33 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2015 10:26 AM by pluto77 RSS

Help a geezer and feel good about yourself!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Granted, it's been a while since I posted my last blog post in the Foxglove Garden, but I'm having difficulty posting a piece about our recent trip to the Southern Outer Banks. I readily admit it could be operator error, but I think I've correctly followed procedure: 1. Name where it should posted (my blog)  2. Create a title for the post  3. Create post  4. Add tags  5. Add location tags  6. Publish

Here are pre-publish and post-publish screen shots. Note the pink error bar with exclamation point (but no clues) in the second:

IAHFLYR, bejacob, pluto77, joshm or anyone else: Any thoughts on what may be going on here? It saves the post but won't publish it. I've tried several times (and even deleted and re-created the entire post from scratch) but to no avail. Thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Help a geezer and feel good about yourself!
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Dear Foxglove,

What is going on here is that the website is broken.  Some can post, others cannot.  Sometimes I can post, other times I cannot.  I half expect this reply to be "eaten" when I click the 'add reply' button.  I have repeatedly posted replies, comments, photo albums, discussion threads, and blog posts, many of which were very detailed, and often painstakingly time consuming, in attempt to answer traveler questions, share travel experiences and in general, keep the conversation going, but every time I do, my posts have been eaten by the ubiquitous 'error message.'

No one can help you except the Marriott Insiders IT team.  They apparently screwed things up when they tried to combat the spamming.  They are the only ones who can fix it, and I am sorry to say that my confidence is low.

This is my farewell to all.  I've really enjoyed my time here and I love this community, but I cannot afford to waste anymore of it on futile attempts to post, along with the repeated frustration that accompanies. 

Best wishes!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Thanks, pluto, but I'm really sorry to hear you're outta here. I actually tagged you because I'd seen the dreaded pink bar in one of your screen shots last week. I spent several hours over the weekend trying to make it work because, as I said, I wasn't sure that it wasn't me messin' up.

Maybe after the "greater team" works the kinks out you'll reconsider. I sincerely hope so. In the meantime, take care and safe travels! It's been fun.

Yes, but I am not holding my breath (funny, if you do a search on Insiders for the phrase 'hold my breath', you'll get a ton of hits...)  Anyway, it does not appear to be a priority.

You too!

joshm Member

Bummer deal to see you go, pluto77.

You've been such an awesome contributor and voice within this forum. You've given a great deal more to this community than you probably realize.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Don't leave pluto77!!!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

foxglove and pluto77:

I'm so sorry about the errors and issues you're experiencing. I am having the same issues on my side as well. I spend most of my day back and forth with the tech team, as they try to reproduce errors themselves and see what's going on. To be honest with you, they haven't yet found the root of the problem, but I know as soon as they do, it will be fixed ASAP. It is my top priority to have these issues fixed, and I assure you I will make sure things move along.

Pluto - the details and screen shots you have provided have helped tremendously: I send everything along to the team. It helps them narrow down what could be going on.

Thanks, NathalieF. We all really do appreciate your efforts. In the meantime, there may be a "discussion" posted soon titled "The Battle of New Bern, NC."

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Hey foxglove, I haven't tried to post a blog entry since my visit to your part of the country. I seem to recall that shortly after that trip, the spam issues hit. Not long after that a system update messed up the emoticons (luckily that has been fixed ). It's hard to know if these things are related (maybe, maybe not).

I've not had much to say of late, but with my twice-delayed trip to Michigan set for this weekend, I plan to write a new blog entry once I get back.

I wish I could give you some advice on what to do, but I suspect pluto77 may be right about who will have to sort this mess out. So far, I've only experienced minor issues (like the missing smileys). In general, my replies to posts have been error free. I haven't tried anything complicated (i.e. uploading pictures) so I'll have to see what happens when I next try.

I've been looking forward to hearing about your trip. I'll keep an eye out for a blog entry or a discussion thread. Thanks for the fuzzy preview.

bejacob Thanks, BE. I have yet to experience any problems responding to discussions, and I was able to upload the fuzz shots above, so I may go to "unilateral discussion mode" till these issues are resolved. I've tried posting the blog entry from three different computers -- and three different web accounts -- but the pink menace appears every time.

NathalieF Here are some more clues for the IT sleuths:

Okay, just tried it as a discussion starter (twice) -- and same result. First time the pink menace had the message "You must specify a valid location," even though the site had auto-filled "New Bern, NC, USA" and the SHS brand and property name after I had typed n-e-w b-e-r. Second time the menace was back, but with no message -- just the empty pink bar, and both times the photos had vanished. On the attempted blog posts, the photos had remained in place; the post simply didn't get published. UNCLE!

Thanks foxglove! All details are appreciated and again, I'm sorry you're having these issues.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think like all here I've found the site somewhat slower, I can mostly post but generally find bogger posts and any cut and paste posts (which is what I do for my longer and more analytical posts) are just outright fails which leaves me filing pretty glib replies, that aren't nearly as helpful as I'd want. Now i make up short replies and when I get "the red line of death" I just sigh and abandon the effort. Life's too short to post to a site where the computer doesn't want my input!

Hey brightlybob - you and pluto77 have both said that something's up when you try and copy+paste. Can you both provide some more details about what happens when you do this? What comes through and what doesn't? Does it not work at all? Where are you copying+pasting from?

We used to be able to copy and paste from address bars, from websites, from Word docs, etc.  It was clunky coming from Word, as it would totally mess up the formatting from the Word doc, but at least it worked.  Now it does not work at all.  Cannot copy/paste from anywhere.  After being killed a few times, I would copy/paste my posts into Word to save them in case the 'error message' would eat them, but then I couldn't recopy/paste them back into a new reply attempt, so that workaround wasn't good either.

Thanks pluto. Was this when you started new discussions and when you tried to reply to existing discussions/blogs? Could you also let me know what web browser you use and the version? Thank you!

NathalieF Hey, Nathalie. Here's some more clues (?) for the team: Today I re-keyed the entire blog post, no cut-and-pastes or anything. I re-inserted all photos, went through the tags, etc. I noticed that whenever I'd "Save and continue" while keying the post, the typed portions would be shown in a brief flash of a Roman font, then return to Arial. I'd never noticed that when composing previous posts. Before I hit "Publish," I copied it to a word doc (for memory purposes, in case I have to re-do it at some point). When I pasted it in Word, the font had changed to a New Times-like Roman, rather than the default Arial. Anyway, in the end, in when I tried to publish, I got the pink bar with no message.  `\/\/`

Thank you all so much for providing such specific details - I'm sending everything to my team!

foxglove pluto77 brightlybob and anyone else - There was some system maintenance last night and a full community restart - can you try posting again and let me know if you are still getting errors?

NathalieF THREE CHEERS FOR NATHALIE!  HUZZAH!  HUZZAH!  HUZZAH!

Success! Thank you so much for all your hard work! And to your team, as well.

That's such great news foxglove! Glad it seems to be working...please keep me posted if you run into any other errors!

I have to admit, it was with bated breath that I clicked on "Publish." It felt sooo good when I saw it had posted. And just  for the record, the system recovered my last attempt from yesterday, and that's what was published. Thanks again.

Good news, Community Manager.  I will give it a try.  Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...