5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2016 8:16 AM by Frogs RSS

Platinum Status

zunilily46 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone explain to me the difference between regular Platinum, Platinum 5 Star, and Platinum Premium? What the benefits are of each if different. And what it takes to get Platinum 5 Star and Platinum Premium? We are pretty much Marriott people, Gold Level for a large part of the last 30 years, platinum for the last couple. We do sometimes stay at Starwood and boutique locations throughout Europe and were wondering if going after Platinum 5 Star and Platinum Premier is really worth it or even attainable.  We like to know our goals and strive to achieve them(maybe that is impossible as I read comments on the Platinum Premier issues). We don't see much difference between Gold and Platinum except for the arrival gift at a few locations. We are retired and travel about 4 months of the year. We pay for our own travel...no more corporate travel(Thank Goodness) and are trying to figure out if we need to change strategies to get more bang for our buck. Thanks in advance for any advise one can give.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Status
    rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

I am not sure but I've heard that Platinum 5 star is given to board of directors members,  Personally by Mr Marriott.  I'm pretty sure its not a status "earned" by nights stayed in a hotel. I have been told but could not verify that 5 star status allows for free stays at all Marriott hotels. Platinum Premier status which I have requires a lot of stays over a lot of years,  think 125 + nights a year for 3 to 5 years in a row minimum, I first attained the status after my fourth year of 150+ nights. It also has a spending component which is not fully understood as far as I can tell. Marriott has not released the requirements to get or keep this status, But refers to it as the top 3% of platinum customers . There are a lot of other postings about platinum premier. Only real difference I have noted between platinum and platinum premier is a few extra upgrades especially when out of USA. Apparently now Platinum Premier gets United Second Tier frequent flier status as well. In my opinion Marriott treats platinum guests very well and I've always been satisfied with the service.   Hope this helps    

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Looking into confirmation around this, zunilily46! Hold tight and I'll let you know what I learn.

chadken Platinum

Made it for 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PP after a year of just Platinum!! Hard earned 166 nights!!

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Wow ... enjoy it ... I didn't get PP status and I've been P for several years with well over 150 nights last year.  I figured  this time around I would.  Oh well ...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...