8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2015 10:20 AM by joshm RSS

Travel for Leisure - YES REALLY I mean it! But where??

lifeontheroad Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

It is time to use some Marriott points and all those coast to coast frequent flyer miles for some grown up time!  Any suggestions for a laid back, fun and relaxing vacation type travel.  I'm PP / LTP and made Executive platinum again this year by June. So I know its hard to conceive of traveling for fun looking for great experiences at Marriott properties that make you want to be back there.

I hate to be cold and snow no way ( I grew up in in Central NY State and went to school in Buffalo).

give me your best!

I live in the Southeast and work in SoCal.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Del Mar, California, USA
  • Re: Travel for Leisure - YES REALLY I mean it! But where??
    joshm Member

This is a GREAT thread, lifeontheroad!

I may be biased, but the Pacific Northwest is a pretty awesome place to visit in the summer months. Lots to do outside, some of the best beer out there if that's your thing, and it's looking to be quite the heater as far as summer temperatures go.

I'm intrigued to see what other members of the community have to say about this. Hopefully you get some cool suggestions.

Thanks for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

If you're looking for summer or early fall trip I have to go along with joshm on this one, the Great Pacific Northwest towns of Portland and Seattle are great spots.  If beer isn't your thing the wine of the Willamette Valley in Oregon and Walla Walla as well as Columbia Valley Regions in Washington are excellent wine producing areas. 

The countryside of both cities is beautiful and the food incredible particularly the fish, clams and oysters.  Seattle Pike Place Market will have some of the most vivid colors for flowers (other than the famous foxglove garden) and fresh seafood places along Elliott Bay. 

P1010635.JPG

Let us know what time of year you're thinking of this trip taking place as I'm certain others will have excellent ideas.

curiousone Platinum

I couldn't agree more about Portland and Seattle. If you are in Seattle, why not take Amtrak, or a ferry, up to Vancouver BC?

Farther South, San Francisco is always fun (Have a weekend there in August.)

One that I really enjoyed, and was surprised by, was Santa Monica CA. The JW Le Merigot is just a couple blocks from the beach and downtown Santa Monica is very interesting!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Unfortunately, the Foxglove Garden (the blog) seems to be on some sort of hiatus in an alternative universe. The real foxglove garden's doing well, but whether or not I'll be able to post pix remains to be seen...

joshm Member

Good stuff right here.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

lifeontheroad!  Here are a few suggestions:

1.  The Berkshires in Massachusetts.  (FI in Great Barrington)

2.  Washington DC (Dozens of Marriott properties at every level)

3.  New York City (Again, Dozens of Marriott properties at every level)

4.  Montreal, Quebec

5  Toronto (Watch a Blue Jaysgame from your room at the Rogers Center)

6. Vail, Colorado, Summer or Winter  (A Marriott and a Ritz to choose from)

lifeontheroad Platinum

Great ideas! I am thinking August / Sept

I spent time in Portland and did a drive down the coast to SF. Definitely would recommend. I'm from NY originally so I do need to get back that way.

love Montreal spent many summers there - part of my family is from there. I should head back to Massachusetts my rugby mate would love a visit. I didn't know there was a FI there.

I am honestly cracking up at the places listed I  have "lived" at a Marriott (aka hometel)

- outside SF for 6 months love that city an the wine areas.

- Toronto 6 months what a blast.

- outside of DC a year although I do need to get to that new Marriott in DC - Renaissance Arlington Capital View. I I have heard it is really nice.

- now in SoCal 7 months and counting

Seattle sounds like a super one.And curiousone the tip about taking the ferry or amtrak to BC -awesome idea.

Vail in summer good idea!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...