17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2015 9:23 AM by NathalieF RSS

Top Ten Jobs If You  Love To Travel

istworldview Member
Currently Being Moderated

(10) Flight attendant

It may be the most obvious travel-related job, but it's also one of the most accessible: You don't need a specialized degree to become a flight attendant, and most major airlines only require prior customer service experience and a certification from the Federal Aviation Administration. The hours are frequently erratic, and the work isn't always easy, but you'll get a glimpse of hundreds of cities across the globe during your career. A bonus perk? Free or discounted flights for you and your family.

(9) International aid worker

If you want to travel for a living while making a real difference in people's lives, consider working for an international aid organization like USAID. With this job, you can visit struggling countries and help its residents recover from dire situations such as natural disasters and famine. You'll need a background in a field like health, agriculture or education and a strong interest in social work, according to How Stuff Works.

(8)Exploration geologist

Exploration geologists help resource extraction companies identify the most profitable places from which to extract natural resources. Since extraction tends to happen in places that aren't very well-populated, exploration geologists get to travel to some of the most remote regions of the world, and can be away from home for months at a time.

(7)Cruise line worker

Working on a cruise ship is a travel lover's dream gig: You quite literally make a living traveling the world, all while receiving free food and accommodations. Whether you're a restaurant server, a shop clerk or a performer in the cruise's entertainment lineup, there are opportunities for individuals of all backgrounds to work on one of these "floating resorts." Websites like Cruise Line Jobs list employment openings with some of the top-rated cruise lines.

(6)Travel tour guide

Imagine spending your days guiding fellow travel lovers through a bustling European metropolis, or perhaps a small local village is more your speed. Wherever you want to go, popular travel destinations are always in need of friendly, knowledgeable guides to lead tourists through city sights and cultural excursions. Study up on the history and culture of your city of choice, and don't forget to brush up on the local language!

(5)Archaeologist

Archaeologists travel the world to recover and preserve artifacts from past human cultures. Careers in archaeology require frequent travel, often to remote regions of the earth.

A benefit of speaking one of the world's most popular languages is that there are people all over the world who want to learn it. Teaching English in a foreign country is one of the easiest ways to get out and see the world. Many teaching positions in foreign countries do require a certification, but you can easily get one in about a month's time.

(3)Executive assistant

It may not be the most glamorous of jobs, but playing a behind-the-scenes role in the life of a corporate executive or other high-powered professional means you'll be right alongside your boss on his or her business trips. Since individuals in these positions travel quite frequently for important client meetings, you'll have plenty of opportunities to see new places while you work.

(2) Oceanographer

If you love traveling by sea and have a passion for learning more about it, then there is probably no better career for you than that of an oceanographer. Oceanographers often split their time between laboratories and research ships, where they can spend months away from home visiting remote regions of the ocean.

(1)  International Marriage Broker Tour Leader.

If you love to travel and are single this is absolutely the best job you can imagine.   International Marriage Brokers travels the world holding single events in some of the most beautiful places on earth.  Each week companies like A Foreign Affair travel to exotic locations in Eastern Europe, Asian and Latin America. Business men and professionals travel in groups where they will attend single events that A Foreign Affair call socials, at these social events the men will meet 500 to 1000 beautiful single women and models.   The tours consists  of social, dating and site seeing, all while interacting with dozens of men and women falling in love. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Top Ten Jobs If You  Love To Travel
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Bummer, I went oh-for-10....  Now I know what to do differently next time around!!!

p.s. curiosity is killing me: what was number 4???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I would've never guessed flight attendant or cruise line worker.  I sometimes get the impression that F/A's don't enjoy their work too terribly much.  And I've heard horror stories about what it's like to work on a cruise ship.

And I think that maybe the pair of you, ssindc and painedplatinum, have the perfect job (whatever it is that you do) for traveling, since you both travel for work so much.

ssindc, you once made a remark in passing regarding the Richelieu Salon in the Sorbonne (one of your business trips.)  I'll bet you didn't know that because of it, this past Spring I managed to secure a tour of the Sorbonne and hired a consecutive interpreter for it.  That place is not easy to get into.  The visit was absolutely incredible.  Stunning amount of history, art and architecture.  Unforgettable.  Wow.  So glad we were able to do that.

International Marriage Broker Tour Leader... Who knew?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto..hijacking your message to report spam, sorry...

NathalieF

CariJ

joshm

the spam is just starting on the main site...

ah pluto77, you nailed it - it is true I have had the opportunity to, more than once, "work" in Paris at the Sorbonne, once in the Richelieu Salon (which I understand is also known as the Salle Louis Liard) and once in the nearby Ampitheater Descartes.   Memorable indeed!

I would post photos, if the website weren't - broken!

OK, OK, it's not the Sorbonne, but the University of Nottingham is nothing to scoff at.

U of N (1).JPG

So, pluto77 what's wrong with the web page?  I posted a photo yesterday too...  Anyway, one more view from Nottingham:

U of N (8a).JPG

And, while we're on the topic, I keep waiting for Marriott to hire me as an international quality control consultant.  For a nominal fee, I'd be more than willing to visit hotels, sample rooms (and meals) and write reports/evaluations....  Personally, I think I'm extremely well qualified for the position!

error.gif

So if I type text, and then insert a photo, the inserted photo throws the error message in the screen shot, and then the photo is uploaded, but wipes out the typed text.  If I then add text below the photo and then try to insert another photo beneath it, the 2nd photo will wipe out everything above it.  So basically, I can only put one photo in a post with some text beneath it.  Not good.  What you have above?  Text, photo, text, photo, text - I cannot do.  I also cannot cut/paste into a reply.  I also cannot add more than one photo to a photo album.  NathalieF, do you have an ETA on when this might be fixed?

Anyway, nice shots of Nottingham!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks pluto, and sorry this is happening, I'm sure its frustrating. I'm working with my IT team daily and we're still trying to figure out the root of the problem, so unfortunately no ETA on when this will be fixed, but we are working on it!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

none of the above im a singer guitarist solo artist who travels the world mainly irish bars and clubs but its my dream job

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Being a diplomat is pretty awesome. Just saying...

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Sounds good to me, 7

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey istworldview, I LOVE this list. I'm curious to know if any of our Insiders fall into any of these categories. I gotta admit, #1 seems like a pretty cool gig. But if I had an ounce of musical talent, I would be following in the footsteps of doddsy69.

I also wanted to give you a warm welcome to Insiders! This forum is a great place to share experiences, perspectives, photos, and ask questions to a group of experienced travelers. Being new, feel free to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your Insiders experience. Always feel free to reach out to me (CariJ), lindseyh, orjoshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the Insiders site. We are the community managers of the forum and are here to help.

kinwi Gold

If you love to travel then being a consultant is an option as well.

Often times consultants travel Sunday - Thursday. Sometimes they aren't to very desirable locations, but sometimes you do get to take some amazing trips for months at a time.

The only downside is that you might end up in the middle of nowhere for months at a time, BUT you can really rack up the points and when you leave consulting, you've got rewards all over the place for dream vacations.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...