28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2015 12:21 AM by kharada46 RSS

Travel Shoe Recommendations

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In an effort to travel lighter, I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations for multi-use travel shoes? 

My criteria are:

• Great comfort for all day walking/standing/light hiking
  • Can be used as casual footwear, but will also work with more dressy clothing
  • Must be durable

I have very bad collapsed arches, which causes great pain in my legs and lower back with poor shoes.  I typically buy Asics, Brooks and Ecco, though am open to other brands.  New Balance doesn't fit my feet well so those aren't an option either. 

Thanks in advanced!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Travel Shoe Recommendations
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I wouldn't say "travel lighter", but if we are going to be doing a lot of walking say in SFO, SEA, or NYC I will bring my Nike all purpose tennies if spring-fall....winter I wear Sketchers even though they are not all that light just like the Nike shoes very very comfortable for me.

Now going tropical, wear on the plane Sketcher Deck shoes and pack my Flip Flops.  If I can't wear Flip Flops out to a dining establishment we don't need to go there!!  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks IAHFLYR!  My wife is a big fan of Nike, but I haven't owned a pair in YEARS.  Should look into it... lol no flip flops means now business?  I hear the Park Hyatt Maldives signature restaurant is footwear optional!  Too bad Marriott doesn't have a location in the Maldives or French Polynesia... Hyatt and Starwood do...

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

kharada46

I have big, wide feet (14 EEE) and have discovered on Amazon.com shoes called Bio Fit which have been great for me.  They have all kind of sizes and types of shoe, not just wide ones, but are a bit pricey as you will see.  Good luck.  I've had foot problems my entire life and these seem to solve them so far (three months out).

Thanks for the tip bpelican!  I'll have to look into those.  Never heard of um!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

kharada46,

TERRIFIC question - with ever evolving answers.  In my book:

Thanks for the info ssindc!  I'm on a relatively tight budget, so I'll probably skip the Mephisto, but may check it out out of curiosity

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I unfortunately had to research this same question.  Here's what I got out of a lot of internet, personal opinion and podiatrist information that I would love to share with you.

Arches -- you didn't mention this, but do you wear shoe inserts?  I have found these have helped a lot and others swear by them.  There are several brands to choose from, but one that worked for me is Sof Sole.  I get these at Olympia Sports here in New England but they are available at other places and on-line.  These Sof Sole inserts reduce body fatigue (backache, etc.), add comfort and absorb shock.  I need the arch support that comes from the particular model for high arches but they have all kinds.  There is another brand that I tried (on recommendation from the podiatrist) but they did nothing for me and I returned both pairs (there was a 90 day guarantee).  These were called SuperFeet and any reputable store can help you with the particular model (they come color coded) you need.  For my Sof Sole inserts, those I put into Asics GT-2000 sneakers after I remove the footbed that came with them from the manufacturer.   I couldn't get the New Balance footwear to feel comfortable so I gave up on those.

The important thing if you have any arch issues is to make sure that the bottom of the shoe cannot flex sideways (picture taking a sneaker and twisting the toe one way and the heel another way).

Here are specific shoes on my typewritten list from the podiatrist:  Brooks Addiction (running shoes that come in mesh or solid leather); New Balance 1123, 1223, 1521, 928 or 577 (also available in mesh or solid leather); Asics Kayano or GT series; Keen hiking or running; Salomon; Merrell.

Here are other dress shoes on the list from my podiatrist that can work besides Mephisto and ECCO:  Naot and Born.  Not sure of styling of all those for a guy, but you can check it all out.  Zappos is a great on-line store for both men and women.

So -- have you gone to the podiatrist to see what he/she can do to help you?  The first thing they'll say is that flip-flops have no support so you can probably eliminate those from your wardrobe.  Actually, every doctor will tell you that but it's your choice if you choose to listen to them!  Flip-flop-itis is a common podiatry problem now.  Not good news for those living in Hawaii, is it?

Best of luck in finding something you like and is comfortable.  -Sledchick

Woa!  Thanks for the great info Sledchick!  I don't wear inserts, but I have seen a podiatrist.  He hand't told me about Sof Sole, but does recommend mainly Asics, Brooks and Mizuno.  His only other option was custom orthotics, which is way to expensive  

But yup, flip flops (or slippers as we call them) are very common in Hawaii.  That's all my wife really wears.  I'm unusual for local people in that I almost always wear shoes!  Needless to say my feet area really white haha

Will definitely check out the Sof Soles!    Thanks again!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I would echo everything that Sledchick said.  Since my bad case of plantar fasciitis last year, I now always wear orthotic inserts, which only cost about $30/pair, and I have multiple pairs so I'm not constantly switching them out.  I have both full inserts and half inserts.  They support the arch and I think, really help.  It was a bit of a challenge getting used to them at first, but now it's fine.  I also gave up house slippers for orthopedic flip flops.  They have built in arch support.  They're about $80, but I love them.  Not as stylish as my $80 Coach flip flops, but if I don't want the PF to come back, well they had to go.  I also love my Brooks cross trainers with the full ortho inserts added, and yes it's a travel dilemma to take them or not, as they take up space, but I usually just take them.  Whenever I can let go of the need to earn style points when flying - on the outbound at least, I'll just wear them on the flight, thereby saving space.  I too love zappos.com and Clarks shoes.  I walk piles of miles in them when in Europe, and also at home on my lunch hour (when it's not hot).  Very comfortable.

Jsucool76 Gold

I get free boots from work that I wear all the time. They're some red wing composite safety toe boots, but they're comfortable, so I just wear them. lol.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great topic, kharada46! Trying to pack the right shoes can be difficult, and it's so important to pack the right ones! I'm with @ssindc on this one. Keen is a great brand, and REI will have a great selection of different brands to choose from.

Thanks lindseyh!  It really is... and they take up so much space! 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I love my Keen shoes for hiking and walking.  If I need something for dressier attire, I usually have some low-heeled shoes or flats packed along.  None of my casual/dressy shoes would give me the proper support for walking long distances. 

tishers Platinum

I had to look up your profile for male or female choices. I was not sure if you were interested in a comfortable pump.

Probably not your style.

LOL, thanks Tishers, but that's definitely not my style!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

SAS walking shoes are very comfortable and offer excellent support.  They are not very stylish, but I do wear them with business casual attire.

They are American made (in Texas) and very durable.  We walk all over cities while on vacation and I love SAS shoes.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Yep, San Antonio Shoe (SAS) made right in good ole San Antone!!

So, I actually ended up buy 3 pairs of shoes thanks to a pretty good deal I got from Onlineshoes.com & Ecco. 

• Ecco Chander Casual Sneakers as my casual travel sneakers for city walking & somewhat dressy occasions
    • Ecco Terra Cruise for hiking and what not
    • Asics Gel-Equation 7 for casual days at work and casual work events

These will be in addition to my Brooks Beast '12 shoes for walking/jogging and my Ecco Atlanta dress shoes.  Didn't really solve my problem of getting an all purpose shoe, but will just have to plan whenever traveling

Oh, and Sledchick, I did pickup a pair of SofSols from the local Sports Authority.  They actually had me try on a bunch of different ones.  Right now I have the Plantar one, not because I have it, but because I liked the gel heel area.  I might pickup a couple more pairs   

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

usually boat shoes and ecco sneakers

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

Shoes by Camper fit your travel requirements.  It's a little pricey though but well made.

Thanks for the info laketahoe!  Never heard of Camper before, but I'll check them out! 

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I always wear vans. They are the most comfortable shoes to me by far. Ive never liked the feeling or look of actual sports shoes. Plus they are small and easy to pack.

Thanks jm1991!  Small and easy to pack are always a good thing for sure

paul999 Member

Interesting topic, just following along. My feet are also notoriously bad.

Since I migrated to the tropics though it's become better. For some reasons wearing shoes just hurts my feet, so now I just walk barefooted when I can, and slippers with a thick sole (it provides good support for me) when I can't walk barefooted.

Since doing that my feet health has become a lot better.

Interesting paul999!  Glad you feel much better!  Unfortunately, slippers don't do much for me.  Not enough arch support.  I'm probably one of the few locals you'll see almost always wearing shoes haha

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...