5 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2015 3:18 PM by ramoneur RSS

3 week tour of China with my wife

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have been traveling throughout China since 2007 for business.

Having the luxury of speaking/reading some Chinese I have been doing this fairly independently.

Now, planning a sort of "renewed honeymoon" with my wife in 2017, I am a bit at a loss what our itinerary should be for a 3 week trip.

I am planning to use as much as possible of my Marriott account points for the stays, so my preference for the hotels would be Marriott.

My last destination, for a few days, would be Shanghai, since I sort of gotten to know this city.

However, regarding what to do/visit in the 2,5 weeks before we end up there, I still have no clue.

Since this will be her only time for a long time past - and to come - to taste a bit of freedom (since she is a stay at home mother and we have two young daughters...) the pressure of making this a "once-in-a-lifetime" holiday/memory is a bit high...

My wife likes reading, music, history and culture.

Early 30's when we will have this trip.

So I am thinking about the following travel plan:

[3 days] fly to Beijing, visit the old palace, TianAnMen, etc.

[2 days] take night train to ChengDu, visit some panda's, etc.

[3 days] go to Chongqing, visit museums, etc.

[2 days] take train to KunMing, visit museums (Flying Tigers, etc.)

[2 days] drive/train/boat to the Three Gorges Dam, visit museums, etc.

[3 days] take boat (YangtZe River Cruise) to ?

[2 days] go to SuZhou

[2 days] go to HangZhou

[3 days] Shanghai

Do you guys/gals have any other ideas, tips, advice, etc.?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
  • Re: 3 week tour of China with my wife
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

That sounds like a splendid trip, ramoneur. Though I've never been to China myself, I'm eager to hear what other Insiders have to say on this subject.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mrgeee Platinum

First of all, if you have not stayed at the JW @ Tomorrow Square in Shanghai, you are missing out..... it is a fabulous hotel.

As for what else to do? a short day trip by Bullet Train and taxi to the City of Wuxi and the "Lingshan Scenic Spot". This is an absolutely amazing place, including a giant bronze Buddha larger than the Statue of Liberty. Google it and look at photos.

A quick search brought up this site, which has a very good description:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/jiangsu/wuxi/lingshan-buddha.htm

My wife and I visited here with our daughter and son in-law. Other than a couple from Holland, all of the other thousands of tourists were Chinese. My Language skills are almost non-existent yet we did quite well. My comment to people as I "try" to explain the place, is that I felt as if I were at Disney World, but it was all real...... I would recommend this to everyone as a "don't miss" place. Note the size of the people in the photos I took below for comparison.

I also note you do not include a trip to Xian, and the Terracotta Warriors.....

I hope you enjoy the trip!!

Mark

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Those are wonderful pictures and the trip does sound really fun and informative.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks so much for this. The missus has a ton of Virgin miles to blow and I'm thinking about redeeming for a Marriott travel package with 100k Virgin miles and we had kind of dismissed Shanghai as an option out-of-hand. This will be a late honeymoon, (next year) so I think I will sit down with her and we'll give Shanghai a closer look...

ramoneur Platinum

..you are right; I forgot Xian;

been there myself in the past;

it is indeed a must-see location; thanks for reminding me :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...