7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2009 4:18 PM by texasgirl RSS

Elite Status

azchanning Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a Platinum member this year; however, I will definitely not have enough nights to maintain this status in 2010.  Even worse, it appears that I will be about five nights short of earning 50 nights this year to obtain Gold next year.  Will Marriott downgrade me two levels to Silver or just downgrade me to Gold for 2010.  Thanks!

• Re: Elite Status
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think if you make a direct email appeal to Marriott Rewards, citing your past stays over the years there may be some leeway in how they adjust your status. You can also call but they may tell you that corporate makes the rules not them.

One year, 15 years ago, I did not remake Gold and was comped in--I was only three nights short at the time. In a letter (remember them?) I offered to pay (I think the offer was to give them 30,000 points at that time to be reinstated) but they took pity on me and reupped me at Gold (It was called Black level at that time).

So, in your email detail your past loyalty to the Marriott Rewards and see what happens.  Good luck and let us know what happens.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travelperfect Platinum 8 Reviews

The last time I was short nights for Platinum, I was downgraded to the level my nights qualified me for.  I'd suggest Marriott offer double nights again for all of 2010 so people can requalify.  Times are tough and Marriott should support the limited travel many of us have to do during this time.  Things will get better and companies who support us now will have total loyalty in the future. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

AZChanning:

Excellent topic.  Given the economy, business travel budgets cut to the bone and sharply reduced leisure travel, requalifying is a valid concern for many - including Marriott.  

In the 1st Qtr 2009 Marriott offered Elite members the opportunity to Buy Back Your Marriott Rewards Elite Status for 2009. The offer expired March 31st. 

Some saw it as an olive branch because of the 2009 Program Changes.  But the lion's share of comments and articles appearing on FlyerTalk and elsewhere cast Marriott in a benign light.

In December 2008 or thereabouts, Marriott Rewards membership crossed the threshold of 30 million members.  Given the 80/20 rule, that 80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your customers, it's imperative for any organization to maintain the loyalty of that 20%. 

From that perspective, I'm optimistic. It's in Marriott's best interests to offer multiple ways to reinstate Elite status in 2010.  Does anyone agree/disagree?  What's your point of view?

azchanning Platinum

Thanks all for the post.  I'll keep you posted.

innebandy Platinum
    Assuming I understand the Rollover program correctly, even if you fall back to silver status you should be able to get to gold again fairly quickly. If you get 45 nights this year, you'll use 10 nights to qualify for silver and roll over the remaining 35 to next year. Then, as soon as you stay 15 nights in 2010 you'll be back at gold status.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

you can also buy back status if they continue the program that they had at the start of 2009--call Marriott Rewards in January to ask.

texasgirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Very little leniency usually - and they move you right back to silver. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...