2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2015 11:26 PM by john_thai RSS

Venting.....

neorkathy Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Well, it's been a great ride but I think my time with Marriott is about over.  All the recent changes have not been favorable to their customers:  the new cancellation policy, the (seemingly) heavily restricted use of points and the crazy summer room rates. It also seems like the category levels on Fairfield Inn has been raised most everywhere I stay.

I have been a rewards member for about six years.  I mostly stay at Fairfield Inn or Courtyard.  If I wanted to use points, I could usually get a Fairfield Inn for about 10,00-15,000 points and Courtyard for about 15,000-20,000 and I never had any trouble, regardless of season, using my points.  Not so this summer.  Additionally, the rates seem to have gone through the roof.

For example, at a Courtyard in the Seattle area I often stay at, the weekend rate right now is $199 a night.  For the heck of it, I looked at reserving a room in late September - $95!  Now, I realize it's all about "supply and demand" - at least that's the rationale.  But I see it as greed, plain and simple.

What I'm wondering is did Marriott sell off to another corporation or change their management?   Is that the reason for all the change?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venting.....
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well neorkathy,

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated, but I must admit you lost me at the leap from "supply and demand" (or market and/or peak pricing) to "greed, plain and simple."

In any event, I hope you find that the grass is greener on the other side....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venting.....
      john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

In the slow months they have to have low prices to get people to stay there. Many sites lose money during these periods. But better losing a little bit per room than having a completely empty hotel.

In periods of high demand they not only need to make a profit but to make up for the periods when they lose money.

Not greed. Just good business.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...