8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2016 2:57 PM by notorious-5150 RSS

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes - Resort or Hotel?

tjb42 Gold 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone stayed here recently and can confirm whether or not breakfast would be provided as a gold member?  As I understand it the property used to be a resort and is now considered a hotel, however as it was explained to me, only platinum members receive free breakfast at this location, which is not in line with Marriott Rewards Policy if it is indeed a hotel. Can anyone clarify?  Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Tempe, Arizona, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
  • Re: Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes - Resort or Hotel?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

We stayed two weekends ago.  We were provided with the free breakfast buffet (and only the breakfast buffet - anything else on the menu had to be purchased) on Sat. and Sun. morning.  There was no resort fee and they only charge $10/day for parking. 

I just called them.  They confirmed that the free breakfast is only for Platinum members.  I do not know how they are able to get away with this.  There is nothing in the benefit terms anywhere that expressly excludes Gold members from lounge or free breakfast privileges.  Gold expressly has the same breakfast benefit as Platinum at all properties where benefits are provided.  I have seen this at other properties as well.  When my sister stayed at the Boscolo Roma in 2012, as a Gold member, she was not entitled to the free breakfast.  The only way that I can see that The Buttes is getting around this is that they in fact are a resort (resorts are excluded from the free breakfast benefit) or are claiming to be a resort and are 1) graciously not charging a resort fee and 2) graciously offering a non-obligated benefit to Platinum members.  It does expressly refer to itself as a resort on the hotel website.  This no love for Golds at The Buttes needs to be updated on the FlyerTalk Master Thread regarding lounge access/weekend breakfast benefit at both domestic and international Marriott properties for Golds/Plats.

You might want to contact customer service to discuss further.

Maybe we should start a master list of properties where Golds are excluded from the breakfast benefit.  This would certainly be good to know.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Great question, tjb42. I am passing your question on to our team to get some clarification. Stay tuned!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I stayed at The Buttes back in Fall 2013 for one week while taking a class for work at the nearby Gateway Community College.  At least then the property was considered a resort so they did not have to offer a free breakfast to Gold/Plat members.  When I checked in I was given a choice for my Platinum Arrival Gift of 500 points or free breakfast buffet for each morning of my stay.  Well that was a no brainer.  The clerk gave me a coupon to use in the restaurant for each morning of my stay.

Despite some renovations taking place during my stay I really enjoyed my time at the property.  The staff was very friendly and welcoming.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey tjb42, sorry for the delay. Our team confirmed that this hotel is listed as a resort and therefore does not offer breakfast as an elite benefit. If they are offering breakfast to platinum members, that would be a special exception the hotel does on its own.

Jsucool76 Gold

I would love to know what it takes to be considered a resort as opposed to a regular hotel. I feel like in a few years every marriott property will be a "Resort" and won't need to give us any benefits.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Did any of you get your platinum arrival gift when staying here?  I did not get mine.  Now that I think of it, they did ask me at check in which arrival gift I would like, so they must provide it.  I feel like if I call customer support about it, I will be looked upon as a difficult customer (Whaaa, I didn't get my $5 worth of Marriott points! )

notorious-5150 Platinum

Not sure if you ever got a response - but I stayed their over the weekend and I was offered either 750 Points for free breakfast voucher for each night I was staying.  Picked the Points and charged the breakfast to my room so I could pay with my Marriott card to also earn points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...