6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2015 5:41 PM by brightlybob RSS

As a loyal Marriott supporter, I expect the loyalty in return and I am NOT feeling it!

redqueen68 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

For the last several years, my job has required me to travel overnight a minimum of 2 to 3 nights a week. About a month ago, I took a new position and amped up the travel. I did go for about six months with little travel but since I am back at it, I seem to never be upgraded, never greeted like a Platinum member, and have frequently become the QC for maintenance and housekeeping. Frankly, its exhausting. I joined Hilton's points program this morning and even though I haven't booked a stay yet, I understand they have a "matching" program where they will respect the status I currently have.

If I'm just going to be like any other guest, I might as well have status at more than one hotel chain. Frankly, I am just not feeling the respect I should considering how much time I've spent in Marriott properties. Anyone else feeling this way?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: As a loyal Marriott supporter, I expect the loyalty in return and I am NOT feeling it!
    barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

..., redqueen68, if your time and interest permits read here and on public travel sites for an answer. How dare mean ole traveling folk think they are going to get some type of across the board standards when it comes to housekeeping, maintenance and upkeep. I guess the "new" standard is that you must ask for things to be cleaned and maintained. All the best to you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: As a loyal Marriott supporter, I expect the loyalty in return and I am NOT feeling it!
    joshm Member

redqueen68,

First, allow me to welcome you to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum.

You've come to the right place to share your thoughts in this post. The Insider forum is place for you to ask questions, seek insights and recommendations, get questions answered, or share perspectives with a network of well-traveled and knowledgeable folks who are always happy to engage in fruitful and constructive conversation.

I'd be happy to connect you to a member of the Marriott team in order to discuss your post, and address any concerns you may have. If this is something you would like to do, don't hesitate to send me a direct message with your Rewards number and a way to contact you to get started.

Additionally, feel free to reach out to me (joshm), CariJ, or lindseyh at any time for help. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we're here for you and the rest of the Insiders community!

Jsucool76 Gold

hilton will offer you a challenge but most likely not match you. heads up. simple challenge, 4 stays in 90 days for gold status. might offer you a diamond challenge.

there's some links around to get auto silver status with a challenge for gold with 4 stays in 90 days.

also, sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I haven't had to many but it's upsetting to know some places just don't care about status.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

While it certainly doesn't hurt to have status at more than one chain a challenge or match would be the smartest route. The only points I would warn you is that with Hilton their redemption points needed for award stays are sometimes insane. All hotel programs have devalued programs and points over the years but Hilton really requires lots of points for award stays.

As far as not getting the recognition you feel you deserve, that stinks. Everyone likes to feel valued and you should be. My only comment there is that every property is different. In my experience I usually am recognized at check-in. I usually receive a decent room or an upgraded room.

Just my opinion, but as far as hotel chains are concerned. If I was going to go for status at a second chain I would go for SPG. Their properties are often very nice, modern, and I find the service is usually quite good. Yes they have a smaller footprint, but if you reach Platinum at SPG you really get treated well. Also, SPG points are very valuable.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

If you're not feelin' the love at Marriott then definitely give Hilton a try.

Inconsistency of elite recognition is however a frequent complaint felt right across the big groups - Hilton, IHG, Marriott and SPG. Look in on Flyertalk, it's a constant refrain across the board. Well almost. If you can do 60 nights at IHG hotels, 20 of which must be Intercontinental nights over at least 3 seperate locations AND pony up $200 you could be a Royal Ambassador AND that does seem to mean a lot, as there are real guaranteed upgrades that are respected, though only at Intercontinental hotels (ie 200 of IHGs 4,000+ properties).

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Fact is, I expect we'll see less and less interest in loyalty by the hotel chains.  Why?  The industry is having a really good year (best in a very long time).

Just look at other benefits Marriott folks have lost:

- Seasonal awards are gone

- Pointsavers are going (at least in the US)

- Points required to stay have gone way up

Also there's the fact that the majority of Marriott hotels are not actually owned by Marriott ... they're owned and operated by independent management groups who pay for the right to use the Marriott name.  Theoretically Marriott would make sure that these management groups effectively implemented policies & procedures to keep guests happy, but you know how that goes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...