11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2015 10:56 AM by ndn RSS

I have few queries about points redemption

suryagadde Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Everybody,

I had a stay for about 85 days in A Marriott group hotel and I was given Gold Membership with 43K+ reqard points. My queries are,

1) May I redeem those points in any Marriott hotel?

2) Do I need to pay any cash in addition with reward points?

3) Am I lost the Gold membership after spending my reward points?

4) How many points/night required to get platinum membership?

Thanks in Advance

Surya

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: I have few queries about points redemption
    joshm Member

Hello suryagadde, and welcome to the Insiders forum!

You've posed some great questions here and we're happy to help get them answered for you. This is the perfect place to inquire like you have here. The Insiders network is full of useful information, as well as structured by a community of road warriors who are quite knowledgeable in all things Rewards and more!

As you explore the forum, feel free to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to optimize your experience with the site. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), or lindseyh with any questions or concerns about Rewards or the site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we're here to help!

Regarding your post, I'm going to seek more information on your questions, and will follow up with more details.

Thanks for posting, and welcome!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hello suryagadde and welcome to Insiders. 

1)  You can redeem your points at any Marriott property that has Reward Stays available for the dates you wish to use them.  As with airline reward usage their are a limited number of rooms and the amount of points will vary depending on the category of the hotel.

2)  Normally no you don't have to pay cash when using points other than what you accrue with incidentals during your stay, and yes they will want a credit card for that when you check-in.  There are some cash/point offers out there and can be found on the page that displays what room types and rates are available if you have selected the Rewards box located right below the dates of travel.  There might also be a cash upgrade fee if you desire to select and upgraded room when making your reservation, but otherwise no money is required to simply use points.

At most resorts you may have a "Resort Fee" that applies and that will be included with your incidentals upon check-out. 

3)  Your Gold status will NOT be lost after you use the points, the status is based upon either the number of nights stayed during the calendar year and is reset each year at the end of February.  Your Gold status as all Elite levels is valid the year you achieve it as well as the next year until February.  Since you gained Gold in 2015 it will be good through February 2016, unless you achieve Platinum in this calendar year then Platinum status will be good for that period of time.

4)  You need 75 paid nights to reach Platinum.

Many questions can also be answered at the FAQ link: All your Marriott Rewards questions are answered in this FAQ

Hope this helps and I'm certain other Insides will provide more valuable information.

suryagadde Gold

Thank you very much for your immediate reply.

Regarding Point No#4, You need 75 paid nights to reach Platinum

I had a stay for about 84(60+24) days and did not get Platinum membership. Why this is? Is there any criteria?

You're welcome, I just happened to be logging into Insiders and saw your question.  No point requirement just the 75 paid nights. 

Elite Membership Requirements

1. Only nights personally stayed and individually billed at participating Marriott brand or Ritz-Carlton hotels are credited toward Elite Membership achievement and renewal. Accounts may not be combined to achieve Elite Membership.

2. To achieve or renew Elite Membership status, the following number of personal nights must be earned through Rewarding Events or stayed at participating locations between January 1 and December 31 of any given year:

Silver10 to 49 nights
          Gold50 to 74 nights
          Platinum75 or more nights
        3. Reward certificate stays do not count toward Elite membership.

4. Hotel charges without a personal overnight stay will not earn room night credit toward Elite membership.

What brand did you stay because some such as ExecuStay you only get one night for every three you stay?

And again you only receive credit toward Elite levels when it's a paid stay.

suryagadde Gold

I had a stay in TownPlaceSuites Tempe, Tempe, AZ, USA. I did not use any free nights during the stay or after the stay. I paid for the complete stay with my credit card.

And did you get credited for all the nights in your Rewards account?  If so then I'd be picking up the phone and calling your Gold Elite Customer Service number and asking questions.

suryagadde Gold

I just log in to my Rewards Account and captured the screen and find the same below.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Bonus nights: 9. Does it mean I can use 9 nights in any Marriott hotels? Does these 9 night requires reward points?

Thank you very much for your quick response.

The bonus nights are nights added to your yearly total to help determine an Elite level, they do not have anything to do with free nights.

ndn Platinum

Did your stay cross over a year? 60 nights in 2014 and 24 in 2015? Elite status is per calendar year.    

joshm Member

Takin' over the game here, IAHFLYR, Love it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...