11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2015 10:05 AM by jerryl RSS

Poor Experience at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas

whalerlover Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have travelled to Las Vegas on business probably 20 times in the last ten years.  Since the Cosmopolitan opened, I usually have stayed there.  This last stay will be my last stay at the Cosmopolitan and I am writing a quick review so you can avoid the experience (if you so choose) I had when I stayed there last.  I booked 3 rooms for people from my company for 4 nights each.  All 3 of us had the same problems.  In past years, I have reserved 5 rooms for 5 nights.  This time, I reserved two at the Renaissance and 3 at the Cosmopolitan.

I am a Platinum Premier Member and have stayed at my fair share of Marriott hotels.  I have never before seen fit to post a negative review to this board.

When I arrived, I was given a relatively poor quality room.  (low floor, no balcony, small shower because it was an accessible room with a huge fold up bench taking up most of the space on one side and a massive spray shower faucet on the other).  I had asked for a higher floor at the desk, but I arrived late and figured I received one of the last rooms available.  I asked if I could perhaps change rooms the next day and was told I was welcome to come back and see if a room was available.

The surrounding rooms were packed with 20 somethings partying all night long.  Ok, I realize its Vegas.  But when selecting a nice hotel I hope that the relatively high prices will keep spring breakers from making my experience unbearable.  These weren't exactly spring breakers (being in their twenties) but the had the same habits, if larger budgets.  My floor had dozens of rooms with 4-6 adults sharing a room.  I saw Gaggles of folks following a person with a just turned 21 balloon.  I witnessed (from 430 am till 1100 am, three couples snorting cocaine of each other in the hotel below my room with what looked like two cases of champaign empty bottles surrounding the carnage.  If they hadn't been so loud that I couldn't sleep, I really wouldn't have cared.  The long and short of it is that the Cosmopolitan appears to enjoy and foster its reputation as a party hotel and it's walls are way to thin for a business visitor to get any rest.

I visited the office the next day at 10 and asked for a different room and was denied.  Apparently, the didn't have any.  This is in a hotel with probably a 1000 rooms.  I think this shows what they think of Marriott Rewards Members.  The next two nights were just as bad.  Again, the problem was not just limited to my floor.  Two of my companies employees had similar experiences.

When I checked out I told the clerk (at the desk that handles platinum members) I'd like to speak to a manager to explain neither I, nor any member of my company would be staying there in the future.  He asked what was wrong and I listed my concerns.  (1) Poor room, with no effort by the Hotel to find a better one.  (2) Its apparent desire to cater to a 20 something partying crowd that can only afford rooms when it bunks 4-6 people per room.  (3) Loud and disruptive partying and open drug use from dawn until 11 in the morning.  (4) obvious apathy for business travelers of some of Marriott's best customers.  He went to speak with a manager, and came back to tell me she was busy.  Could she call me later?  I said sure and left.  Sure enough, she called while I was on the plane home.  I was too busy to call her back.

On the positive side, my employees had a great experience at the Renaissance.  We rented a quite and held meetings there.  The staff was professional and the rooms were well tended.  If we stay at a Marriott property next time, it will be there.  Marriott really needs to have a luxury hotel in Vegas that caters to business visitors.  A JW would be nice.  I guess we will try the Oriental and Aria and see if they have been taken over by bachelor parties, 21 celebrators and other assorted boisterous coke snorters.  The Renaissance is great, but a bit dull for Vegas.  That is why I am disappointed the Cosmopolitan has evolved into what it has.

Tim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Autograph Collection The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Poor Experience at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Yikes! So sorry to hear this, whalerlover. That all sounds very frustrating. If you'd like, I'd be happy to have a member or our team reach out to you directly to discuss this further. Just shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and contact information.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jlbarone3 Platinum

I love the Cosmo for all the reasons you dislike it. Go figure.

annew20 Gold

We had a very nice room at the Cosmopolitan with a view of the Bellagio fountains.  The room itself was spacious with a large sitting area & the bathroom was spacious.   Whalerlover:  I can see what you mean that many people "shared" a room because it can fit at least 6 people comfortably in there!  The buffet at Wicked Spoon was very good.   It is a "happening place" & very crowded & loud for my tastes.  I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the Renaissance hotel.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

like i was told before being platinum doesnt make you god room upgrades only available when hotel is quiet occ rates are sky high at the moment stayed here before and love the place guess youve just  had one bad trip out of 20

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Stayed once at the Cosmo and was treated well but I don't think they valued the fact that I was a lifetime platinum and had stayed over 1000 nights. I am not clear the relationship the Cosmo has with marroitt but I won't expect as warm a welcome as staying at a full service marroitt

Jsucool76 Gold

cosmopolitan offers their own rewards program,and most likely values those guests over Marriott rewards members.

also, I'm a 20 something aand now I wanna stay at the cosmo XD

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

The Cosmo is a really awesome hotel.  It is very trendy, hip, modern and geared to the younger crowd that likes to party.  I was always treated very well there on my visits and on my last stay got upgraded to a wrap around terrace suite which was amazing.  It is definitely not geared towards the business traveler.  The Marquee Nightclub which is part of the Cosmo bothers some guests who can hear the loud noise all the way up till when the club closes at 5am.  Since I do like a quiet hotel room for sleeping I decided to stay nights when the night club was closed.  The club is open Mon, Fri, & Sat nights. 

A nice alternative to the Cosmo is The Grand Chateau (Marriott Vacation Club) which is in easy walking distance of the the Cosmo.  Nice large rooms and a very quiet hotel in comparison.  I stayed here on my last trip to Vegas last year as the Cosmo rates were too expensive at the time. 

missy8445 Platinum

I am a 20 something and loved the Cosmo! I got upgraded both times for being platinum and got a great view of the fountain. We even got free admission to the marque. Also the buffet is so good and is an awesome platinum arrival gift.

702rugbyref Platinum

Living here in Vegas, I enjoy this post, if for nothing else, to make me realize my stay-cation location will NOT include the Cosmo. I stay at the JW over in Summerlin and I will say their customer service has been the best after I brought a serious issue to their attention. I would recommend trying them out and you will be away from all the 21st birthday crowds! Cheers Phil

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Under the circumstances I think you handled it wrong. If you didn't get any satisfaction from the front desk the next morning, you shouldn't have waited until you checked out two days later to get your point across. You should have requested a face-to-face with the General Manager and if that couldn't have been arranged or met with your satisfaction, Marriott has a phone number (which escapes me now) for a Platinum liaison. I guarantee that if you followed those steps you would have been happier off.

And FWIW, I too love the Renaissance. The best part being its funky rooms and close-in parking.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...