9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2016 9:09 AM by 1sandlapper RSS

Galapagos Fees

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

HEADS UP!!

If you are travelling to the Islands, make sure you have American Dollars (CASH) for both the mainland departure airport and upon arrival on the islands. You have to pay a 'fee' (cash only - I think it was $20) to leave an airport in Ecuador and ALSO upon arrival (I seem to recall $100). You cannot pay both at one location as apparently the folks on the islands do not see the money collected on the mainland.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Galapagos Fees
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

I hear you, 702rugbyref. I ran into the same problem when I went to the Galapagos (and everywhere else in Ecuador)! Thanks for sharing with the Insiders family

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

30marine Gold 1 Reviews

702rugbyref:

Thank you for the information.

lifeontheroad Platinum

Excellent information! Thank you!

pointjunkie Platinum 2 Reviews

Apparently, that's not the only "south of the border' country that charges either an 'entrance' fee or an 'exit' fee. Costa Rica does too. In 2014, the 'exit' fee was $26 per person. Cash is the BEST! I got fooled (or didn't read the fine print on the signage). it showed you can use Visa, MC, Amex, etc., etc., etc. However, they run it as a CASH ADVANCE.

Needless to say, I'll know for next time.

702rugbyref Platinum

Thanks for adding pointjunkie. I had planned a Costa Rica trip in May but my youngest daughter had to cancel...bummer!

pointjunkie Platinum 2 Reviews

Doesn't mean you can't go and enjoy the beautiful country & culture.

702rugbyref Platinum

I sure enjoyed my trip there!

702rugbyref Platinum

I have a friend going on an organized tour from the USA and they are being charged $150.

1sandlapper Platinum

Thanks for the info.  Planning on going next summer and this his helpful.

Traveled to Costa Rica numerous times.  Best to pay the exit tax at airport upon entry, as many times it is a very long line and one would not want to miss flight due to being held up in the line.  This is in reference to San Jose's airport.

Liberia never has much of a line.   Also of note is that one can pay the exit tax at most hotels, but it will cost a few colones more.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...