8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2009 11:58 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Got burnt at the Res Inn?

travelsome Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In a nutshell, I am a freq traveler and switched to Marriott about 6 months ago from H*****n. In that time I became Platinum quickly, and usually stay at Res Inn because I enjoy them. My stays are usually one or two nights, perhaps a week.

I just found out the the Res Inn only rewards half the points of the other Marriott properties!!!! They give 5/dollar spent, the others give 10. This is because the Res Inn is "designed for long term stay", this was not the case for me.

Bottom line, I have missed out on about 100,00 points! I would not have known except for a unrelated conversation I had with a res person.

Has anyone else fallen into this? I feel very stupid, but not sure how I would have known... that is a  LOT of points (and money).

thanks

allan

• Re: Got burnt at the Res Inn?
    pltnmprincess Platinum

I think I probably found out about this the same way, although it was many years ago now.  FYI - the same is true for the Towneplace Suites.  I usually try not to stay in these properties if I am paying for the room for exactly this reason.  If I am booking an award stay I usually redeem my points for these properties because they are a lower category, take less points, and allow pets.

The good news is that all your nights still count as nights - so that will help achieve/maintain status.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Congratulations on making Platinum and welcome to Insiders. Earning 10 points per dollar is an expectation many have. Keep in mind that taxes at all Marriott brands are excluded from eligible revenue for earning points. 

It can get very confusing, unfortunately.  At some brands, incidentals are excluded.  For example, valet parking billed to the room at a Full Service hotel may or may not be included as eligible revenue.  At the Limited Service brands which includes Residence Inn, all incidentals are excluded from point earning.  In certain locations like Boston or New York among others, that's a double whammy because paid parking is a necessity and can be very costly.

To avoid 3rd degree burns, here's a convenient overview of how one earns points by brand: Hotel Stays.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

No one at the front desk will volunteer the points information.  The fine print for extended stay hotels is clear but most folks never read the fine print.

When I stay at an RI I always check my folio in case the additions have not been made. If I stay longer than the time when the folio is updated I keep the old one to make sure the information is included in my MR account.  Sometimes it is not, so just in case, I check it twice.

One other advantage is that in some locations (CA counties among them) staying at any hotel longer than 31 consecutive days means you are considered a resident and therefore all your transient occupancy taxes are then refunded.  Since these can be almost 10% it's a great savings.  Not sure if this applies anywhere else so it pays to ask if you're staying long stretches.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones

Thanks for the tip on savings. (checking residency and tax refund for extended stays)  

It may not work everywhere but when it does it can amount to serious savings for longer stays.  The same rules apply here in CA to renting a house--most are restircted to a month of more for the same reason, though people tend to fudge it and rent for a week for the US Open Golf (here in 2010 at Pebble Beach) and then keep it unrented for the three weeks when the golf is not being played.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry you missed this MR info.

Two biggies I always kep in mind when planning travel:

1.  RIs have 50% MR credit.

2.  Only full service properties (JWs, RENN, and MARR) give MR points on anything except room charges.

This is not only in the "fine print", but - in fairness to Marriott - is quite fully disclosed in other print and electronic atuff regarding RIs.

RIs are generally great properties and nights there earn elite MR levels.  However, if MR points are important to you, you should focus elsewhere.

Countryjim:

Correct! Not in the fine print but not posted at the RIs either. Long term stay is a different animal and shouold be treated as such, I suppose.  But with the tax relief and quality of staying at RIs it is all good for me!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Countryjim

I agree with your thinking.  In addtion to RI, stays at Towneplace Suites earn 5 MR points/$US.  Let's not forget:

MR earning at these propoerties is limited to 2.5 MR points/$US

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...