14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2015 5:07 PM by jimaruba RSS

Spouse Use of Reward Membership

sooner Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I always travel together, but she is going on a trip by herself later this summer.  If I book the room through my rewards membership, can she use the benefits?  She is not a rewards member.  Thanks for your help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Spouse Use of Reward Membership
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

It is my understanding that the actual member must be staying at the property for the benefits to be in effect. Now the only way that wouldn't be the case is if you were able to check-in at the front desk yourself but weren't actually staying the night. Example: My in laws were in town for a baby shower for my wife and I. We had the shower at a Renaissance near us. As nice gesture I booked them a room for the night. I checked-in, then gave them the keys to the room. In that event the benefits do transfer over but because I physically checked in. In your case I am assuming the trip is far away from your home so you won't physically be there, so to answer your question no the benefits wouldn't take effect in your scenario.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

sooner,

I'm going to take it one step further than ks77.  I recently booked a stay for my sister (same last name still) with both her name and my name on the reservation.  She's an authorized user on my credit card to for emergencies when she travels abroad, so I just attached that card to the reservation.  When she checked in, she received all my benefits and was even asked if she'd like the points or the welcome gift.  I'm guessing they assumed I'd be joining her later, which I didn't since I was clear across the country in another state! 

I'm sure legitimate situations like this happen all the time.  For example, why wife and I recently went to the Big Island, but the first day was a work day for me so she flew in later that evening.  I checked in early in the morning and she arrived 12 hours later, but in that case it wouldn't matter since I am the rewards member, but it is a similar situation. 

I've done ks77's method before too though!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey sooner, great question! I believe ks77 is correct. Just to be 100% sure, I'm going to ask our team to clarify the policy.

Also, welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum! We encourage you to share experiences, perspectives, photos, and ask questions to our network of savvy travelers. Being new, feel free to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your experience. Always feel free to reach out to me (CariJ), lindseyh, orjoshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the Insiders site. We are the community managers of the forum and are here to help!

Hey sooner, our team confirmed that your wife would only be eligible for benefits if you are accompanying her. The program does allow for one guest traveling with the member to enjoy the member’s benefits, but only if the member accompanies them.

kinwi Gold

I have a similar, but not identical question.

Next year my husband and I are taking my family on a trip and we'll be paying for the rooms. I'm wondering, since we're the ones paying, can we use my Gold benefits and earn points on both rooms? (ours and my family).

As long as both rooms are in my name and I'm checking in, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Hey kinwi, I believe the answer is yes. However, just to be 100% certain, I'm going to reach out to our team to clarify. Stay tuned!

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I did this as a Platinum last year and while the hotel did allow the benefits for the second room, I did not recieve the night credit for that room ( did get points for the payment).  This may vary by location, but on that trip we had 3 different locations (all UK) and same result.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You will get points for up to 3 rooms but are only entitled to elite benefits (lounge access, welcome amenity, upgrade) on the one occupied by the Gold/Plat member. In reality hardly any hotels hold to those rules, except for a few meanies in USA, and here in the UK/EU I have found I've been offered and received points, upgrades, lounge access and platinum amenity for all rooms booked in my name, no matter how many.

NO need to worry, kinwi, there'll be no problems...

Hey kinwi, our team confirmed that you will earn points for both rooms (assuming you booked under a qualifying rate).

jlowery35242 Platinum 1 Reviews

Marriott should take a look and consider HILTON's "Joint Account" where wife shares the account now and if member passes on!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

when you go to the check in desk just say im not sure if my husband has checked us in yet if they say no they will assume hes arriving later job done sit back relax and enjoy lol

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

If I(Gold Elite) book a room with points,  I should call and add my wife's name to the reservation so that she can do what doddsy69 suggests before I arrive (or if she is solo because my plans change)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...