This discussion is locked
11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2016 3:12 PM by timp4411 RSS

Marriott status match / elite challenge

itwasntme Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Note from your Community Managers:  For all inquires and requests regarding Status Challenges, please refer to the following thread:

Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

A while ago I went off a phone conversation with an Rewards program associate and sent an email to customer service just to make sure I got everything on paper. Let me tell you a story.

I am, what most people call, a frequent traveler. I spend 50-75% of my time abroad and living in hotels. I'm currently 2 years in a row a Concierge level member of Club Carlson and just now I'm waiting for my Diamond card with Hilton Honors.

Another quick fact - I plan to spend 39 nights in a hotel (any hotel) in the US (travelling from Europe) starting from a couple of weeks from now.

A colleague of mine is a gold tier member with Marriott and she looked up where we'll be and what hotels are somewhat "close" to our preferred location. Now we have 3 Hilton hotels and a Marriott. Of course, given her gold status - she's opting for Marriott. I thought - OK, let's see what can be done and rung Marriott Rewards with a question on matching my status (2 top tier statuses with other chains, just to restate it) or giving me a challenge / fast track, as I will anyway spend close to 40 nights in a hotel.

The lady on the other side simply said "no". I mean - it was of course a longer conversation, where she was saying she could offer me a "silver challenge", but it didn't make sense, since I will anyway spend more than 10 nights. No option to match my status and no willingness to earn money.

Now, luckily I am here in a better position and I'm not "forced" to go the Marriott. I will simply go to one of the 3 Hiltons and enjoy my Diamond status and of course I will also make my colleague stay there with me. All in all - the Hilton will earn something like 15 thousand USD for the stay and I? I will simply keep my account for "if I'm ever forced by my supervisors to stay in a Marriot" event and not consider this chain for the future.

I mean, seriously? Are you really willing to forfeit 15k USD and a potential customer spending half to two thirds of his time in hotels? I guess you're a very rich hotel chain and not interested in getting even more rich.

I don't really want a reply from the hotel, unless you really do want the money and would like to discuss matching my status.

I do hope you learn from my story.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott status match / elite challenge
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Typically challenges can only be used to move up one elite level. I'm a little surprised Marriott wasn't more willing to try to match status to earn your business.

I suspect there will be no way to change the policy, so the only thing that might work would be to call again after you reach 10 nights and qualify for Silver Elite status.

One caveat. A Gold challenge typically requires 6 stays (not nights) over a 3 month period. A long stay at one location would not be helpful in achieving this. Breaking up your stay into 6 chunks with a Hilton stay between each one would work, though that is not the intent of the program. What you can't do is check out of the Marriott and check back in the same day. That still counts as one stay.

Your lesson is a good one to share. Thanks for posting even if things didn't work out the way you hoped.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joshm Member

Thank you for taking the time to share this story with the Insiders community, itwasntme.

I agree with bejacob, in that something seems off regarding the non-offer of a challenge or fast track.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to connect you to our team in order to discuss this and evaluate your options! Shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and a way to reach you to get started.

On that note, welcome to the Insiders forum. Like you've done here, the Insiders network is place to share stories, perspectives, travel tips and insights, recommendations, and general conversation with a network of savvy travelers and super helpful road warriors (like @bejacob!).

If you have any questions or concerns you would like to chat about, please don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm), CariJ, or lindseyh. We make up the community management team for the forum and we're here to help!

Again, thanks for posting, and welcome to the Insiders family.

itwasntme Platinum

Hey, thanks for the above. Anyway - I emailed the Customer Service team with details on my account. At this point I'm not really interested in Marriott offers, I just want proof for what I got on the phone. There's other hotels, simply said. I spend too much time travelling and way too much money (at least corporate money) on hotels, room service etc. to come begging for an upgrade. Every city I've been to has at least one Hilton or Radisson (or Park Inn or whatever), where I do get the service I expect to get.

So, have fun, enjoy and - we'll see if I'm back.

statusmatchplease Member

joshm I tried to send you a direct message but it failed.  I am in a similar situation as I am Platinum with SPG, Diamond with Hyatt, and Gold with Hilton and would like to shift a significant amount of my stays to Marriott this year.  I contacted customer service via email but was only offered a Silver Match.  Its hard for me to give up benefits that I have at almost every other chain in order to work my way up the ladder.  Please let me know if there is anything you can do to help!

Thanks!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi statusmatchplease

I see that you are new around here and I'd like to welcome you to the Insiders Community!  This is a great place to talk about all things travel related.  From sharing your experiences and recommendations to hearing what other members have to say about the Rewards Program.  I'm carat, and I am one of the moderators here along with lindseyh and deannad.  If you ever have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reach out to any of us.  I've included a link to our 'Getting Started Guide' just in case you'd like to take a look. 

Getting Started Guide

In regards to your post, sometimes when you first join, you are unable to send private messages, however that is changed now.  I can help out with this as well, if you wouldn't mind sending me your Rewards Number, I'll can check in with our team and see what they have to say. 

Again, Welcome to Insiders!! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

statusmatchplease Member

carat Thank you!  I sent you a direct message with the information!

mandana07 Silver

Hello, I am trying to message you but am getting the orange bar pop up that says 'close' and it Doesn't look like my messages are going through. Could you please send me a message so maybe I can reply back that way?

Thank you,

timp4411 Gold

My wife is a Hilton Diamond member and already has over 20 nights with Hilton in the last two months.

She would like to try out the Marriott more than she is currently doing now, but would like some sort of status match/challenge.

It seems like Marriott isn't to keen on picking up Hilton Diamond member based on what I read.

Is that true?

Or will Marriott offer a challenge or something to get her business ?

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hello timp4411,

One of our veteran Insiders bejacob has recently summarized status challenges and common questions received on this thread: Am I Eligible for a Gold (or Platinum) Challenge?

I'm not sure what level of the Marriott Rewards program your wife is at already, but the thread describes the eligibility for enrollment in a status challenge. If she is Silver or above, please have her message me with her Rewards number and we can have our team look into her eligibility for a challenge to the next level.

Thanks for inquiring!

timp4411 Gold

deannad,

Thanks for the information.

Looks like she will just have to remain a Hilton Diamond instead.

It's a shame, since on the pace she is on now, she will have around 240 nights this year.

Regards.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...