16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2015 5:39 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Taste of gold?

haf2001 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

HI everyone, I've been reading the posts but this is my first time posting. Just wondering, has anyone had any luck calling and getting signed up for taste of gold/platinum? I called yesterday and was denied, only offered a gold challenge. In your opinion, should I wait a couple of weeks and call back? Maybe get somebody different? Or would that not even be worth it?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Taste of gold?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

At the Silver level, you can only get signed up for a Gold challenge. Sometimes Marriott will offer a "Taste of Gold" where you are granted Gold status immediately and get to keep it if you complete 6 stays over the next 3 months.

If you call to request a challenge, you will be offered the "Road to Gold" which is almost the same as "Taste of Gold" except that you will not be given Gold status until after you complete 6 stays.

If you are not too far from reaching Gold it could be helpful to wait, since you would then be able to request a Platinum challenge (challenges are only available to achieve the next level). Also, only one challenge is allowed per year, so if you do opt for a Gold challenge, you won't be able to do a Platinum one later this year.

In any case, I don't think you will likely get a better result if you call again. Some folks have been denied for any challenge, so if you got offered a Gold one, that is likely the best you can expect.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you do get signed up for a challenge and if/when you complete it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

I would advise you to go for the Gold Challenge;

If you invest some effort, it is quite easy to get 6 stays quite fast.

My tactics to come to the six required stays is/was quite simple:

I had to stay in Shanghai for 4 days, so I stayed at a different Marriott hotel in Shanghai every day; so now I added 4 stays in 4 days...

You may find this a bit of a hassle;

however, most big cities have different Marriott's near each other and you can also store/leave one of your suitcases at the hotel you will be returning to again;

...so basically, you cold reach the six required stays in six days :-)

haf2001 Silver

Thanks for the tips. I have a couple upcoming stays this summer for summer holidays, one major one that if I had the gold challenge would easily get the majority of nights needed. But then I don't have any more stays planned after that. The big one, 4 nights at the Marriott Marquis Times Square, because I would just be completing the challenge with that stay, I won't exactly have gold until after, and that is the stay I specifically would like gold status for.  So you can see my predicament

ramoneur Platinum

...I am not sure how quick the upgrade to Gold would be executed;

if you would have/complete your 6th stay,

at a check out of let's say 30th of June,

then when would you be upgraded/promoted to Gold?

when the 6th stay appears on your account?

later?

Challenges requests by guest are usually tracked manually by MR staff. The best way to make sure status gets updated quickly is to call as soon as the 6th stay shows up in your account. Marriott will verify that the challenge has been met and upgrade status almost immediately.

I'm not sure when Marriott folks look to see if the challenge is met. It might not happen until the end of the challenge period in which case you could miss out on reaching Gold sooner.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey ramoneur, your status should be updated once you've completed the required number of stays. If you don't see the status change after completing the challenge (particularly if you have a stay coming up where you need those benefits applied ASAP), feel free to shoot me a DM with your Rewards # and we can have our team look into it

ramoneur Platinum

Hi Cari; thank you for your reply/message;

I have already made 5 qualifying stays up till now and I have booked my 6th qualifying stay for June the 27th.

After this 6th stay I will go to another Marriott-hotel (Renaissance) at the same day.

I expect it will take max. 3 to 4 days after my 6th stay to have my status changed to Gold;

I will DM you when it takes longer :-)

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Ahh, I see! Yes, feel free to shoot me a DM on that date with you don't get the status that same day

It's important to point out that challenges are typically "stays" not "nights." Consecutive nights at the same hotel count as one stay (even if you check out and check back in). Occasionally challenges have had "nights" requirements instead of "stays" but when that happens, the number of nights is usually a bit higher.

Four nights in one place (even the Marriott Marquis) will still only count as one stay. If you do go for the challenge, make sure you know exactly what you need to do to complete it.

haf2001 Silver

Yes, I understand that. Basically, all I'm asking at this point is if there's anyway possible i can get taste of gold before my nyc trip. I don't want the challenge because it's useless to me. i called and asked, they said no. Am I SOL or do I try again in a month or two?

ramoneur Platinum

why is the Challenge useless to you?

if you are expecting to hit Gold "the normal way" soon anyway,

then maybe shouldn't you aim for a Platinum Challenge after reaching Gold?

haf2001 Silver

I'm really far from gold the normal way. Until this year I stayed at Marriotts for work about twice a month. Not anymore. The challenge is useless to me because I'll be staying at marriotts this summer and then after that probably won't for quite a long time. So if I get the challenge and I hit gold, then I won't get to enjoy the status for who knows how long. I was thinking I could do taste of gold just to be able to enjoy these last few months of staying at marriotts. And more specifically for the early check in and upgrade perks in nyc.

I would say that if you can't complete 6 stays before your NYC trip, then no, there is probably no way to achieve Gold before you go. I've never heard of Marriott offering the "Taste of Gold" when someone requests a challenge. If you call, they'll sign you up for "Road to Gold." If you try again a month or two, it's a fairly safe bet that you would be offered the same "Road to Gold" challenge.

About the only hope is that Marriott decides to offer "Taste of Gold" to some current Silver Elites and you get selected. While not impossible, the likelihood of that happening is not very good.

haf2001 Silver

Thank you!!!!

702rugbyref Platinum

The gold challenge was sent to me and I completed it in I think 4 weeks. I called MR and asked about a Platinum challenge and completed that in 6 weeks as I had several trips planned. Completing (I think 9 stays) in 2-3 months but if you get the challenge and call in the middle of the month (say June 17) you will get the rest of this month as a bonus to complete the challenge. Good luck!

Jsucool76 Gold

You always get the rest of the current month +3 months...

Best bet is to call up and request it on (I believe it needs to be the 3rd of the month or later) and you'll get almost a full 4 months if you need it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...