13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2015 8:49 AM by jt15550 RSS

When is "Regular Rate" not the normal process?

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife booked room at the Fairfield Inn Phily Airport for a stay in November. I saw a pending credit card charge for the full room rate plus tax. I reviewed the reservation and it stated "Saturday, November XX, 2015 - Sunday, November XX, 2015 (1 night , Regular rate, prepay in full ).

When the room is being booked it says "regular rate" with nothing stated about the prepay in full. If you click on "about this rate" it did mention  prepay. However, I never felt the need to click "about this rate" when I was booking a regular rate room.

I called Marriott customer care and was advised that all rooms(for my night) at this Hotel were regular rate, pre-pay in full. I was told it is always good to check "about this rate". I said I should not need to if booking a regular rate. I can cancel 24 hours before arrival and get my money back.

So Marriot is getting the float on the credit card payment.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When is "Regular Rate" not the normal process?
    Jsucool76 Gold

you don't need to check about this rate. right on top of the "book now" button on the final page of the booking process it will always tell you the main rules. for instance

"don't pay until you stay" or "rate is fully refundable until <time> on <date> <days>before arrival"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

#doublepost

despite what I just said, I would highly recommend always checking the rate rules. it's a good habit to get into. though prepay in full rates should (and usually are) listed as such.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

When you say "pending" on your statement, is that what the statement actually says? Does it affect your balance due yet? If not, then no money is being moved and no one gets the float.

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

The saga continues:

I cancelled the original reservation last Thursday and waited a full week to see the credit back to my credit card. Marriott Rewards automated customer service transferred me to reservations who tried to send me back to customer service. Pre 9 a.m. so the phone just rang. I called customer service after 9 am and they transferred me to the hotel. Person at front desk had no idea why was charged back in June and STARTED the credit refund process.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

jimaruba, looks like you were able to get somewhere with this, kinda.  However, if you are still having issues, we'd be happy to help.   You can send me a private message with your Rewards number, the dates of the stay you are referring to as well as your contact information.  I'll work with our team to provide support.

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

I received an e-mail that the credit was being issued. I will be sure to check my credit card on-line to be sure received.

So it is clear that there is nothing automatic that will give me a credit for a cancelled "regular rate,prepay in full" reservation. I wonder if I ever would have  received a credit if I did not call?

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

I received an e-mail that the credit was being issued. I will be sure to check my credit card on-line to be sure received.

So it is clear that there is nothing automatic that will give me a credit for a cancelled "regular rate,prepay in full" reservation. I wonder if I ever would have  received a credit if I did not call?

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

702rugbyref Platinum

Deceptive practice I beleive but I have been caught doing an advance purchase two times in order to get the lowest offered rate, one in Paris and the other in Vancouver and even though I plan to go, I would be out considerable money if I don't.

jt15550 Platinum

Incredibly annoying at best.  I didn't really pay attention to this until I got dinged for a few one-night stays coming up in two weeks.  Problem is, I can't really expense the stay with my employer until AFTER it happens, so for the moment I'm $400 out of pocket for the pending stays.  It's almost bit me several times since at checkout as I've made other reservations.  Had I clicked confirm to that 7-day stay in Amsterdam in Oct, the prepay would have had me eating hot dogs and Ramen noodles for two months.

I can see why Marriott would like cash today for a room tomorrow, but... there desperately needs to be a search and search preferences profile setting to filter these out.  The whole point of the day-before cancellation policy is that I can lock in the best room as soon as there's a chance I'm traveling and modify it as necessary once the details are solidified.

Again - ability to filter these out when searching, please.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...