1 2 3 10 Previous Next 136 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2016 7:33 AM by mrbmbrown Branched to a new discussion. RSS

What Credit Cards do you carry and why?

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have the Marriott Rewards CC for obviously points for stays

Southwest Airlines so if I need to take a quick short notice trip I have points for my family as well.

AAdvantage Silver for my primary airline focus 'Platinum Status' currently.

I am thinking about possibly the Hilton Rewards card as an alternative hotel stay partner.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
credit cards bonus promotion
  • 1. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    Jsucool76 Gold

I'd opt for hyatt over hilton any day of the week based on quality of the rewards system, though hilton seems to have a bigger footprint.

Currently in my carry wallet (I also have a travel wallet that I keep tons of other cards in) I have

AAdvantage Aviator Red (Just upgraded to silver) - hopped on the bandwagon for 50k points @ 1st purchase, and will now get $100 global entry credit (for someone else) - Currently in the 50% more miles promotion, ends at the end of june

My ritz carlton card (marriott stays, plus I always carry it cause JPM Priority Services is dope) - Got it for 140k points, waived AF, $600 in airline gift cads (total keeper imo)

Citi Prestige Card - Used most of this years benefits already, but good for 4th night free at hotels (which I'm using on my upcoming germany trip), $250 airline credit (used), 50k signup bonus (used), waived AF

Citi Forward Card (Discontinued) - 5 points per dollar on amazon, restauants, "entertainment" netting me 8% back on those categories if used for redemption against AA/US purchases (courtesy of my citi prestige card) - Unbeatable in my opinion

Amex PRG (Will cancel this september) - Got this for signup bonus, carrying it now for the $100 airline incidental credit that was recently added. Used it on the place to DC, will also use it on flight to germany, for wifi and drinks and whatnot.

In my travel (desk) wallet (cards I don't always carry with me) I have

Walmart Mastercard (free TU fico score, free cash back at walmart stores)

Barclaycard Ring (no BT fee, 8% APR, $1 cash advance fee (for emergencies)

Bank of America Travel rewards card -

Cap1 Quicksilver - First credit card I ever got

Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa

Discover IT (Double cash back on all purchases for 1 year (still don't really use it though)

Barclaycard Arrival - 10,000 points product change bonus (got me $100 off my disney annual pass)

Ally Debit Card

Chase Slate - Free FICO score

Citigold Debit card (40,000 thank you point signup offer, worth ~$640 when used with citi prestige)

Citi Doublecash - $200 signup bonus

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa - 70k mariott point bonus

I switch these out as needed.

and not credit cards but I also have my priority pass card, loungeclub,card and disney annual pass

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    702rugbyref Platinum

WOW!! I need to get up to speed like you! Thanks for the information as I am sure many others will enjoy as well. Phil

• 3. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    702rugbyref Platinum

I just saw a 2 night stay with the Hyatt for sign-up. Thanks!

• 4. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, Jsucool76, that's a lot of cards!!

• 5. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    Jsucool76 Gold

That's 2 nights at ANY hyatt, anywhere in the world. No matter what category, cost or anything. Super valuable in my opinion.

Also, hyatt card won't get you automatic club level access, but hyatt allows you to use points to upgrade to club level, which marriott doesn't do.

muppetwrangler Yeah...credit cards are kind of my thing.

• 6. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    702rugbyref Platinum

I am sure they will have restrictions. I never looked at close enough ..yet!

• 7. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    Jsucool76 Gold

No restrictions on those. Just an expiration date (1 year from issue). Hotel can be $100/night or $1000/night and you can use your cert (if there is availability)

The annual free night certificate DOES have restrictions. category 1-4 properties.

• 8. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    702rugbyref Platinum

OUTSTANDING!!

• 9. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    Jsucool76 Gold

I was hoping this thread would get more action. I'm actually really interested in hearing what everyone else carries (Mainly so I can judge all of you )

• 10. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

You can judge me because I don't carry much:

Obligatory Marriott Rewards Visa - my primary card for everything since no FTF and points

USAA World MasterCard - Chip and PIN card as backup in case the previous doesn't work

I have several others I don't carry:

Amazon Rewards Visa - Use for all Amazon purchases and that's about it so I don't need to carry it

US Bank Club Carlson Visa - In case I ever stay at one of those. Will likely cancel this year since they did away with their redemption bonus thing.

BOA? - I think I have one, but don't remember why or if it's branded someway

I think I have a Citi or Amex HHonors card (maybe both). I'll probably look at cancelling that too or at least make sure they don't have annual fees.

Discover - Used to use it on the bonus categories. Not a lot of usage overseas.

• 11. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    Jsucool76 Gold

#JudgeJudy

Discover is offering double cashback on ALL purchases for 12 months, including bonus categories and shopdiscover (which is now discove deals). Can be 10% or more cashback in some categories. If you wanna show your discover card some use, call up and ask them to add that promo to your card

• 12. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    702rugbyref Platinum

Exactly why I have a Discover is for the bonus opportunities such as gas purchases 3%, etc.

Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?

Jsucool76Gold I like understanding why folks carry certain cards as there are so many and with the perks associated, maybe I 'need' to change my loyalty.

Location Brand Hotel
    credit cards bonus promotion
  • 13. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    curiousone Platinum

Obviously, Marriott Visa Premier for personal - my Go To card since I am a Marriott points junkie

Marriott Visa Signature Business for business purchases

Amex SPG personal - I can't believe how many years I paid cash at Costco. SPG points are awesome.

Amex SPG business

Citi Hilton Reserve - Marriot is not everywhere I travel and this card give automatic Gold status as long as I have it.

• 14. Re: What Credit Cards do you carry and why?
    muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Quick question.  I'm always leery about applying for a new card, thinking my credit score will take a big hit.  Does having all these cards, opening and closing accounts not wreak havoc with credit scores? 

1 2 3 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...