9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2015 11:32 PM by vaboywnder RSS

E-Certificate Suggestions?

ssm1984 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all, I've been lurking this site for a while, finally made an account and decided to take advantage   We live in DC and our July 4th plans fell through and now we're looking for a little "last minute" getaway of sorts.  Trying to save some $$ and my e-certificate expires on August 13th so thought I'd see if anyone here knows of any good Category 1-5 hotels outside of the DC area that I can use my e-cert for?  I think we're willing to look into NY, PA, RI, CT, VA since they're all reasonable distance.  Ideally we'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance of things to do.  So many caveats, I know But I figured no harm in asking

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: E-Certificate Suggestions?
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Woohoo! Welcome to Insiders, ssm1984. Since you already been poking around, you have likely found that this forum is a great place to share experiences, perspectives, photos, and ask questions to a group of savvy travelers. Being new, feel free to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your Insiders experience. Always feel free to reach out to me (CariJ), lindseyh, orjoshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the Insiders site. We are the community managers of the forum and are here to help.

I have not traveled in the DC area, but I know many of our Insiders have. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say on this topic.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Ya know if erc would come out of his winter nap (like some groundhog we know) he would be a very valuable resource.

rb84 Platinum

Have you been to Monticello? That's a July 4 kind of thing to do if your family has not visited. The Fairfield North in Charlottesville was a nice stay. I recall a fairly good sized outdoor pool.

bubbie Platinum 2 Reviews

Don't know if you have young kids, but we took ours to the Crayola Experience in Easton PA and stayed at the new wonderful Allentown Renaissance. Terrific hotel and only a category 4. Staff in lounge was top notch. Also visited a little car museum in Allentown. Can't remember the exact name.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

In addition to rb84's excellent July 4th suggestion of Monticello, James Monroe's home, Ash Lawn-Highland, is practically adjacent to Monticello. And James Madison's magnificent 2,600-acre estate, Montpelier, is only about 45 minutes away. We soaked up the history of all three over a couple of days. An unexpected treat (for me anyway) at Montpelier was the James Madison Landmark Forest, a 200-acre old-growth forest featuring oaks and yellow poplars between 200 and 300 years old. Love me some trees!

By the way, we were staying at the Residence Inn Waynesboro, VA, which is a category 5. Waynesboro's nestled at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains, so more trees!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

foxglove,

You will enjoy the Residence Inn in Waynesboro. The staff there is very friendly and welcoming! 

ssm1984 Silver

Thank you all for chiming in, truly appreciate it!! rb84 I actually have stayed at the Fairfield in Charlottesville haha.  We actually used our certificates there the past 2 times because it's just so convenient out of DC and Charlottesville is so wonderful!  That's actually what I would recommend right off the bat to anyone! Sadly we've been there too many times   foxglove - ooh Waynesboro sounds interesting! We've been to Crozet but it might be a nice change from our charlottesville stay    We'll definitely think about it!  Meanwhile, the search continues!  I really wish there were some Category 5 and under in Richmond or VA beach (that isn't insanely far from the beach). Sigh

jjofriends Gold 4 Reviews

The Courtyard in Williamsburg, VA is a go-to for my family when we visit the area (we actually lived in the Hampton Roads area when I was a kid). It's right next to Busch Gardens and close enough to Colonial WIlliamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, etc. if you're aiming for a bit of history. It's a cat 5 and we've had a number of good stays there over the years.

Virginia Beach is roughly an hour away barring bad traffic (Hampton Roads can have that, so timing is key) but might not be horrible if you do a day trip over there as part of the trip. We usually time our trip down, spend the day there, and then head to the hotel to check in, so we get a visit in while we're in the area.

Hope that helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...