15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2009 6:33 PM by ledcamera RSS

time for free internet in ALL MARRIOTT HOTELS

wheresthebeach Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Frown It is time ...2010 for all the hotels in the Marriott family to have free internet service.  It would be a great promotional feature to advertise and would help all their members.  Why can the Fairfields, Courtyards, Res Inn etc. have free internet and yet the full service hotels do not?  Doesn't make sense and surely would not be too difficult to switch over...especially the hotels in the U.S.  

• Re: time for free internet in ALL MARRIOTT HOTELS
    pltnmprincess Platinum

I totally agree!!

My corporate rates have internet access included, so I know it is possible for Marriott to offer the service for free.  Apparently the revenue stream generated is big enough that they dont want to let it go.

One of my big problems with their system is that they say it's 24 hours, but your service ends at noon. Most people do not check-in at 12:01 and check out al 11:59 so there is no way to get your 24 hours.  There are so many things Marriott could do to alleviate our discomfort in this area. 

Suggestions for Marriott:

If you are going to charge for 24 hours, then give 24 hours from the time the service is purchased.

Offer a cheaper hourly option - $5 for 3 hours or something along those lines.

Include free Internet for your elite members.

Offer free internet as an option for the amenity.

Offer a purchase-for-points option.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I discovered that some Courtyards will now charge for the Internet--might be a test program--and was dismayed at this reduction in terms and service!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

With over 30 million Marriott Rewards members, it ~is~ time for complimentary internet service for Elite and a discount for basic members.  At the end of the day, Marriott is a business.  Requiring a Marriott Rewards ID, a valid credit card on file, full contact information, acceptance of Terms of Service combined with an opt-in for other services protects the brand, guests, franchisees, travel partners, facilities and infrastructure. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

pltmpri -- I think you nailed the basic reason for not giving free internet at full service Marriotts.  "Apparently the revenue stream generated is big enough that they dont want to let it go."

But, I think your suggestion to offer free internet as an option for the amenity is a very reasonable solution.

Personally, I don't need or use the internet when I'm at a hotel, so the 500 pts are worth more to me than a $15 amenity.

ledcamera Platinum

Its absurd to pay almost $14.00 for internet that usually is not very good to begin with. 

"Its absurd to pay almost $14.00 for internet that usually is not very good to begin with."

So why pay it then if it's low quality anyway.  If you base your decision on where to stay on quality/price of internet service, there are plenty of other possibilities where the service is free and maybe better, both inside and outside of the Marriott chain.

egw019 Platinum
    Its like the old days when they charged a fee to make a phone call even an 800# or a credit card call. We were just in Vancover and the Marriott charged for wifi connect and the rennasance across the street had FREE internet conection in the lobby. The price of a drink and you were on line. They even helped you get on. Well we stayed for dinner,which was a wonderful meal and our hotel across the street lose revinue.

signofthefish Platinum

I heard Bill Marriott say it himself on Cavuto. The reason they charge for the internet at the premium hotels is no one has made an issue of it. So it's time for us to rise up and say ENOUGH! I agree; 2010 with free internet would make a great promotion. After all, we all know that travel is way down.

eyes_of_texas Platinum

For the first time I must disagree with posts stating that it is time for free internet in all Marriotts.  The time is not now, but rather two years ago when Marriott's competition began converting over to provide free internet access to their guests.  It further irks me (can I say "pisses me off"?) when a desk clerk "reminds" me that the service is free in the lobby and sometimes in the C. Lounge.  That's what I want to do - schlep my computer and paperwork to the lobby so that an hour or so of internet work doesn't have to show up on my expense report.  I'm also reminded that the price includes local and long distance phone calls - kind of the same way that my cell phone is set up.

jmring Platinum 5 Reviews

As a platinum elite who stays predominately at Marriott and Renaissance, I too am amazed that we still pay for internet access.  At a minimum, it should be free to gold and platinum members.  With over 125 stays this year, I have spent a significant sum on room rates at these properties, only to pay again for internet access.  What is most galling to me is that it is free at the low priced chains, like Fairfield, CY, Springhill, etc.

december31 Gold

We couln't agree with you more.  On our last trip we went to McDonalds located right next door to the Brussels Marriott to use the free wireless internet and across the street in Ghent also to McDonalds.  In Bruge we stayed at the Best Western and had free internet throughout the hotel.  What's up with Marriott?

Most recent stays at West Des Moines Marriott, Lake Mary (Orlando) Marriott, Orlando Airport Renaissance -- all have FREE internet.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

I hope it will be s short matter of time and the WI-FI will be free in all hotels.

vpplayer Platinum

LAX Renaissance has free internet.

As long as you have an odd numbered room (Facing south).

Overlooking the Sheraton Four Points.

Or so I am told.  I would never encourage such behavior.

ledcamera Platinum

Yes I agree  13.95 for a lousy connection

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...