21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2015 4:48 PM by christianas RSS

Picking your exact room on the app

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott Voice sent me a survey the other day where the focus was using the Marriott app to select your exact room at a property. It asked questions about functionality and ease of use and design. A guest would make a reservation for say a king bed but they would then be able to choose what floor they want and in addition to the floor, the actual floor plan of each floor of the property would populate right on the app! It seems very cool. I was asked about the concept of this a year or so ago (and I voted favorably), and it seems like they are running with it. I don't know if they will ultimately implement it but my guess is they will. What better service for a hotel to be able to brag about than to say they offer guests the ability to choose the exact room you want? Obviously something like this generates a million questions, like how will upgrades be processed, what about group bookings, blacked out rooms, etc...but this seems pretty cool to me. What does everyone think of a feature like that?

IAHFLYR, vaboywnder, brightlybob, painedplatinum erc

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Picking your exact room on the app
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Outstanding news to read.

When you check-in with Hilton you are offered a chance to select your room in much the same fashion as you explained, I LOVE IT!!  Have yet to get another room assigned when we arrived at the property which is very nice.

Sign me up as one who will use it each time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I like it, too. It would be especially useful when booking at a Marriott property you have been to multiple times and you know the room that you really like. It will be interesting to see where this leads.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'd be interested especially if the option to upgrade is included. In general the current mobile check-in is pretty smooth. This would be a nice enhancement.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm all for it and agree with bejacob that it would be extra sweet if Gold/Plat members have the option to upgrade to a nicer room.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

although this sounds nice, i would rather just have the hotel assign the room or ask for a room that you want at check in.  depending on how early you are given the choice to pick rooms, its either the good rooms are going to be already taken by someone who booked before you or the day off, its going to turn into a cyber Monday with people waiting for rooms to open up and pick the best ones.

Jsucool76 Gold

I just used this function on the hilton app this past weekend. My first time ever using it and I thought it was great. Rolled up at the desk, they gave me the exact (corner room) I selected. Didn't ask for my ID, my CC, AAA card, or anything. Just handed me my keys and I was on my way.

I'd love the option of selecting my own room with marriott, and even better would be the introduction of something like SeatGuru for hotels. Telling you the best rooms in the hotel, with what views, actual size, and whatnot.

Exactly how it has worked for me with Hilton, and I believe it is available 24 hours ahead when you check-in if I remember correctly.

curiousone Platinum

I used that function on the Hilton app when I was checking into a Hilton Garden Inn in Gallup NM. I made sure my room was on the side of the building away from the railroad tracks. Very convenient. Marriott needs to incorporate this feature. Hopefully it will know your status and provide better rooms to Gold and Plat.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'd certainly give it a go, although I'd be concerned about losing my upgrades, which here in the EU are a very common experience. Bearing in mind the upgrade policy is "on checkin" and I would be using the app to do that, I would hope that the all available rooms would show up to elites.

LAst year I was asked to participate in a Marriott survey which was clearly considering a premium credit card for the UK. I answered positively but nothing came of it and I would be surprised now if anything does. This however seems to complete the online checkin app, indeed without the function the app seems to be worth little. With it, the app becomes very much more interesting...

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree; my one concern would also be the chance for an upgrade to a better room.  It is one of the things that have prevented me from checking in on the app now.  If you could show me (highlight) upgraded rooms that are available based upon my MR Status, then that would be awesome!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You can still get upgrades when using the app to do a mobile check-in. It usually involves having the new room assigned and new keys made, which does sort of defeat the purpose of mobile check-in. I've found that even with an upgrade, I'm usually off to my room faster than I would have been if I waited to check in upon arrival. Whether upgrades happen more or less frequently, I can't guess.

It would be nice to know which rooms are considered upgrades. Suites are easy, but sometimes it's a corner room or one with a better view. Highlighting that is a good idea.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I think it's a great idea.

ftcova Platinum

The Hilton system seems to work very well.    The current Marriott check in app is a joke.    I have never had my room key ready when I used the mobile check in - the desk agent always has had to assign a room and make the keys.

I am not sure if the way Marriott operates is suitable for room selection and even mobile check in.  Marriott has the worst room management system of any major hotel system - compared to Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson, Holiday Inn, etc.   Other hotels seem to be able to handle early check in requests (by early I mean before 4pm) and Marriott does not.     Marriott always says check in is 3 or 4pm and that is when rooms are available.  It is like they can't track room status until the housekeeper finishes for his/her shift.

The entire check in process and room tracking system at Marriott seems to be manual.   Someone has to call to give priority to a room.      It seems like most times when I am on a multiple night stay, frequently my room is not ready when I return at 4pm after being gone all day.   Then you have to call to have the room done.

I have now been waiting for 3 hours for my room to be ready - it is now after 2pm and the room that is assigned to me has been vacant.   I am told that I have been #1 on the list to have my room prep'ed   But that seems to be ignored.    I am told someone in the back room tracks it and calls but then that would be manual.

When I mentioned to the front desk that Marriott's check in tracking systems is the worst of any of the majors, the man behind him chimed in and said he has the same experience and opinion.

Why does such a big hotel chain as Marriott have such an antiquated room tracking system.

I have an plenty of early check-in's using both the app in the last year as well as simply showing up on site as early as 1:30 PM to find a room available and at busy locations as well.  I don't believe what you mention is systemic to Marriott, but more properties management specific.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I like, IAHFLYR, have had plenty of early check-ins as well both using the app and simply walking up to the counter. I have showed up at properties at 11:30AM due to a host of reasons thinking that it can't hurt to ask. While I walk in expecting to be told my room isn't ready I have had several times where it was not a problem. I think it may have been because it was a CY property and it was a Saturday AM check-in so everyone is outta there Friday and they have empty rooms on a Sat. It is another small reason why CY properties might be an option. I certainly prefer a FS Marriott to CY but with low weekend rates sometimes, a 10% elite discount on weekends, and if the location works I go for it.

The mobile check in has been great to me at several properties and my keys were always ready. I will continue to use it.

ftcova Platinum

The app check in is mostly just a way to notify the hotel what time you plan to check in. 

The real issue is room management.   Marriott needs to have all its house keepers use a $200 iPod Touch (Wifi connected) with an apps that tracks room status as rooms are cleaned.  Now it is completely manual sheet of paper.

On my stay this past weekend, after a 3 hour wait - and getting a third agent, she looked at the reservation and then immediately went and picked up the keys, which had written on the key folder - 12pm check in.   Could be I was actually check in, but the other agents did know it.   Other times I have used mobile check in, it was just like a normal check in - no prepared keys - and these times it was after 3pm arrival.

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

I think this is the next step in the evolution of the app for check in - and welcomed - I'll certainly put it to use.  I've been using the mobile app for almost a year now and, so far, it's worked every time.  After I complete the check in process (usually the night before or early the day of), I always take a look back at the app during the day and, often, an upgraded room will show up and replace the original booking there on the app.  If I'm not familiar with that property I can do a quick lookup online and see where the upgrade fits in the lineup of rooms. Keys have always been assigned and waiting.  I may be in the minority, but the app has worked seamlessly for me.  I look forward to the possibility of additional upgrades.

rb84 Platinum

I think many properties utilize a system where housekeeping uses the phone system to key in a status for the room they have cleaned.

I would attempt to utilize a mobile check-in allowing me to select a specific room, if the system worked so that I knew what rooms would be available at my arrival time and I get to pick one of those. That way, if rooms don't meet my criteria- it's my choice to select it or chance getting what I really want once I get to the desk.

my experience with mobile check in has been hit or miss. Once, the desk said they did not have my check in information even though I showed them I completed check in. Several times I have had to stand in line with everyone else. Signs at one end of the desk saying Mobile Check In with only one person working the desk kinda defeats the purpose when there is a line.

Other times it's worked well.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Only if the mobile check-in feature allowed me to pick an upgraded room.  I've been hesitant to use the mobile check-in feature so far, as it would be more likely to get upgraded on the spot.  Case in point, I just completed a quick 1-night stay at the JW Le Merigot Santa Monica, where I was upgraded after check-in to a suite.

christianas Platinum 2 Reviews

I have been hesitant to use the mobile check-in feature, mostly because I worry about getting upgrades.  Does anyone know for sure if the mobile check-in talks directly to the database and assigns a room, or is it still manual at the front desk?

Either way, it's been my experience I'm more likely to get a good room upgrade with a face-to-face friendly smile, chit chat, and caring about the desk agent upon check-in.  While I get the complaints about the manual process and it seeming outdated, Marriott may be going for the actual in-person touch here.  I agree that their housekeeping tracking definitely needs work!

I've been using the mobile check-in for a few months now, and have noticed I don't seem to get upgrades as often.  I also have noticed that while my keys seem to be ready for me, actual check-in at the hotel is not any faster.  The agents are still taking me through the entire spiel, taking my CC, the works.  Ugh.  Unless I see real improvement, I'm going to stop using the mobile app, especially since the app itself seems to be rather buggy on the Android side.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...