23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2015 3:51 AM by kharada46 RSS

IATA Global Standard Carry On Guidelines

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today the IATA announced a global standard for carry on bags that will be adopted by 30 out of 40 member airlines (so far).  This promises to make traveling with your carry on much easier, especially when traveling abroad.  However, as is the case with any "good news" in the airlines industry, there's a catch... Maximum carry on bag sizes will be shrinking by half an inch.  That means your 22" carry on will no longer be allowed on as a carry on.  The new dimensions will be 21.5x13.5x7.5

How do you feel about this?  This global standard will particularly impact those like IAHFLYR that travel exclusively with a carry on.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/06/09/international-airline-body-adopts-new-stricter-carry-on-bag-guidelines/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: IATA Global Standard Carry On Guidelines
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Not sure why they clip a small portion from each dimension . I flew alegion once and they charge for bags in overhead space so guess what hardly any bags were in the overhead. The moral of this is people will avoid the cost if they can . Oh well i needed new luggage anyway

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl, me neither.  Though I presume it's to appease the European carriers with their ridiculous specifications for carry ons

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I'm sure the luggage manufacturers had a little say in it. They will definitely profit by forcing everyone to buy new bags.

Hah!  I wouldn't be surprised 7!  I know I'll need a new carry on if flying an airline that adopts these guidelines

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My larger carryon may no longer fit, but the smaller one (18" tall) which I usually take will be fine. Now we'll just have to see if/when the proposed standard is adopted.

Even with the old rules, people clearly brought on bags that were too large. If the old rules weren't enforced, why should we expect the new ones will be? It's like anything else. Most folks will try to adhere to rules and others will try to get around them.

I guess I better make sure I can fit all my stuff in my small carryon no matter the length of my trip.

Very true bejacob!  The problem will be exasperated now by those not wanting to buy a new to comply with the new rules

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It won't affect me, I'll start taking Greyhound.

This will be met with very very strong resistance for sure, unless of course your favorite airline will be purchasing these new carry on bags.  Guess those larger overhead bins are pointless now so expect a rash of redesigning them again.

joshm Member

Wow, an interesting story kharada46, and thanks for sharing!

The shrinkage of carry on limits by a 1/2 inch seems arbitrary to me. I'm not even sure of the dimensions of my carry-on, but the change doesn't seem like something that can quickly and accurately be measured.

Driving people to have to purchase new carry-on bags is an unfortunate outcome as well.

I'm intrigued to see how this plays out, from bag re-sizing to, as IAHFLYR points out, the redesigning of overhead bins.

joshm,

It is!  It really doesn't seem like a big deal, except for the fact that new carry on bags need to be purchased.  I fall into that camp so I'm not happy about this, but I do like the idea of a global standard so I don't have to check 3 or 4 different airlines to make sure my bag will meet each of their standards. 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

If it speeds up the boarding process I'm all for it.  One of the most frustrating things about air travel now is individuals bringing on larger luggage as carry on which slows down the boarding process because they then have to gate check their bag.

True vaboywnder.  I wonder if DL will wait to see how their valet carry on service plays out before considering the new IATA dimensions?  Only time will tell!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I am all for an international standard. 

Baggage allowances vary by (international) airlines, and it's frustrating to get to the baggage check-in counter on international flights, only to find that your international carrier plays by a different set of rules.  Having to adapt to those rules by making last minute adjustments in the airport and the ensuing eleventh hour stress of worrying about missing an international flight is no fun at all.  And if you smirk at the agents, they will smirk back by reminding you that as an American on one of their U.S. bound flights, you already get "special baggage allowance" privileges that no one else gets** (so, "kundly-shut-up-und-quit-your-vhining" ).  I have had to do this with Qantas (weight limit of 7kg in addition to bag size for carry-on, which is pretty small, especially considering how much an empty bag weighs to begin with).  While the small weight allowance was rigidly enforced, at least the agent was helpful and solution oriented.  I have also had to deal with weight issues with LH at FRA, because although my two bags fell within the total weight allowance, the weight between the bags was not distributed evenly (yes, I was pretty mad over that one, because not only did they make me rearrange and re-weigh my bags three times, the contempt in their voice when informing me that I was already receiving special baggage privileges did nothing to mitigate my frustration.)

**It's common to see on the baggage information webpages for international carriers a bolded clause "For U.S. flights only:".

Totally in agreement pluto77!  I can't believe LH would do that to you, seeing as they're supposed to be one of the better airlines out there service-wise.  I really can't stand/understand those low weight limits for carry on bags in Europe too... My laptop already weighs 5lbs... my camera gear?  Just as much... It's just about impossible!  I remember flying AB, for those segments I crammed everything I could into our checked bags just so I'd (barely) stay under the carry on weight limits.  And then, of course, their checking of your carry on weight was, well, inconsistent...

I wonder if this new system will do away with the weight limits? 

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I've never had any carry-on weighed (except one flight in The Philippines where they weighed you with your carry-on). But, just in case, I wear a Scottevest jacket that I can load all of my electronics (and more) into which would save a lot of weight in the actual carry-on bag.

Ah, 7, I'm guessing you were riding a little puddle jumper like a Cessna Grand Caravan?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes it would be better to have a world standard

Hey, that's not a puddle jumper it's an ocean lander at times!!!

Yep, the smaller airplanes need to do weight/balance so you are going to have to provide the gate agent with everything including your own weight.  I was in line last year headed to Scrub Island and the agent asked the lady in front of us her weight.....she quietly whispered into his ear 140 which really wasn't so quiet since we heard it.  When I got up to give him our information I looked and he wrote down 200 which was probably much more accurate. LOL

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Good to know.  I have Scrub Island on my radar.  I was noticing that little Saab 340 flight from SJU to EIS.  Maybe now is a good time to start working on those 18 lbs. that I've been needing to shed.

LOL....pluto77 the SF34 won't be an issue for any personal issues such as mentioned previously, but taking Cape Air (my favorite to Scrub) it will be as long as they are flying the wonderful fun C402 or Islander.  Hey, if they let her on you are gold.

Hah!  Or let's make it sound nicer IAHFLYR.  Surfer or street racer in Hawaii

It looks like the smaller carry-on issue is now dead in the water after DL, AA and UA didn't want to play. 

Delta Decries Smaller Carry-On Bag Standard - Which Is Then Withdrawn - TheStreet

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...