14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2015 12:03 AM by bob.travel RSS

Venice, Budapest, and Prague; practical itinerary or big mistake?

stlram Platinum 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I were discussing a trip next spring and were considering Venice, Budapest and Prague. We are planning on staying 3 to 5 days in each city. Does the sequence of Venice to Budapest to Prague make sense? In particular, what suggestions regarding whether train or air travel between cities is preferential? Do you have recommendations regarding hotels, restaurants, and sites to visit? Any comments would be greatly appreciate

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Budapest, Hungary Autograph Collection Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection
Prague, Czech Republic Autograph Collection Boscolo Prague, Autograph Collection
Venice, Italy Autograph Collection
  • Re: Venice, Budapest, and Prague; practical itinerary or big mistake?
    joshm Member

A wonderful thread to have started here, stlram.

You ask some great questions.

I scanned the forum here and found some threads that may contain some useful information as you make your plans. Those threads are below:

Recommendations on things to see and do in Prague and Budapest

Re: Must see's in Budapest??

Re: Prague Marriott

Hope these help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Josh, thank you for sending the threads. They were very helpful. One of our biggest concerns for planning purposes is travel from each of the destination cities since they are so far apart. Although we typically travel from city to city within the same country by train, going from country to country is a different situation completely. We are also unfamiliar regarding air transportation particularly in the Czech Republic and Hungary. Any insight would be most appreciated.

joshm Member

I'm glad you found the threads to be helpful, stlram!

Regarding the air transportation question, you should totally start a new thread that seeks insights around air transportation in the Czech Republic and Hungary. The folks here at insiders know a great deal about Airlines, Airports, and everything in between. They will surely see your thread and share experiences that may inform your planning decisions.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

WE just got back from a river cruise and visited both Vienna and Budapest and both are wonderful . I have looked at the same three cities and would do three- four days in each. I believe there are trains linking all three citiesand suspect that would be the best as trains will go to the central part of each country vs airports that are outside.  I would look at the airplane fares to decide where i started . From the map in looks like prague to vienna to budapest is shortest

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

YYou can fly from USA non-stop to both Prague and Venice, but not Budapest, which is best reached by train from one of either of your choices. Trains run directly between Budapest and Prague, but between Budapest and Venice you'll need to change in Vienna. Go to the Euro-Rail Guru site that is http.www.seat61.com.

IVe been to all your destinations, Prague and Budapest are 3-day cities, Venice more like 5 or so, though I could return never-endinngly and not see it all! Dont bother within the Marriott options though, stay in a hotel actually on the grand canal or one of its tributaries to get the full Venician experience. Also,as you'll need to change in Vienna, why not add that to your itinerary, it's another 3-day City and the Ren there is fabulous!

Thanks for your response as well as mentioning the Euro-Rail Guru site. I'm a stickler for having as much information to make planning an decisions at hand to mitigate any surprises while traveling abroad.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

ME too, it drives the missus crazy, she calls it my disease, but then she always looks to me for answers when we get where we're going, so my info-hunger does prove useful to her!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I believe that Venice is a bit out of the way from the other two stops you are considering.

We did Vienna, Budapest and Prague together and had a wonderful trip.  Prague was a delight and the other two stops were close behind.

The Marriott in Budapest is wonderful and has a spectacular view of the Chain Bridge, at night.  It also has one of the best CLs anywhere with a great view, fabulous deserts, excellent service, and a great view.

We are also considering Venice in combination with Rome and Florence, this fall and would welcome comments about those three cities.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This make sense to me.  I did Rome and Venice this year and will be doing Prague, Vienna and Budapest next year.  Train ride from Prague to Budapest is 4 hours.  Train from Rome to Venice 4 hours but stop in Florence and split the time.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Did you experience any flooding in Venice?.  I have heard a few horror stories along those lines.  One friend experienced knee deep water one day.

I'm also concerned about mold that can come in places that have a lot of flooding.  My wife and I both have mold allergy problems.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

No flooding.  I was there in June.  The locals said it does flood sometimes and then they wear boots.  I didn't notice mold but I stayed on the waterway at the Hotel Danielle.  As you get farther in on the smaller canals, you can smell stagnant air and that would be less desirable to me.

bob.travel Platinum

We had a wonderful time visiting Budapest, then Vienna, then Prague. We flew into Budapest on Lufthansa and took the train to Vienna then to Prague.  We flew Swiss Air home from Prague.  We stayed at excellent Marriott properties in Vienna and Prague. In Budapest, we stayed in the Buda castle in another chain's hotel. Each city is fascinating. In Vienna, take the short train ride to see Bratislava's incredible Old Town.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...