24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2016 9:10 AM by carat RSS

Rollover expiration - seeking clarification

d3eimz Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I rolled over 6 nights from 2014 into 2015. If the rest of 2015 goes according to plan, I will upgrade from Gold to Platinum mid-year. Assume I stay 75 nights in 2015. True or false: under these assumptions, there would be no rollover nights going into 2016.

The intent of the policy seems pretty clear, but it's annoying that the FAQ lacks an upgrade example (while making it absolutely clear that mere renewal or downgrade means that rollover nights expire). See Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

• If a member achieves a higher status than their current level (Silver to Gold, Gold to Plat), the additional nights beyond the newly achieved threshold will be rolled over
  • Rollover nights expire after one calendar year

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover expiration - seeking clarification
    Jsucool76 Gold

If you are at ONLY 75 nghts, then no rollovers. Anything over 75 will rollover.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

It leads to some strange scenarios:

Person A:

Year 1: 75 nights, made platinum at end

Year 2: 75 nights, platinum

Year 3: 75 nights, platinum

Year 4: 75 nights, platinum

Total nights stayed = 300

Total EQN earned = 300

Person B:

Year 1: 74 nights, made gold

Year 2: 74 nights + 24 rollover = 98 nights, made platinum

Year 3: 74 nights, Platinum (from previous year), only made gold

Year 4: 74 nights + 24 rollover = 98 nights, made platinum

Total nights stayed = 296

Total EQN earned = 344.

SO the person who stayed 4 fewer nights ends up with 44 more earned nights? Insane...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Bet there are scenarios like this where one can earn more than straight level per year stays. First i am happy Marroitt does have a roll over plan. I have benefitted a number of times. I think they did it for a couple of reason . First to keep people staying after they have achieved a level within a year and second to account for some,variation in frequency . No plan would  ever please everyone or benefit everyone but overall it is a good benefit

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Iin your B scenario, the rollover nights are NOT counted a second time towards earned nights for lifetime purposes, which I think is what you seem to be suggesting.

No, it's not quite that simple.  Anything over 75 nights minus last years rollover nights will roll over.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You rolled over 6 nights from 2014. Once you reach 75 nights, you will make Platinum. The 6 rollover nights will not roll again and will "disappear" at year end.

In order to have any nights rollover to 2016, you will need more than 81 nights on December 31, 2016. As an example, let's say you end the year with 85 nights earned (6 rollover plus 79 earned through stays, credit card earnings, etc.) Take the 85 nights and subtract the 75 needed for Platinum leaving 10. From this 10 subtract the 6 that were rolled over (since they can't roll again) leaving 4. In such a scenario, you would rollover 4 nights to 2016.

All you have to do to get to Platinum is cross 75 nights (which does include the 2014 rollover). If you also hope to rollover any nights to 2016, you'll have to pass 81 nights. Nights above 81 will rollover (82 = 1 rollover, 83 = 2 rollovers, 84 = 3 rollovers, etc.).

If you fall short of 75 nights and don't make Platinum, here's what happens. Imagine ending with 73 nights. Subtract the 50 needed to retain Gold, leaving 23. Subtract the 6 rolled over from 2014 (see above) leaving 17. 2016 begins with you at Gold and starting the year with 17 rollover nights making it a little easier to retain Gold or reach Platinum in 2016 and adding a few additional lifetime nights. I would advise that if you get within two or three nights, find a cheap FFI or TPS and pay for a couple nights to push you across the finish line.

It can be somewhat complicated, but I hope this explanation helps.

Perfectly laid out with respect to moving up a level and with regards to the OP's current scenario of making platinum status this year and what would be required to garner some rollover nights for 2016 (needing nights in excess of 81), however...

I must respectably disagree with your last paragraph.  If a plat does not re qualify for plat for the next year, they fall back to gold with NO rollover nights.  When a member falls back, they take no rollover nights with them.  None.  Zip.  Nada.  Bummer.

That's true pluto77. If a person starts the year at Silver or Gold, but fails to make Platinum, the rollover nights would be as I mentioned previously.

You are spot on with regards to dropping a level. No rollover nights at all if your status goes down from Platinum to Gold, Gold to Silver, or Silver to Basic. Good call, as I did not mention that in my last post.I was looking just at the situation of a Gold member coming up just short of Platinum. Thanks for reminding me to clarify.

Ah, right, you are referring to gold staying at gold.  Right-on then.  But the rollover nights don't count a second time towards lifetime, which now, rereading your post, I understand that's not what you were trying to convey, but I think that might be what the other poster was insinuating.

I don't mean to be a negative Moriarty with these posts, I am just wanting to make sure that the correct info is posted.  I was going to pass on the entire thread, but when I noticed a couple of posts that seemed well, not quite precise, in the interest of disseminating the correct info, I couldn't walk away.

Rollover nights are one of those crafty benefits that sans precision of clarity, can be a bit of a brain teaser.  Back to mindless housework...

ndn Platinum

Actually roll over nights do count towards lifetime status:

Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earnedthroughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nightsand the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card.

Source: Elite Benefits

Yes, they do. In that sense, you do get credit for them twice toward lifetime status (once when you earn them and again when they rollover).

ndn, This is indeed welcome news (for a nice change), and I stand corrected.  Can you or anyone else confirm this to be the case in actual practice in your own Marriott Rewards account?  If so, it will be a game changer for me.  I would now then strive to NOT achieve platinum status (aspiring to only 74 nights) for a couple of years in order to attain lifetime platinum status much, much quicker.  A perfectly acceptable and agreeable trade off, and one of those cases when less is definitely more, as you illustrated above (And very surprised that Marriott would do this, but then they let United gold + enjoy Marriott gold status while only offering MR plats UA silver, further demonstrating that they value new business over loyalty, and certainly not whining, just stating an apparent fact.)

I am one who benefited from this a couple years ago. I ended one year (2013, I think?) as Silver with 39 nights (no rollover from the previous year) meaning I began the new year with 29 rollover nights. My lifetime nights jumped by 29 at the beginning of the year. A couple months later I earned Gold and a few months after that completed a Platinum challenge getting me to where I am today.

Knowing I will likely end this year with somewhere near 50 nights (not enough to retain Platinum) I have already been giving a little though to whether to buy back status or drop back to Gold and potentially earn rollover nights a year down the road (as you point out, no rollover at all the year status drops). I'm looking at my current points earnings and calculating what I would have earned at the Gold level. If my travels stay about what they are (or increase slightly), I'll end up earning a little more than the 40K points it will cost to buy back Platinum if I choose to pay the points retain my status, so I'll probably do it. It is nice to have this option.

The important part is knowing the rules and then making the best decision based on those rules. Of course sometimes the rules change, but that's an entirely different discussion.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

My work means I am away in hotels about once a week. Marriott is not omnipresent here in the UK so theres not always one near my destination. It's tough to manage 50 nights. In any normal travel year 75 nights are impossible. Any scheme that eases my qualification numbers is welcome and I have benefitted twice from rollovers.

2009 was an exceptional traveled year and I made Plat with 100 Nights and so rolled over 25 to 2010. In 2010 I only managed 50 nights, but retained Plat for 2011 thanks to the rollover.

I spent 2012 and 2013 as Gold but in 2014 my travel exploded, I took a challenge at the beginning of the year and by year end had chalked up 120 nights, so rolled over 45 to this year. So far this year I've made 20 nights and although I'll be doing 27 nights at hotels during my summer vacation theyre all redemptions so I am likely only to manage another 20 Marriott paid nights this year. Even so, with last years rollover I'll comfortably retain Plat for 2016.

In all likelihood I'll slip back to gold in 2017 as unless something like the truly exceptional years of 2009 and 2014 recur, I'll not make 75 nights again. Mind you by that time I'll be on over 2mill points and 650 nights so lifetime Plat will be just a matter of time.

For me the rollover has proven very useful a and given me 2 extra years at Plat I would otherwise have lost. It's a good idea and has certainly helped to drive my loyalty as in neither 2009 nor in 2014 did I get to 75 and think about stopping and staying elsewhere. I knew on both occasions it was woRuth continuing to stay as those stays would assist with my next years qualification.

joshm Member

This is a great topic to being to the forum, d3eimz, and you've asked an excellent question.

I'm going to seek clarity around this for you, in addition to the helpful contributions made by ndn, Jsucool76, and jerryl!

Stay tuned. I'll follow up with whatever I find out. Thanks for posting!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

It would seem that sometimes, silver-elite status and a limited travel itinerary is a good thing. Happy summer, MRIs!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey there d3eimz, joshm looked into this for you and our team confirmed the following: Elite nights in addition to what was needed to earn or maintain status are only "rolled over" one time. You are correct with your example, that no Elite nights will rollover into 2016. If you would like us to have someone look into your specific situation, feel free to shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and our team can provide more clarity.

d3eimz Platinum

Many thanks CariJ and joshm. I really was just looking for confirmation, though now I'm intrigued by the example presented by bejacob.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

roll over hurts no one and can benefit everyone but maybe not to everyone desires

kritter Gold

I am new to the Insider forum & just getting up to speed - I've been a been a Marriott Reward member for 30+ years and for a 5-year period I traveled extensively staying mostly at Marriott properties whenever available. During that time I achieved platinum status staying 150+ nights several years, however none of the extra nights did anything for me the following year. When did the rollover program start?

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I believe it was 2010.  I could be mistaken, but I'm sure someone else will jump in if I am.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi kritter.  Welcome to the Insiders forum!  As you may have seen already, this is a great place to discuss all things travel related.  From sharing your experiences and recommendations to learning the ins and outs of the Rewards program.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators along with lindseyh and deannad.  Please feel free to reach out to any of us with questions, we're here to help!

In regards to the Rollover nights, it has been around for a couple of years, however I'm not exactly sure of the start date.  I would like to take a deeper look into this for you.  Would you mind sending me a private message with your Rewards number?  Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...