4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2009 10:35 AM by NathalieF RSS

Purchasing a package with points

krissi Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We travel from the UK to the US twice per year.

We have enough points to buy a package but we are told that points can take up to SIX weeks to be allocated as miles to our Frequent Flier account.

This is not feasible - airlines won't wait that long and by the time you have the miles allocated, the number of "freebie" seats are long gone. We don't really want to have to pay an extra fee to expedite this.

Can we ask for help and ideas/suggestions from other Marriott Owners with similar experience?

Thanks,

Krissi

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Purchasing a package with points
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Krissi

According to Buy Transfer or Convert Points, Marriott requires up to six weeks to convert points to airline miles.  As a Marriott Owner, have you tried contacting MVCI Owner Services for assistance with expediting the request?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

columbussig Platinum

Krissi

I transferred Marriott points to American Airlines, it happened the next day.  I am assuming the 6 week lead time is worst case scenario that they naturally pad days into this process. Hence, they can delight the customer with quicker service.

lesliepamel Platinum

Krissi, I have never experienced a problem. I used to order the award on Marriottrewards .com, specify I wanted the points placed in my BA account, and they were normally there within 24 hours.

Just one caution though_ If you do not yet have a BA account, they are difficult to come by if you do not meet BA's requirements. (become a member on your second PAID flight) The answer to that is to get MR to open an account for you.

I have also used several US flight companies without any problem, however with BA being part of ONE WORLD you can use BA points on AMERICAN or several other airlines. I run a UNITED account to give me access to the STAR ALLIANCE group. I havn't yet got around to opening a DELTA account to use their SKY TEAM alliance.

If your points originate from timeshare though I would check the award value very carefully.

Happy vacations............

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Krissi,

Thanks for the post - we appreciate hearing your concerns regarding turning points into miles. After speaking to the appropriate contacts at HQ, I learned the time it takes to process points to miles has to do with the frequency of system interfaces, which varies from daily to monthly. We believe six weeks is a very conservative estimate to cover the varying partner capabilities, and have been told that it is usually much quicker.

I hope this information is helpful and best of luck in buying the right package!

Thanks again,

Andrew

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...