24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2017 3:32 PM by jrayn101 RSS

Marriott Compensation Guarantee

sam-daisy Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

what The Marriott Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift --the list of compensation is a joke.  I called today with missing Elite Platinum points for the arrival gift and requested the compensation as the "guaranteed benefit" was not met.  I was informed that I would have to request this prior to hotel check out.

That is completely impossible to do as the Reward Points are not added until days after the departure.  First time I have been disappointed with my Marriott program.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Oklahoma City Downtown/Bricktown
Amarillo, Texas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center
  • Re: Marriott Compensation Guarantee
    ndn Platinum

Were the points offered? If so, but they failed to post, the guarantee does not apply.  The guarantee only applies if no "offer" was made. If the offer was made, but the points never appeared, its a "technical error."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sam-daisy Platinum

Thank you.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Sorry to hear that! If you would like, I can pass your experience on to our team to look into this and help provide support. Just shoot me a direct message with your Rewards number and best way to reach you.

sam-daisy Platinum

I can't figure out how to email you my reward number.

Thank you for responding to my post regarding the Elite Rewards Guarantee.  I now understand the guarantee is in the "offering" of the gift and not the actual receiving of the "gift".  It seems a little backwards to me as I do find that I need to call customer service for missing points now and then but I understand the program better now.  Thank you.

I am still a loyal customer.

Best regards,

sam-daisy

If you would still like to send me a message and get connected to customer care, feel free to do so! Just hover over my name and icon, and you should see an option to send me a direct message

penguindan Gold

Carrie, I seem unable to send you a direct message.  Any chance you would send one to me, and I can reply?

Sending you a DM now!

Iloverewards Platinum

Sam-daisy....I agree with you!  There are some changes that I am finding as a discomfort for my travel using Marriott.  I never had to call and speak with so many reps by phone in the last three days.  I celebrate the fact companies wants to hire people with eagerness, great personalities, and excellent product knowledge!! I wish that Marriott could attractive these talents again.

schully17 Platinum

Yes, that Guaranted arrival gift is useless. They did not offer me the gift or acknowledge my status upon checkin, I called the manager a few hours later and she just said that they added the arrival bonus points. That is it. I am at OKC Residence Inn Bricktown now, same thing, no offered market item or points. Pointless to even ask. this is NOT a guarantee.

Location Brand Hotel
      Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Oklahoma City Downtown/Bricktown
    lifeontheroad Platinum

Seems like a management issue in OKC. i had a similar situation in La Jolla and not only did they immediately credit the missing points they offered  extra for my trouble.

702rugbyref Platinum

Man..something else to watch out for. The points should be automatic and I rarely have chosen the food voucher so I guess I now need to monitor these bonus points to be added. Thanks! Phil

shortnsassytxn Platinum

I find this to be comical. I have gone as far as call cooperate office myself and still am not getting ANYTHING...    GOODLUCK..

Location Brand Hotel
    Amarillo, Texas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center
    zman Platinum 2 Reviews

One time I was actually offered the cash compensation when I didn't know about it.  Since then it has been a different story. Today, I checked into a CY Beaumont, TX and was not offered a platinum arrival gift or points.  Once I got to the room, I thought about it and decided maybe I should see what the benefits are for a Platinum, because being PP doesn't get anything different! Ha!  So, I confirmed that it was $50.  I politely went back up to the front desk and kindly pointed out that I wasn't offered and now, I would like the $50 cash guarantee.  The lady behind the desk was very nice, and quickly offered the bonus points and arrival gift.  I said thank you, but now I would also like the $50 cash.  She apologized and said that it would have to come out of her own pocket.  I asked if she was familiar with the guarantee, and she indicated she was not.  I said I think it would be best for me to show you on my computer.  I came back and she was on the phone with someone with Marriott, and again said since she made the mistake, the money would come out of her own pocket.  I asked what Marriott told her.  She said they indicated she could negotiate with points or I am owed the $50.  She offered 7,500 points.  I took the points because I did not want the money to come out of the pocket of the person who works for the money.  I am shocked.  Is this really how this guarantee is designed?  Have the guest feel guilty for potentially taking money out of the worker's pocket for something they are guaranteed? I hope others do not experience these tactics, and no way was I gonna take $50 from someone.  

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Sounds like quite the experience, zman!  I'd like to take a look into this for you and have reached out via direct message for additional details.

droma Platinum

This is definitely not how it is designed, although you also were incorrect here.  The front desk has the opportunity to remedy the points and arrival gift while you are still a guest at the hotel.  When she offered the arrival gift and points after you went back down, that's really where the story should have ended.

That being said, still not an excuse for the Marriott employee at the desk or on the phone to not know company policy.

zman Platinum 2 Reviews

I have to disagree.  Once you leave the property, the T's and C's no longer apply to the guarantee(according to post by Brightlybob, who my understanding is a lawyer).  Therefore, if you wait until you leave to bring it up, you would never receive the guarantee money.  So, the guarantee is for the arrival gift/points, should happen on arrival.  If it doesn't, then the guarantee is in place. 

droma Platinum

You might be right, I agree about the part on leaving the property, there's no doubt you need to request while still there.  I thought there used to be a clause in the terms that said the hotel had a chance to remedy the situation at any time during the stay.  I can't seem to find it anymore, I might be losing it...

zman Platinum 2 Reviews

This day in age, I think I lose my mind a couple of times a day! 

Typically, I think they do have a chance to remedy any issues.  However, on this one, the remedy would always be to just provide the arrival gift/points at any point during the stay.  With that action, the compensation guarantee would really be worthless.  Hope your travels are fun!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Absolutely right there zman, as per paragraph 2 of the Elite Benefits Guarantee:

If an Elite Member believes that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation.

Full Terms are to be found here...

http://www.marriott.co.uk/rewards/terms/elite.mi

As it's an arrival gift is meant to be offered in checkin, although I have heard of properties denying claims where someone turns up after checkin but still in the same day and simply offer the points or amenity then on the basis they are offering on the day if arrival, so it's still an arrival amenity... yes???? Hmmmm. Whatever the wriggle room, its a definitely the case that you must  claim before you checkout, or you're done for!

erc Platinum

droma and zman - like the gaggle of congressmen around my neck of the woods who "feel strongly both ways", both of you are speaking the truth.

This topic of compensation for the non-offer of platinum arrival gift has been around for years causing headaches for the Marriott lodger. The ambiguity and vagueness of the T & Cs always provided an opportunity for properties to squirm out at the worse ("oh, we posted the points" to even "yes, we did tell you" and an entire variation of the same) and/or forced the lodger to often persist/haggle/argue (while remaining a guest) as the least offensive solution.  These outcomes reported time and time again in the various forums, lead most of us travel veterans to just ask for points either at the front desk or by calling Marriott Rewards (which for me, works 100% of the 4-5 times per year I call) rather than endure the pita in pursuing the clearly spelled out, but oft-times begrudgingly (if at all) executed $ compensation.

Droma, this post last month is probably where you got the impression the policy had been tweaked (and who knows, perhaps it has)

Platinum arrival gift policy changed?

and zman, you are correct, if the policy allowed for the points to be offered at any time, the guarantee would be worthless. Well, guess what?

Here's a post from a few years back where the OP took 'lawyer'  brightlybob and 'lobbyist' erc to task for being such apologists and wimps by suggesting that he should just take the points (with a 1,000 point apology bonus) and call it a day, that otherwise he could go down a rabbit hole of futility. No davidni insisted, it was a matter of principle. He was quite confident that he could resolve the situation because of that principle. Three months later he posted that after several interactions with various levels of Marriott customer service....he got nowhere.

Retroactively Posting Platinum Bonus Points to Avoid Paying the Guarantee?

Like the posting of the Birthday Elite Night and everyone receiving a MegaBonus, the Platinum Guarantee remains a Gordian Knot.

droma Platinum

erc That was exactly what I remember seeing...phew I knew I saw it somewhere...didn't realize it wasn't actual terms, just a response email.  Either way, thanks for making me feel a little less crazy!

zman Apologies for the incorrect information upfront.  The people on the phone should be ashamed for making that front desk associate feel like she would have to pay out of her pocket if that was the case.  I'll definitely keep this info in the pocket for the future, although I must admit like others I usually just remind them up front to avoid the chase...it's unfortunate we have to do that.

zman Platinum 2 Reviews

Thank you to all who have commented. Here is the email I received from the CY Beaumont as resolution to my "complaint" here.  I removed my last name and the name of the Assistant General Manager.  I guess some folks don't understand how much time P and PP folks spend in Marriotts.  They missed my entire issue all together.  The 7,500 points was for the missing the platinum arrival gift.  What about how the person negotiated with saying the money would have to come out of their own pocket.  With the assistant general manager not addressing that, maybe that is their policy?  Oh well....I am confident well managed properties will restore my faith as I know there are plenty of them out there. 

Hello Mr. xxxxxxx,

I just wanted to personal reach out and apologize for the issue you had at our hotel. Per your agreement with Annalya we have added 7,500 points to account for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

--

zman Platinum 2 Reviews

All,

The general manager sent this message today.  Hopefully, the training will review how not to make the guest feel guilty for requesting the guarantee.  I appreciate the hotel addressing the problem.

Good morning Mr. xxxxxxx,

We sincerely apologize for the experience at check-in regarding your Platinum Arrival gift, we have since extended further training to our front desk staff members so that this issue will not happen again moving forward.

But for your inconvenience, in addition to the points already offered, we will be mailing you the $50 to the current address you have on your reservation, if there is a different address, please let me know and I will get this out to you on today.

Once again please accept our apologies for falling short of procedures and acknowledging your Platinum Premier status.

Sincerely,

--

jrayn101 Platinum

I recently had a stay in Baton Rouge , LA. As a Platinum member was not greeted , offered a welcome gift , or even told where the lounge was.  After getting to my room i noticed someone had been in the room and used the facilities. I went back down and explained everything to the shfit manager.  I must and did give her and the GM of the propertry a big kudos for listening and rectifying the situation. I was compensated my $100 with no questions asked. Even got an upgraded room.  For the way they professionally handled the situation I will definetly give them another chance next time im in town.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...