14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2015 6:05 PM by jester909 RSS

Wi-Fi expiring without warning

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This has always been a nuisance, IMO, but today it went beyond that.

I typically stay at a site for several weeks. As a Platinum I get free Wi-Fi. I log on to their network, enter my room number and name and then it grants me free Wi-Fi. For a week. But I stay longer than that.

So every week I have to log in and again and "buy" another free week of Wi-Fi. If I don't catch it, it will simply shut me down without warning. All of a sudden no web page will open and I'm unable to do anything.

Today I was in the middle of editing a large document on line when it decided it was time to shut me down. Fortunately when I got back in most of my work had been auto-saved. But while I was getting back in I was slightly less than happy. As the song goes, I used words I never heard in the Bible.

Why can't we get more than 1 week? The system knows how long my reservation is. Why can't it track that? Or at least give you a 2-minutes warning before it kicks you off?

One other irritant, while I'm at it. I use Chrome. If I turn on Chrome I cannot log in. I have to turn on Internet Explorer. Then it finds the billing page when I try to access the Internet. It won't do that with Chrome. After I log in I can use Chrome for a week. Then back to IE to log in and then back to Chrome.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wi-Fi expiring without warning
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

There you go, Johnny..let it out.....breathe, breathe.......lol

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

By the way, I use Chrome and have never had a problem logging in. Is it that hotel specific?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Am not sure wifi is managed by marroitt if it is it could be comtrolled at checkin to give you service for the length of your stay

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Am not sure wifi is managed by marroitt if it is it could be comtrolled at checkin to give you service for the length of your stay

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Yikes! I think this is really valuable feedback, thanks for sharing. I would love to pass this on to our team. Could you send me a DM with the property you were staying at and any additional details?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

When I was frequenting Marriott venues, this used to happen to me all the time and it was UGLY, as at the time, the granted "free period" was for only 24 hours. So if the first morning I logged in at 6:30 AM and the next morning booted my laptop and accessed the internet at 6:15 AM, after 15 minutes, I would get disconnected because the system would have me at 23:45 HH:mm of usage from the previous authorization. In other words, I could not reset the clock manually because I happen to log on to the WiFi 15 minutes sooner on day 2.

I asked the GM if there was anything the venue could do as I had already been there four months and planned another 12 months. He said that the WiFi service for his hotel was subcontracted through a local ISP and that the ISP required that a 24-hour period be established as a best way to "count" the number of users the hotel. In other words, "user-days" were calculated which affected the contract terms between the hotel and ISP. Their contract was a combination of "user-days" and bits pass-through and was tiered on its pricing, thus making it necessary to count logins.

I will give the GM kudos in this respect - he had his WiFi technician speak with me since I was going to be there for another year. The techie granted my laptop IP address special connection privileges to where I by-passed the daily login AND gave me priority streaming over the other guests.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I used to have a problem at PHL Airport Marriott logging onto the internet period.  It was something to do with my government laptop and a security update along with this property servers, yet three hours earlier I was connected just fine at the property I was at the previous night.

Much like pingreeman mentions, I talked with the Manager on duty and since I stayed at the hotel about 12 times a year he connected me with Ibahn who did much the same, granted my laptop a special address where it by-passed the login process.

Not saying this solves the issue, but if enough folks complain (rant like Johnny did ) maybe just maybe Marriott will realize there are ways to alert the customer to the pending disconnect.

psellers Platinum

That's a reasonable request. Just give me a 10 minute warning.

I'll talk to the GM. Thanks. It's also iBahn that they use here. It might not work because after I log in I then hook up my own wi-fi router so that my laptop, notepad, wife's 2 laptops and both our phones get a better signal (and much faster as I have an N-router) so an individual IP address might not cut it. But I'll certainly try.

Follow up. Talked to the manager last night. He sent a tech to my room to go over all of my devices (6 in all) to get the MAC codes so they could sort it out with their provider. Provider had a better idea. I was given a passcode (normally I don't need it because my internet is free due to my status) that never expires. Logged it in. If you don't hear me cussing a week from now that means it worked.

jmanrunner Platinum

This is a frustration for me too. I am the kind of geek that opens about 30 browser tabs for items I want to get back to later when killing time or unwinding at the end of the day. However, many websites refresh their pages in the background and if the browser is open when the login timeout happens the browser tabs refresh to the portal login screen. In this case, I can usually login and then hit the back button to get back to the page I was on.

What is worse though is if I close the browser with 30 tabs and open it after the login timeout expires. All the links are redirected to the portal and I am unable to use the back button because the browser thinks the redirected page is now the first page I was on. FML.

Lazy browsing habits do not work well with the hotel portals....

702rugbyref Platinum

Constant problem. Even when you get two days, it never goes the full timen (upon check-out as an example). Frustrating at times for sure.

mybnj Platinum 10 Reviews

This happens to me often.  I usually just re-enter my credentials and im back on.  I usually purchase for the week, even when staying just a night.

jester909 Platinum 7 Reviews

This happened to me a few times at the Residence Inn Santa Calrita, CA and at the Marriott in Cedar Rapids, IW. BUt I've been at the Residence Inn Richardson Dallas for 3 weeks now and I have het to have the internet "turn off" thankfully. But What I'm seeing now I do not like.

It appears as if Marriott or maybe just this location has gone to a new internet provider in the rooms. When I first logged in I noticed that there was a redirect but it was too fast for me to see where it was going before I came to the normal buy screen that I'm use to. BUT that being said at least 3-4 times a day for the past week when I try to go to a internet page I get a Warning page that states that "

This webpage has a redirect loop

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"

When I click for more information I get this. "

The webpage at http://p2285.superclick.com/superclick/recurring.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnetflix.com%2Fbrowse#NA has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

It's always the http://p2285.superclick.com/superclick/recurring.php? url that pops up. This happened even after I cleared my cookies like the page suggested.

I did google the website and it appears to be a monitoring and network management type of site. So I guess my question is. Is this something new at Marriott? And if so is Marriott tracking my internet usage and monitoring sites that I go to? Are they data mining? Are my accounts safe? I know this seems a little bit strange, but with all the data breaches in the last year alone it makes one wonder.

MH

Capture2.PNG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...