Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2009 8:07 PM by jhaimowi RSS

Hilton Bonus Offer Rivals Megabonus

pltnmprincess Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hilton is offering a 25,000 point bonus after only 4 stays!  With 8 stays, another 25,000 points, and 12 stays gives you the maximum of 75,000 points.  This is strong competition for the MR megabonus which requires 25 nights.  There is also another option to earn double points.... See terms/conditions below:

25,000 bonus points after four stays
or Double Hilton HHonors® Base points

Register and stay at more than 3,300
Hilton Worldwide hotels through December 31, 2009.

Terms and Conditions:
Offer valid for stays completed between October 5 and December 31, 2009 at participating hotels. To participate, you must be a member of HHonors and register for the promotion at HiltonHHonors.com/PickOffer2009 prior to check-in. Guests not currently enrolled in the HHonors program may register at HiltonHHonors.com. Members may only select one of the two offers and offers cannot be combined. Maximum number of bonus points earned as part of the "25,000 Points after 4 Stays promotion" cannot exceed 75,000 bonus points. There is no limit to the Double Base Points promotion. Once the member has made a selection, the offer choice is final and cannot be changed. "Double Base points" means you will receive a bonus equal to the number of Base points earned during a stay. Bonus points earned on Base points do not count toward VIP tier qualification. Registered members must check-in and check-out between October 5 and December 31, 2009 to be eligible to receive bonus points. Offer cannot be combined with
other select promotional rates, bonus points and/or miles offers. Hilton HHonors® membership, earning of Points & Miles®, and redemption of points are subject to HHonors Terms and Conditions.

• Re: Hilton Bonus Offer Rivals Megabonus
    columbussig Platinum

Hey, there is no tie to Visa either! 

What a novel concept for business travelers who are forced to use American Express. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks--the last line is the worrisome one, however.  Have you found out which rates do not qualify? As you know most if not all Marriott commisionable rates are acceptable for credit.  If Hilton is excluding say the government rate, then it is less of a deal in my opinion.

There is a long list of rates that do not qualify:

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Not to be contrarian, the Hilton Bonus appears competitive, but considering what you can redeem for 25,000 points, Marriott offers a better value, IMO.

To illustrate, for 25,000 points it's possible to redeem a night at several Marriott Cat 5 oceanfront properties.  With Platinum you can receive a comp upgrade to oceanview. Not possible with Hilton for less than 30,000 points.

Given Hilton's recent downgrade effective Jan 2010, Marriott's Pointsavers schedule has even more value.  Redeem 4 Nights Get the 5th Night FREE.  Depending upon where you book, you can get the value of up to 40,000 points at Cat 8 with Marriott.

Marriott still offers a better return, IMO  Ironically, in an upset, Marriott lost the Freddie in Best Award Redemption to Hilton coming in 3rd place*.  With kudos to Marriott, now that the edict about No Blackout Dates is firmly embedded into the culture, there's increased room availability and it's become a lot easier to redeem.  Complaints were plentiful earlier, now it's the exception.

Anecdotally, earlier a number of Insiders have been trying to book the Grand Flora in Rome using points.  Calling this Cat 8 hotel direct seemed to work, anyone recall reading Insider feedback?

* Hilton Honors 1st in Awards

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones

Talk about the fine print or HTML? The list in and of itself is off-putting and as you aptly comment, "worrisome."

pltnmprincess Platinum

The key thing for me is that it only requires 4 - stays,  which could be as low as 4 nights.  Megabonus requires 20-25 nights.  If you look at the points you get vs. what you spend on the 25 nights, the ROI is huge.

If you make your reservations thru hotels.com, expedia, priceline, etc... those rates to do not qualify for this offer.  For those who book reservations online directly thru the hotel site - its a great bonus plan.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

4 nights for 25k pts does sound good on the surface, but what does that get you compared to Marriott.  Hilton has always had higher redemption requirements.  And, just speaking for me personally, of the two dozen or more US hilton family properties I've stayed in over the years, I can't think of a single one worth returning to.  BTW...are they smoke-free yet?  I'd like to see Marriott be a little more generous with some of its promos, but I'll stay with MR for now.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Your HH math is correct, Princess.

But for PLATs the MR unpublished megabonus is 50,000 bonus points for 25 total nights ---- and BTW --- that's through Jan 15.

And, let's not forget HH category creep.

Hard to beat.

pltnmprincess Platinum

Hi CountryJim,

I love numbers!!

4 nights = 25k pts

8 nights = 50K pts

12 nights = 75k pts

vs.

25 nights = 50K pts

half the nights, 50% more points!  If you spend $100/night to earn the bonus - $1200 for 75K pts vs. $2500 for 50k pts.

Even with the shorter duration to earn the bonus (it doesnt take as long to stay 8 or 12 nights as it does 25) and the redemption premium for Hilton, I think the numbers work in favor of Hilton.  Dont get me wrong, I have been a loyal platinum MR member for years, but I also love a good deal.  I hope Marriott considers matching this promotion in the future.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Marriott's Megabonus promotion has multiple flavors and multiple target segments.  The math on the 50K megabonus is best case.  The ROI for HHonors Bonus is even more compelling if you received a Megabonus promotion less than 50K.

jhaimowi Platinum

Have you stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village?  Nice...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...