5 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2015 5:48 PM by ramoneur RSS

noisy room, switch to another?

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In Shanghai I always stay at the 扬子江 / Renaissance at Yan'An Lü.

I love this place.

Only thing during this business trip was: I was assigned a very noisy room; I never experienced that before.

I am one of those people who sleeps with two pillows: on below and one on the head (yes, I know earplugs would be better...).

Liking the placing, thinking it was me, I tried to sleep the first night.

I did not.

So I asked for a room-switch and - without any fuss, kind help, no questions, etc., - and with help of somebody - I was assigned another room.

I immediately recognized the quietness I am used to in there and finally had a good night of sleep.

(the room however was two beds and not king size, but I don't mind if there is no other choice; I like the extra "sorting space").

My questions are:

- what are my rights when a room is "too noisy"?

(this is very subjective; I usually wake to the sound of the central heating switching on in my own house);

- should I tip the guy/gal who helps me change rooms (carrying my bag and some hangered clothes), and then if so: how much?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
  • Re: noisy room, switch to another?
    CariJ Marriott Associate Member

I'm happy to hear you were able to switch rooms, ramoneur! Those are two interesting questions you pose, and I'm quite interested to know what our fellow Insiders think.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

IMO: Depends on the noise.

If it's other guests, construction, disco, etc. then I'd demand a change of rooms or that management deal with the noise makers.

If there is something inherent in the hotel or the area like near to a railway or airport or something that is beyond control then maybe you just learn not to stay at that hotel again.

Should you tip the guy who helps you change rooms? Yes. It wasn't his fault. The couple of times I've had to change rooms I tipped the bellman who helped me.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

one time I was next to elevator( wasn't a Marriott) and all night whenever anyone either got on or off the elevator you head a ding. It happened to be a Saturday so a lot of dings. Next day I moved to a different hotel as was told there were no other rooms .I never let them give me rooms near the elevator again

rb84 Platinum

I Agree. Another thing about being near the elevator is even if you don't hear the "ding" you may hear people as they congregate there and wait for the elevator. They talk. Loudly!

I requested a move a few weeks ago at 1:30 AM. The guy in the next room came in drunk and began snoring. The room layout was such that our headboard was against the wall that had their headboard. his wife would wake him every few minutes but  he would soon crank it up again. They moved us. I tipped the security person that brought the luggage cart and new key. As for the wife of the snoring drunk....I doubt it's so easy to change husbands!

ramoneur Platinum

thanks for all the replies thus far;

about tipping: what are the minimum and nominal amounts?

(either % of room price or "acceptable amount" in China)

....also, having seen a lot of American (located) movies, I see the bellman waiting and holding his had up;

I have never experienced this in China;

Is there another "routine" they practice?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...