got to talk to you.  But since the changes from directly joined to marriott hotels to a separate entity they have gotten way more aggressive in pushing to sell and trying to force people to talk to them. In my experience you cant walk into the lobby of a vacation club without being chased and hounded by sales people it has gotten way out of control

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Years ago, I stayed there and it was nice.  I guess that one can't count on returning and having the same experience.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sorry to hear of this, @bpelican. That all sounds really frustrating. I would like to pass this on to our team and, if you'd like, get you in contact with someone to discuss this. Just send me your Rewards number and contact information and I can have someone reach out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...