12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2015 1:45 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

New Platinum member seeking advice and guidance

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone. I joined MR in late December with the MR Visa. Recently took the Platinum challenge and nailed it in 6 weeks so I am a newly minted Platinum MR member. SO what happens now? Any advice on do's/don'ts? Cheers to everyone! Phil

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
newbie Platinum
  • Re: New Platinum member seeking advice and guidance
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Congrats 702rugbyref on your Platinum Elite status. 

So what happens now is you should read up on the benefits Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions and see what works best for you regarding arrival gift points or gift certificates, properties where you have CL access and take advantage of that benefit.  You get 50% bonus points as well as learn what an "upgraded room" may be such as a better location on a higher floor, possibly a corner room, better view and not always meaning a "suite". 

Do always ask for a room upgrade when you get to the hotel. 

Do make sure you request a late check-out on the morning of departure if you want to stay longer.

Do make sure you get free breakfast coupons when the CL is closed or points if there is no CL.

Do call the designated Platinum telephone number when you require customer service.

And do enjoy your new status.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Love the pointers, IAHFLYR. Nice work.

Welcome to the platinum life, 702rugbyref!

Why thank you CariJ (as he takes a bow).

Rather not fill in the DO NOT's list as I find the DO list to be much better in the way of positive thinking.

702rugbyref Platinum

I am with you on the positive vibes...just wanting to avoid pitfalls that cost me in the long run.

702rugbyref Platinum

I read some comments that mention Platinum Premier and other levels..I am confused...isn't Platinum Elite the highest level or am I missing something? Please help! Cheers

There is a Platinum Premier however; it's by "Special Invitation" only!!!! Meaning you are the top of the top in loyalty to Marriott or so they say.  Similar to what United has called Global Service, an elite level offered to something like 1% of all MileagePlus members who either spend the most on tickets and/or fly huge number of miles each year.  It's well above their 1K level and having flown for years and previously been a 1K for many years I will tell you I would not want to be even close to consideration for Global Service.  You spend waaaaaaaaaaaay to many hours flying or being in a Marriott bed each year for my liking and I love traveling.

jmanrunner Platinum

I was never asked by Marriott to be Platinum Premier.  I reached Platinum Premier last year by getting 100+ elite qualifying nights.  I either stayed 100 nights or had a combination of stays plus used the Marriott credit card.  Platinum = 75-99 nights.  Platinum Premier = 100+ nights.  I will hit the same level this year in just a couple more nights.  There is a good chance I will make it to 100 stayed nights this year too but the credit card helps. 

Current Level as of June 2015: Platinum

• Nights stayed 50
                • Bonus nights 48
                  • Promotional:0
                  • Rewards Credit Card:10
                  • Rewarding Events:0
                  • 2014 rollover:38
                • 2015 total: 98

The "Special Invitation" comment is due to the fact that everyone who surpasses 100 nights etc., doesn't get that offer from Marriott or at least didn't used to get offered.  The way I've been explained there are a few categories you must fill in the boxes of such as revenue spending as well as numbers of nights and probably extended period of loyalty displayed, but again that may have changed.

702rugbyref Platinum

At my current rate, I will have about 60 nights by the end of June so I should surpass the 100 night threshold (with ease)...I guess I will advise if it happens to me since I have only been a MR member for just over 6 months. I also have something like 20 nights carried over too I think.

702rugbyref Platinum

thanks guys...I guess I hope I never achieve it! LOL

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

For the most part, you won't see a huge difference moving from Gold to Platinum. Upgrades might come a little more often and there is the additional points earning power.

If you are member of United's MileagePlus program, you'll get automatic Silver status. If you aren't, sign up and link your accounts. You can check the benefits on the United website. United Silver status will also give you Five Star status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program if you sign up for that.

These days with the partnership arrangements, reaching Platinum not only gives you benefits with Marriott, but a couple other companies as well. It's always worth knowing about these things even if you only use them rarely.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...