29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2015 5:51 AM by kharada46 RSS

Farewell - Off to Japan!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Insiders,

I’ve had a wonderful time interacting and helping everyone out here on Insiders. Y’all are a fun bunch, and have so many great perspectives to offer.

I’m excited to announce that I’m embarking on a new adventure to teach English in Japan for a year! In order to make my overseas move this summer, I will no longer be an Insiders moderator after June 30th. Since there are many avid travelers here on the forum, does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit, things to do, restaurants, etc. in Japan? I also would like to visit one or more of the surrounding countries, like China and South Korea. All recommendations, perspectives and insights are welcome!

Please note that joshm lindseyh and KatieC are all still here to help with anything Marriott or Marriott Rewards. Always feel free to reach out to them.

Here’s a big virtual hug to the Insiders family!

Cari

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Manila, Philippines Marriott Hotels & Resorts Manila Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Farewell - Off to Japan!
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry to see you go, CariJ, but it sounds like a great opportunity. Enjoy and hope you join up as a civvy and keep us up to date on your big adventure!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks brightlybob, I will absolutely keep you guys updated!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Sorry to see you go CariJ!  But I think you'll have a lot of fun on your new adventure!  Many of my friends have done JET and similar programs in Japan and in-fact, have a friend that lives full time in Japan (since his wife is a Japanese national) and teaches english at an elementary school in Hokkaido.  I'd love to share some more info with you and will write again when I get home tonight.

I'll talk to my mom too since she goes to Japan about 2-3 times a year for family.  Any preferences?

OH and here's my Japan album from almost 6 years ago! Japan

Wow, those photos are absolutely incredible kharada46! Makes me very excited to see it all in person. How did you like Tokyo DisneySea? Have you visited Japan more than once?

Thank you for sharing your insights! I would love to hear of about any of your or your mom's personal recommendations and/or experiences - it would be much appreciated. I will be going via the JET Programme as well. Since I will be there for at least a year, I'm interested in traveling all over the country (though I will be living in Akita prefecture). I'm looking for any tips on sightseeing, natural landscapes/scenery, shopping, etc.

Thanks CariJ!  Japan is an incredible country with much to see.  I've been there only twice, the last time being 6 years ago.  While I've only seen a small portion, I've kind of prioritizing traveling to other places that I haven't been to before and exploring my home state in depth too

I've been to Tokyo DisneySea and it's interesting!  But we didn't ride much because the lines were ridiculous, especially for the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride.  Do try the giant gyozas they sell and are known for there!  I think I remember having a pretty nice crab pasta meal set for about $10 US at the time. 

I've never been to Akita (really only been to the greater Tokyo area and Hamamatsu), but it does have a direct link to Tokyo via the Akita Shinkansen.  These trains are the best way to get around the country and it'll be relatively easy to get around using the rail system. 

More to come!

Hahaha, advice taken kharada46. I will avoid the giant gyozas there.

I'm so thankful that the train goes from Tokyo to Akita, because it's normally a 7+ hour car ride!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Best of luck to you in your future endeavor!  Sounds like a wonderful adventure and life experience!!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Wishing you all the best in your new undertaking, CariJ. Farewell.

"The dreaded farewell is the one inevitable remainder at the end of your travel equation. Alas, such is the bittersweet lifestyle of those who are constantly in motion." -- Natalie Grant

Wonderful quote, foxglove! Thank you

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

We'll miss you, Cari!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Best of Luck to you CariJ!! 

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

All the best in this new path you are embarking on. My daughter did two 1-year teaching stints in South Korea. She used this as her jumping off point to visit a good portion of South East Asia. It is much cheaper to book and fly between countries. I had the privilege of visiting her 3 times and just scratched the surface of the huge city of Seoul. Our biggest adventure was going up to the DMZ and having the tour of their facilities. My daughter even went into North Korea for a weekend hiking trip with her fellow teachers....they have quite the stories to share about that adventure. You have so many countries at your doorstep when you are in Japan and I hope you get a chance to visit and enjoy them all.

That's great to hear, Guidedog613. What did you think about Seoul? I've seen pics and it looks like a beautiful, dynamic city. I would love to visit, and it's just a short plane ride away from where I will be living in Japan.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

HAve a great time and enjoy Japan

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

post.gif

Oh no! Sorry to see that the site is still giving you trouble. NathalieF is still working on a fix for this!

I checked out your album and all of those places look marvelous! How long did you live in Japan? There is so much to do so those visuals will definitely help me prioritize where to go when I head on down to southern Japan. Thank you so much

Technology won't hold me back!   You're welcome.  I lived on Okinawa plus did intermittent work assignments in Iwakuni from 1981-1985.  It was a great experience.  I honed vocational skills, visited new places, studied a new language, developed an interest in new activities - scuba and snorkeling, and made cross cultural friendships.  I wish I would've documented more places and activities.  Now, in planning to return, looking for places like where I lived and places I remember going, I am having to do a lot of guess work and in some cases, am coming up empty.    And it was a long time ago, and things change, they don't always look or stay the same.  Nowadays, Google Maps is such a gift.  I wish I had had it back then.  Document everything!

It would be great if at some time you would post a blog and photo album here on Insiders of your Japan travels.  We would love it!

Wow, that sounds like a great experience pluto77! I will absolutely compile some photos

Jsucool76 Gold

Best of luck in Japan! I'm jealous.

AWphotography Member

Best of luck! My younger brother studied in Japan before heading over to teach in China. Try and head over to the Philippines when you're in Japan. Lots and lots of fun!

Location Brand Hotel
    Manila, Philippines Marriott Hotels & Resorts Manila Marriott Hotel

Thanks, AWphotography! Philippines is definitely on my list... I'm thinking a nice warm, December vacation

CariJ, sorry I haven't been posting info!  When are you leaving us?  DM me with your e-mail address just in case!

My last day as a moderator is June 30th. But I'll still have an Insiders account! I leave for Japan on August 1.

Wow pretty soon CariJ!  Glad you're staying on!  *phew* takes some pressure off

Anyhow, a little more random tidbits for ya:

• Niigata is the rice capital of Japan and thus great sake also comes from Niigata.  Area is good for skiing during the winter too
        • Hokkaido is known for it's dairy and great skiing during the winter too.  If you can find it, buy some Sakura Cheese from Hokkaido.  They only release it a certain time of the year (forget when) but it's amazing.  It's like a brie but not
        • Osaka is a merchant town and a little more rough around the edges than Tokyo (people aren't so popular etc) but it's definitely a place for great food. 
        • Airfare to places like Korea and Hong Kong can be gotten dirt cheap, even from mainline carriers like Japan Air (Oneworld) and ANA (Star Alliance) so get out of the country and explore! 
        • Okinawa is like Hawaii, but way more humid and full of Okinawan people of course.  Just don't ever call them Japanese!  They aren't.  Neither are the native people of Hokkaido, the Ainu, which have more in common with Native Americans

Thanks so much for sharing these tips, kharada46! I will definitely revisit this post once I'm in Japan and am itching to explore Haha love the tip for Okinawa. I'll keep that in mind!

Alright, I'm jetting off to New Zealand tomorrow so I may drop off the radar for a little bit. Thanks again for all of your insights, and I'll keep you and the other Insiders posted on Japan.

Bon Voyage, CariJ.  Enjoy your journey and thanks for taking such good care of us Insiders!

Safe & happy travels CariJ!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...