7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2015 1:32 PM by techie RSS

Lack of customer service at the Gaylord Opryland

graphmaster Member
Currently Being Moderated

Terrible customer service. We had seven rooms reserved for a convention- all were supposed to be together. Extremely high prices and terrible customer service. They had our group spread out all over this large resort when they had guaranteed us our group would be together. - we made our reservations in January with a May stay. Called several times with the guarantee we would all be together. Until check in,when they had all our reservations all over the place. Then their manager told us they would never promise us we would be near each other - while right next to us another large group checked in and were welcomed with consecutive rooms. When the manager literally said he wasn't going to to anything to even attempt to fix the problem, you know they really don't care if you are happy with your stay. The facility is awesome, but if this is how they treat customers, I won't ever stay again! They did end up putting two of us in handicap rooms. These were both at the farthest end of the section and were not very nice. We also had been offered smaller 'parlor rooms' with fold out couches.

The customer service here never improved.  Most of the rooms my party checked into were dirty.  Since we booked rooms months in advance, but were assigned handicap rooms in the bowels of the hotel (if this is the way Marriott treats all handicapped customers-they should be ashamed), we requested room changes the next day.  We were told there weren't any available. Yet, in the lobby, they continued to check people in and out.  Speaking with other event attendees, they were experiencing the same issues.

I feel this place is so large, they really don't have any concern about upsetting a few people.    This place isn't cheap and when you book so far ahead and pay so much for an upscale Marriott room, I guess I could expect to get the room I pay for - so not the case here!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Nashville, Tennessee, USA Gaylord Hotels Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
  • Re: Lack of customer service at the Gaylord Opryland
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

NEVER accept a verbal confirmation.  Ask for a written confirmation that rooms will be adjacent, etc.  Otherwise you have no solid recourse.

But in general when a property has the demand this one does and is in a tourist site, you can bet that most guests are just a number.  Sort of like going to a restaurant in Gatlinburg or Branson.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Yikes.

Thanks for sharing this with the community, graphmaster. If you would like to speak with a member of our team about this experience and seek support, just shoot me a DM with you Rewards number and a way to reach you to get started, I;d be happy to connect you for support.

graphmaster Member

I tried to DM you via my phone and a laptop, the system wont let me. keeps coming up with a red bar that only says 'close' and doesn't send the message

mommadazzo Member

So sorry for your experience. I haven't visited there yet. The Gaylord Orlando has always been a great experience. I haven't stayed since Marriott took over but, would expect it to only improve.

Good luck on resolution.

chwilliams47 Silver

Add deafening noise and randomly closed restaurants to the problems at Opryland.  Very interesting venue.  Planted gardens in atriums are impressive, and dining options are attractive.  But many of them don't take reservations, and random unannounced closings are a problem.  We frequently walked all the way across the complex to one that sounded attractive, only toe find signs posted "Closed for special event" -- and often with no one there.

And NEVER, NEVER accept a room facing the Delta Island atrium (contains the river ride, waterfalls, and island with restaurants).  Our room was bombarded with deafening sound night after night.  Imagine a bad Neil Diamond imitator reverberating off glass and steel at thousands of decibels.  We ate a business meal at the old Hickory steakhouse facing Delta Island, where the food and service were quite good, but we could not hear ourselves talk across a four-person table!  Imagine that if you are trying to make a positive impression on a client.

The place is lots of fun, many things to do, shuttles to downtown Nashville convenient.  But take your Bose noise-cancelling headphones if you want to relax in your room, or get a room facing the Garden Conservatory and only make dinner reservations at restaurants that are in that area.  If they are not randomly closed!

tishers Platinum

I used to work on Elm Hill Pike (about four miles to the south of Opryland) and we would have clients who came in to town who asked about coming back to stay with their families at Opryland. Even for those of us who lived in that area (I did for several years) we never stayed there. When asked I would suggest something else like the Spring Hill Suites, Nashville Airport (off of Elm Hill and Donelson Pike) or the Courtyard Nashville Airport (Elm Hill, right by McGavock Pike).

It was easier to take a day-trip to Opryland and stay off-site in one of the other, very nice Marriott hotels.

For the clients who did stay at Opryland with their families they would make mention about how nice the events were but you did not hear many nice things said about the hotel.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

All Gaylord properties are on my blacklist.

I have only been to the Orlando one, but that was more than enough to indicate to me that this is not my kind of property.  They are full of themselves.   They charge a "resort fee" even in Washington DC.

If the FCC's $600,000 fine to them wasn't enough of a confirmation, then I don't know what is.

They are the shame of the Marriott Hotel family.  I wish they had not joined it and they bring my opinion of the organization downward.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...