20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2015 3:38 PM by mtl_traveller RSS

Thurs-Sat Triple..Marriott, Renaissance, JW

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, I just did a first, for me anyway. I stayed at a Marriott on Thursday, then a Renaissance on Friday, and topped it off with a JW Marriott on Saturday. No, this wasn't some type of Gold/Platinum Challenge game. I'm in Malaysia for three weeks. My main hub is the Marriott in Putrajaya, about 15 miles south of Kuala Lumpur. Not much happening in Putrajaya, don't you know. So, to expand one's horizons, a trip north to KL is the way to go.

I hit up the JW last Saturday, excellent in every way. Unfortunately, the International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA) is holding their big night in Kuala Lumpur this weekend. The JW was sold out on Friday and barely squeezed me in for Saturday. The Renaissance had plenty of rooms for Friday, at a school holiday special rate mind you, so I booked.

I've racked up almost 1500 nights with Marriott, but this is the first set of three brands in three nights.  Can anybody match or beat that meaningless feat?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Putrajaya, Malaysia................................................Marriott
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
  • Re: Thurs-Sat Triple..Marriott, Renaissance, JW
    ramoneur Platinum

I did a similar thing at my last stay in Shanghai,

but I did it to rack up nights for a challenge;

wasn't even that much of a hassle;

check-out, taxi, check-in done within an hour;

new view and new scenery for 4 consecutive nights;

even got to see some hotel brand I would never have gone to before :-)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

1) Renaissance

2) Courtyard

3) Renaissance

4) Courtyard

...this was quite fun actually;

I am now planning to do more 1-day-hotel-hopping :-)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Two Triples and a Quad!!!

Both me and the missus love staying at different hotels and being a Plat at both Marriott (my main scheme) and IHG (my secondary one) I have a pile of points to spend on an itinerary that has oft altered, but now finalised does have lots of hotel changes. Our final itinerary sees us at 5 Holiday Inns, 3 Marriotts, 1 Holiday Inn Express, 1 Courtyard, and 1 Fairfield Inn, not forgetting a cabin in the Adirondacks too! Apart from the Fallsview suite which can't be redeemed and the Adirondacks cabin, the entire trip is on points, and as the Ottawa-Niagara bit is a Roadtrip with 4 teenagers, we've multiple rooms redeemed at Ottawa, Albany, NYC, DC and Selinsgrove. It's been very complex to plan!

We arrive in Canada mid July and have booked:

01. 4 nights at Holiday Inn Oakville, then;

02. 2 nights at Marriott Downtown Ottawa, then;

03. 2 nights in a cabin in the Adirondacks, then;

04. 1 night at Courtyard Albany, then;

05. 3 nights at Marriott Marquis Times Sq NYC, then;

06. 2 nights at Holiday Inn White House DC, then;

07. 1 night at Holiday Inn Express Selinsgrove, then;

08. 2 nights at Marriott Fallsview Niagara Falls, then;

09. 1 night at Holiday Inn Toronto-Mississauga, then;

10. 1 night at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown, then;

11. 3 nights at Holiday Inn Montreal Centre-Ville, then finally;

12. 5 nights at Fairfield Inn Oakville... Phew!

As a result we spend at least 3 consecutive nights at different accommodations 3 times during the trip, namely the last night at the Adirondack cabin followed by the Albany CY and then the next night at NYC Marriott Marquis. We also spend 3 consecutive nights at different hotels when we stay our last night at the Holiday Inn DC, a night at Holiday Inn Express Selinsgrove and then our first night at Marriott Fallsview. Finally we complete a 4-night consecutive run with our last night at the Marriott Fallsview Niagara followed by a night at Holiday Inn Toronto-Mississauga, chased up by a night at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown and finished off by our first night at the Holiday Inn Montreal Centre-Ville. We will, I think, be really looking forward to making ourselves at home for 5 whole consecutive nights at the Fairfield Inn Oakville for the final 5 nights of our holiday!

And one of the highlights? A planned meet up with bejacob at the Marriott Fallsview on Friday afternoon, 31st July... WooHoo!

Selinsgrove???? What happened to DuBois?  lol

That's one heck of a fast spot painedplatinum, I think you may know my itinerary as well as I do

The Selinsgrove Holiday Inn Express came up on recently released IHG Pointbreaks at only half the points of the DuBois FFI. And it's actually even better value as IHG points generally redeem at a lot less than MR points.

As a matter of fact this Roadtrip is costing 400kMR for $5,500 of Marriott rooms and 460kIHG for $4,500 of IHG rooms. This values MR redemptions at 1.4UScent/pt and IHG at 1UScent/pt.

Well done, Bob... The FFI in DuBois is one of the few in Pennsylvania that I have missed. When you had that on your original itinerary, I thought you'ld give us the lowdown in case needed as a future venue.  As far as the HIE in Selinsgrove....it was under construction the last time I was in the area.

Ssorry there'll be no report on the FFI DuBois, but I'll fill you in on the HIX Selinsgrove. None too interesting I suspect!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

brightlybob and bejacob,

You are in for a wonderful experience at The Marriott Fallsview at Niagara Falls!  Try to get the top floor, you will have a nice CL down the hall if you can.  Likewise, try to about a half hour away to Niagara on the Lake!  It is another wonderful place to experience during your stay.

Will look forward to reading and seeing about your trips!  Here's a few photo's you may enjoy:

IMG_2568.JPG

A view from the hotel room, with a rainbow!

IMG_2610.jpg

The quaint shopping and attractions in Niagara by the Sea are wonderful!

Enjoy!

Location Brand Hotel
      Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

We've booked a family suite which only go up to 9th floor so unless I get lucky with a connector upgrade, I'm unlikely to be anywhere near the top floor, but I live in hope! And the Exec lounge is open for our first night, so I'll certainly sample it's delights!

We're all looking forward to the vacation now, even the "whatever" teenagers are showing mild interest at the Times Square Marriott and the Niagara view.

And, yes, my missus is Canadian and insists we mustn't miss the Niagara-on-the-lake, a scenic relief from the tourist Mecca that is the Falls!

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

You may find just as many tourists in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, as are in the Falls, with parking often a problem.  Still, the plethora of gardens, flowers and quaint and unique shops are worth the crowds.  Be sure to take the parkway to Niagara on the Lake, as runs along the river, out to Lake Ontario, as it is beautiful and peaceful (vs the highway).  Lots of good restaurants as well.  I would recommend Zee's.  And if you have the time to see a play, there are plenty of theaters with top notch productions within the Shaw Festival.

Message was edited by: chautauquany

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Lovely photos and great tips, jerrycoin. Thanks for sharing!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

lindseyh,

Thank-you!

There are a lot more tips, from a host of contributors, if you can access previous posts on Niagara Falls!

Good luck.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Nope. Nothing so classy for me. I make a lot of one-night stays but most of the time I'm at a full service property one night and a CY or SHS the next.

However, if we're just taking about quantity of Marriott brand rather than quality, I can top you.

Three times during my county collecting trips I've done 4 brands in 4 nights (CY, SHS, Res, and FFI ), (Ren, CY, TPS, and SHS ), and (CY, Ren, SHS, and Marriott ).

Once I did 5 brands over 6 nights (Marriott, CY, SHS for 2 nights, Res, and FFI ).

Not sure that any of these are in the same league as Marriott, Renaissance, and JW.

I do have consecutive nights at a FFI followed by the JW Grand Rapids and The Henry (former RC now an Autograph) coming up later this month. Still not quite classy enough, but getting closer.

You win, bejacob!!  It wasn't about the tier of the hotel, I was just looking for the various brands. 4 in 4 nights beats 3 in 3 nights. Your 5 in 6 nights doesn't qualify, sorry..lol

702rugbyref Platinum

Trifecta as I would say in Vegas....

Two weeks ago, I stayed at Marriott, Renaissance and Springhill -back-to-back-to-back days plus two other Courtyards ...all in the same week. ..busy travel season.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I just completed 3 brands in 3 days. How about this trio? FFI, JW, and Autograph.

I had quite a shock (in a good way) going from FFI to a JW on consecutive nights. It's been over a year since my last FFI stay and while nothing was amiss, I now remember why I don't stay at the brand more often. As one would expect, everything is very basic at FFI.

Yeah, bejacob

Whats  in in a name, eh?

Well if those names are Fairfield Inn compared to JW Marriott, quite a lot, I'd imagine.

Though I do have to imagine as I've never stayed in a FFI and with IHG offering a PB and sister-in-laws next door neighbour offering us her house whilst she's in Florida, my planned FFI stays during our roadtrip are now off. Not too disppointed, mind!

ramoneur Platinum

I myself stayed a night at a JW Marriott in Shanghai just two days ago, just to try it out (they also had good price deal for that day);

I normally stay in the Renaissance;

The room was bigger and quite nice, and the hotel really looked "upscale";

...but somehow I didn't feel at home.

Guess I have grown too accustomed to the Renaissance.

Although the rooms are a bit smaller and the hotel a bit older, I am starting to see that it is really the personnel that makes the difference.

Every time I (re)visit the Renaissance, the personnel (front desk, bar, dinner room, etc.) genuinely seem to recognize me; I first thought that they keep a list with photos and names of the people planning to check in for that day, but I am starting to believe they really care (and I am a cynical man).

moreover, they are always just so nice and helpful that it's because of them that I really like to stay there.

mtl_traveller Platinum

Our 3 weeks summer vacation in August looks like this: Residence Inn Chester Va, JW Orlando, Marriott Marco Island (right after reopening!), Ritz Naples Golf, Marriott Heritage Club Hilton Head, Mayflower Autograph Washington D.C. 6 brands in 3 weeks, should be fun!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...