35 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2015 8:03 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Beer-cations!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Beer-cations, or beer themed getaways, quite possibly my newest and most favorite form of travel.  Does anyone have any recommendations for beer themed destinations? Where are the best breweries?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Northeast
  • Re: Beer-cations!
    joshm Member

This thread is AWESOME! I'm excited to read the recommendations of the community, carat.

As far as my own recommendation(s)?

OREGON!

First of all, Oregon is arguably the most beer-tastic state in the country!

Below is a list of Breweries, in the event that you choose to visit Oregon, that you absolutely need to hit (I've missed many of them too, but these are the first that come to mind ):

Bend, OR:

Deschutes Brewerty

10 Barrel Brewery

Goodlife Brewing

Boneyard Brewery

Portland, OR:

Rogue Brewery

Burnside Brewery

Breakside Brewery

Bridgeport Brewery

Hair of the Dog Brewing

Some other greats are Pelican Brewery in Pacific City, Southern Oregon Brewing in Medford.

These are only some of what Oregon has to offer the beer lover.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

joshm - Deschutes Black Butte Porter has become one of my favorites!

joshm Member

I LOVE that beer as well, jakeal.

It's one of the better porters around in my opinion.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Breakside has one of the best IPAs in town. Hands down.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Belgium is an excellent beer-cation!  The bars and the beers are the big wins, not necessarily the breweries, as many of them are monasteries.  Spent a week - 5 nights in Ghent (highly recommend) and 2 nights in Brussels, with a day trip to Bruges.  A bar in Bruges is celebrating its 500th year in business this year.  I did a blog post on Insiders with a trip report and pictures.

curiousone Platinum

Arizona has been adding breweries like crazy. They stretch across the state. A few, just in the metro Phoenix area:

blastedbarley.com

freaknbrew.com

motherbunchbrew.com

northmountainbrewing.com

peoriaartisanbrewing.com

peachpubbrewery.com

scottsdalebeercompany.com

unclebearsbrewhousegrill.com

My wife and I always enjoy trying local brews when we travel.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Here's an article that might help pick a destination in the U.S.

Best Beer Cities in America

There doesn't seem to be a bad choice on the list.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, I must bookmark this thread!

joshm Member

Notice #1 on that list

If beer is a favorite of yours, brightlybob, I suggest you trek out to the Pacific Northwest!

KatieC Member

Portland, ME, Burlington, VT and Grand Rapids, MI are my favorites on this list, bejacob!  American Flatbread pizza in Burlington is an amazing pairing with a VT micro-brew.

Looking forward to my stay at the JW Marriott in Grand Rapids at the beginning of June. I'll have to reread that article just before I go so I know where else to stop.

KatieC Member

A great property! Go to six.one.six for a drink, if you take a break from the beer, and ask the AMAZING bartendar Kellie Rowland. She's a true mixologist.

I love this list bejacob!! I'm going to have to make a bucket list just for beer cities.  One city that didn't make the cut that I'm surprised about is Austin, TX.  Not only is it an awesome city, the brews are quite tasty.  My favorite would have to be Austin Beer Works.  Especially since they host happy hours where you buy a glass for $10, get 3 pours of super fresh delicious beer, highly recommend Soul Glo, and chill outside with an eclectic crowd.  

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

BeerCations. Mixing my 2 favourite subjects. Now you're talking.

GOtta be lots of choice over in the States, where Marriott brands are everywhere. Here in the EU they tend to be confined to larger towns and cities. And small breweries tend to be based in smaller towns and villages. However with a car many options could be available thoough I'm not sure brewery tours in a car are a great idea.

I'm sure the Bristol Marriott will provide a good jump off point for Cider lovers. Manchester and Birmingham both have breweries within the city boundaries as of course does Dublin, with its Guinness. In Scotland there's lots of distilleries somewhat north of Glasgow/Edinburgh and in the vicinty of Aberdeen. Belgium is a small country with a huge number of breweries, and in Bavaria, Germany it's near impossible to drive for more than 10 mins without stumbling across a brewery. Lastly, I think beer is still brewed actually in Prague, so a trip there may be a no-car solution.

packfan Gold 8 Reviews

Headed to Brussels Belgium in a few weeks and have a beer tour already booked!!! I will report my extensive findings upon my return.

Looking forward to what you've got to say packfan!! Not only am I a little jealous, I'm quite thirsty! (Thankfully its Friday )  Have fun on your trip!!

packfan Gold 8 Reviews

Took a walking "Beer Tour" with Global tours in Brussels and led by Jann. Had a blast, learned lots and sampled, sampled, sampled! Tour started at 1400 hrs, finished approximately 1600 hrs but we stayed as a group 2230 hrs. Highly recommend this tour if your ever in Belgium.

Will you just be in Brussels or are you venturing out to Ghent?  About an hours train ride and many great watering holes, great people and sites.  If you are heading that way, let me know and I can point you toward some great bars and food.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

carat,

Great thread!  Almost every major US city now has at least a few breweries.  A few places come to mind right away as great for a beercation . . .

Asheville, NC - Asheville Ale Trail - Discover Asheville North Carolina's Craft Beer Breweries, Tap Rooms and Beer Bars

Denver and Fort Collins, CO - The area between Boulder, Denver, and Fort Collins has been called the "Napa Valley of Beer" - Denver Beer, Brewery & Tap House Guide Online

Having visited Asheville at the end of April, I can second that recommendation. It shows up as #16 on the list of Best Beer Cities in America. Well worth a visit.

I've heard good things about Asheville.. Do you have any recommendations on other things to do?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Ever heard of the Vanderbilt Mansion, just outside Asheville?

I have and I've been there, but I was too young to appreciate it . Would definitely love to go again!

Biltmore Estate, yes just outside Asheville.

Jsucool76 Gold

While not breweries, south florida has some great "gastropubs" with fantastic beer menus.

We also have the Due South, and Funky Buddha breweries down here.

Up in gainesville florida there's the swamphead brewery which makes some pretty tasty stuff. 

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

Cigar City Tampa, and many fine breweries in Dunedin Florida  ---7venth Sun Brewing Company and Dunedin Brewery

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

If anyone is interested in some of the best Craft Brews in the US, San Diego has a bunch of 'em.  And this brewer is a destination in and of itself, which just happens to be stumbling distance from a Courtyard by Marriott.

Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station ‹ Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I love Stones.  Not a fan of Arrogant ******* (too strong for me), but I love going to their World Bistro and Garden in San Marcos, or I guess it's technically in Escondido.  The food is excellent too.  We'll have to pay Liberty Station a visit soon.  I like the Smoked Porter.

Here's another article that might be of interest to readers of this thread.

33 American Beers To Drink Before You Die.

Cheers!

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

Those are some great beers on that list   --Thanks I enjoyed reading it and see a few I have to find

What a great list!! bejacob I see there is a beer from Asheville, the Asheville Brewing Ninja Porter.  Have you had this beer before?  It looks tasty!! The best beer on that list would have to be the $14 stadium beer!  Although, it does have a bitter taste when your team isn't doing well

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm going to germany this upcoming friday. Will be staying in cologne but I plan on going around to as many places in germany as I can.

Anyone got any suggestions for some good beer spots. (I know it's germany and everywhere is a beer spot, but any great experiences you've had somewhere?)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jsucool76,

One of the most famous in the World is The Hofbrau House, in Munich.  A train ride to Munich, and a short walk to Marienplatz, well worth it if you can make it!

Have a wonderful trip!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jsucool76,

One of the most famous in the World is The Hofbrau House, in Munich.  A train ride to Munich, and a short walk to Marienplatz, well worth it if you can make it!

Have a wonderful trip!

Jsucool76 Gold

Definitely. I'll probably end up flying to munich cause the train ride from cologne is hecka long, and If i lower my stay by 1 night in cologne my rate shoots up like 80 euro a night (#LongStayRate) but it's thanks for the suggestion, will definitely check it out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...